The Student Room Group

A level stress

Hi guys hope you're all good!

We've got just under 3 months till our exams !! I have not even began proper revision on my A levels because I keep prioritising my EPQ and coursework over it. Anyone on the same boat and any idea with how I will cope with the remaining time? Would really appreciate!

Scroll to see replies

Same here. My teachers keep loading us with homework and exams and then wondering why we all haven't started revising yet. It's reached the point where we're all wiped out and demotivated from doing any work.
Reply 2
Original post by GeT_iN_SHinJI
Same here. My teachers keep loading us with homework and exams and then wondering why we all haven't started revising yet. It's reached the point where we're all wiped out and demotivated from doing any work.

My teachers don't give much homework but even when they do I don't bother completing it because they never mark it. But also demotivated from doing any work and am panicking but rarely starting any work. :'( I know what to do but I just cannot be bothered. What A levels are you studying?
Original post by NurseA
My teachers don't give much homework but even when they do I don't bother completing it because they never mark it. But also demotivated from doing any work and am panicking but rarely starting any work. :'( I know what to do but I just cannot be bothered. What A levels are you studying?

Maths, Chemistry and Computer Science :frown: wbu?
Reply 4
Maths, Chemistry and Computer Science :frown: wbu?

Completely different to yours ; Psychology, Sociology & Religious Studies. How are you finding those subjects?
Original post by NurseA
Completely different to yours ; Psychology, Sociology & Religious Studies. How are you finding those subjects?

Computer Science is super chill (literally the only reason I haven't dropped out of college yet), Chemistry lessons are ok - our teacher is super fun but Chemistry the subject is a royal pain in the ass, and Maths is the worst thing to ever happen to me. The only reason I even picked maths was because I need A-level maths to take Computer Science in uni and then Chemistry was a random spur of the moment choice I fully regret. So yea these two years of college have been the worst 2 years of my life and I can't wait to get out of here.

So like, just out of interest, what are you planning to do after college? Is there a particular career you want to go into or?
Original post by NurseA

We've got just under 3 months till our exams !! I have not even began proper revision on my A levels because I keep prioritising my EPQ and coursework over it. Anyone on the same boat and any idea with how I will cope with the remaining time? Would really appreciate!

Heya!
I would recommend prioritising your actual alvls as the grades are very important :h: Make sure to do lots of practice by doing past papers. If it helps, Study Mind has free past papers you can use for your revision.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 7
Computer Science is super chill (literally the only reason I haven't dropped out of college yet), Chemistry lessons are ok - our teacher is super fun but Chemistry the subject is a royal pain in the ass, and Maths is the worst thing to ever happen to me. The only reason I even picked maths was because I need A-level maths to take Computer Science in uni and then Chemistry was a random spur of the moment choice I fully regret. So yea these two years of college have been the worst 2 years of my life and I can't wait to get out of here.

So like, just out of interest, what are you planning to do after college? Is there a particular career you want to go into or?

I can imagine how you'd feel about Maths! I understand that you'd need maths to take Computer Science at uni, and the maths involved in that Uni subject would be a lot more specific to the career and would make a lot more sense than A level maths. Chemistry compliments your other A level subjects well, but don't worry just 3 months of hell to go! For me, I enjoy the content in Psychology but I had a teacher change and I much prefer my previous teacher :frown: Sociology is quite content heavy and I'm panicking with how I'll revise this year and last year's content! But I do find some of the theories interesting. RS is completely different to GCSE, and we have 30 markers which I don't know how to structure because my teacher has not taught us yet!!

After college, I plan to go to Uni to study Mental Health Nursing. So essentially the degree itself is training to go into the Nursing career. Why do you wish to study Computer Science?
Original post by NurseA

I guess Pomodoro and just revising generally. Get that EPQ done, the coursework shouldn't be that tough. The exams are most important anyway.

Original post by NurseA
I can imagine how you'd feel about Maths! I understand that you'd need maths to take Computer Science at uni, and the maths involved in that Uni subject would be a lot more specific to the career and would make a lot more sense than A level maths. Chemistry compliments your other A level subjects well, but don't worry just 3 months of hell to go! For me, I enjoy the content in Psychology but I had a teacher change and I much prefer my previous teacher :frown: Sociology is quite content heavy and I'm panicking with how I'll revise this year and last year's content! But I do find some of the theories interesting. RS is completely different to GCSE, and we have 30 markers which I don't know how to structure because my teacher has not taught us yet!!

After college, I plan to go to Uni to study Mental Health Nursing. So essentially the degree itself is training to go into the Nursing career. Why do you wish to study Computer Science?

Well I'm taking Math, Psychology and Physics. Planning to go to university to study maths or statistics.
Original post by NurseA

Honestly, the worst thing is, when I looked through the comp courses for uni they all have maths modules that don't sound like anything we've learnt at A-Level but hey 3 months left! :redface:

If you couldn't already tell, I'm definitely not an essay-based subjects person, I can't even imagine how much crap you have to memorise for all 3 of your subjects (rip). I do remember RS being "the easy subject" back in GCSE (I never took it, but I do remember everyone boasting about how easy it was) but 30 marker questions sounds pretty crazy (how much time do you get for these exams???)

That's a cool career choice (let's hope by the time you graduate and everything the pay will no longer be in the absolute dumps!).

Up until now, my subjects choices have always been a matter of elimination (i.e. narrow down subjects until the least worst ones are left) and that was the same when I chose Chemistry and Computer Science A-Levels. The A-Level Comp coursework was actually the 1st time I've actually lowkey enjoyed studying, so I'm currently thinking of going to a career in software development or something related.
Reply 10
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
I would recommend prioritising your actual alvls as the grades are very important :h: Make sure to do lots of practice by doing past papers. If it helps, Study Mind has free past papers you can use for your revision.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Hi there!

Thank you for informing me about Study Mind. I'll definitely look into that as I've been struggling to find past papers for my subjects :smile:!
Reply 11
Original post by justlearning1469
I guess Pomodoro and just revising generally. Get that EPQ done, the coursework shouldn't be that tough. The exams are most important anyway.

Well I'm taking Math, Psychology and Physics. Planning to go to university to study maths or statistics.

I'll look into the Pomodoro technique and try it. I'll try sitting down for it today - its just that I mentally struggle with revision, I just cannot put my thoughts aside when trying to revise :frown: Plus, I like to read over a range of sources and then form my own notes from them. True that, I really should not delay any further as I'm sure with the time remaining, me and others on the same path can still achieve an A/A* if we put our head down.

Maths and Physics together wow! I struggled with those at GCSE and could never imagine choosing them for A Levels. Nice career choice as you've got plenty of career choices you could get into after graduation. How are you finding your A Levels and revision in general?
Original post by NurseA
I'll look into the Pomodoro technique and try it. I'll try sitting down for it today - its just that I mentally struggle with revision, I just cannot put my thoughts aside when trying to revise :frown: Plus, I like to read over a range of sources and then form my own notes from them. True that, I really should not delay any further as I'm sure with the time remaining, me and others on the same path can still achieve an A/A* if we put our head down.

Maths and Physics together wow! I struggled with those at GCSE and could never imagine choosing them for A Levels. Nice career choice as you've got plenty of career choices you could get into after graduation. How are you finding your A Levels and revision in general?

Pomodoro technique: 25 min studying, 5 minute break. Repeat for four times of 25 min studying, then long break.

The problem is that 25 min may be too short/long for you. Maybe if you can't focus for long enough, 15 or even 10 minutes would do the trick.

I don't really have too many notes for math/physics, just spamming textbook questions. For psychology... some notes, even if packed and messy.

You can achieve A/A* if you put your head down. And perhaps I should try it.

Maths and Physics are related, especially the mechanics part. For Maths I didn't find it too difficult, just need a solid foundation and practice to get A* and move on to university. For physics, not planning to take it further, so perhaps A, and same for psychology.

Revision: Effectively, probably only 2-3 hours a day. The rest is procrastination, hyperactivity and distractions. I'm homeschooled so effectively my "revision" is learning plus actually revising.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 13
Honestly, the worst thing is, when I looked through the comp courses for uni they all have maths modules that don't sound like anything we've learnt at A-Level but hey 3 months left! :redface:

If you couldn't already tell, I'm definitely not an essay-based subjects person, I can't even imagine how much crap you have to memorise for all 3 of your subjects (rip). I do remember RS being "the easy subject" back in GCSE (I never took it, but I do remember everyone boasting about how easy it was) but 30 marker questions sounds pretty crazy (how much time do you get for these exams???)

That's a cool career choice (let's hope by the time you graduate and everything the pay will no longer be in the absolute dumps!).

Up until now, my subjects choices have always been a matter of elimination (i.e. narrow down subjects until the least worst ones are left) and that was the same when I chose Chemistry and Computer Science A-Levels. The A-Level Comp coursework was actually the 1st time I've actually lowkey enjoyed studying, so I'm currently thinking of going to a career in software development or something related.

What you've mentioned regarding maths modules differing to A Level maths, is what I've heard regarding A Level Law being completely different to Law at Uni. I don't know how that works but I'm sure you'll enjoy the maths taught at Uni as it'll be a lot more specific to CS and as a result you'll be more fascinated to learn about it and how to apply it to real life especially the career you get into after graduation. I personally detest Maths! But for Nursing, some modules include learning how to make drug calculations etc which is maths that I'd need for my career and it seems a lot more interesting when actually applied to practice (not learning pythagorus theorum which till this day I still do not understand why we needed to learn that nor do I know how to spell it lol!).

You literally need to learn what each theorist/theologian said about each concept! Like the concepts themselves seem straightforward but learning their criticisms and arguments will make my brain explode! I did RS for GCSE and let me tell you it was one of the easiest GCSEs in existence to confirm what others have said, which is why I chose it for A level (huge regret). The exam for RS and sociology is 3 hours each!! Yes you heard that right. And no breaks in between. I think we're advised to take 40-50 mins on 30 markers.

I chose mental health nursing specifically because psychology is a fascinating subject to me, and mental health is still a stigma in many cultures, and I really want to be the person to break those stigmas. I'm hoping for the same! By 3 years a lot would've changed.

I'm glad you're choosing a degree which not only do you have an idea of what career you'd like to go into upon graduation but also one that links with your interests. You'll most likely enjoy the course at Uni which is what we want! I personally do not enjoy coursework, but its a good thing you do as I'm imagining CS would be quite heavily coursework based at Uni. Nursing is 50% academic and 50% practical.
Reply 14
Pomodoro technique: 25 min studying, 5 minute break. Repeat for four times of 25 min studying, then long break.

The problem is that 25 min may be too short/long for you. Maybe if you can't focus for long enough, 15 or even 10 minutes would do the trick.

Thank you for teaching me about the technique, appreciate that. I wish I incorporated this at the start of the year, but now with 3 months left, I need to try the 25 min. With coursework its easier to focus but when it comes to A level revision I need to read read read then write out notes. Regret is really building in me but its definitely not too late. Hope you're going well with revision.
Original post by NurseA
Thank you for teaching me about the technique, appreciate that. I wish I incorporated this at the start of the year, but now with 3 months left, I need to try the 25 min. With coursework its easier to focus but when it comes to A level revision I need to read read read then write out notes. Regret is really building in me but its definitely not too late. Hope you're going well with revision.

No problem! Try out 25 minutes, if it's too long/short then readjust. The lengthy reading sucks, especially for essay-based subjects when you don't have a long attention span.
Reply 16
No problem! Try out 25 minutes, if it's too long/short then readjust. The lengthy reading sucks, especially for essay-based subjects when you don't have a long attention span.

I'm trying 25 mins by putting a timer on my phone and seeing how much work I get done within the set time. Its easier for non-overthinkers :frown: I think I may not have fully read your other forum reply, but I feel although I'd personally find Maths and Physics A levels a lot more difficult, it is easy to revise than essay based subjects. 2-3 hours per day of revision is very impressive! Best of luck on your revision :smile:
Original post by NurseA
I'm trying 25 mins by putting a timer on my phone and seeing how much work I get done within the set time. Its easier for non-overthinkers :frown: I think I may not have fully read your other forum reply, but I feel although I'd personally find Maths and Physics A levels a lot more difficult, it is easy to revise than essay based subjects. 2-3 hours per day of revision is very impressive! Best of luck on your revision :smile:

be careful about having your phone with you when working. If it works for you that's completely fine, but personally I get too distracted so best put it in the other room :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by aspir0r
be careful about having your phone with you when working. If it works for you that's completely fine, but personally I get too distracted so best put it in the other room :smile:

I've deleted all my socials to mentally detox myself as well as getting rid of distractions! Youtube is still a distraction, but for me, I just mentally struggle to focus. I think this may be due to an undiagnosed mental illness of mine as I overthink about past situations and feel a lot of regret as well as already accepting that I'm a failure. In other words, my mind is my biggest distraction! But I will keep trying, and tbh today I did not do any A level revision due to physically feeling very unwell, so tomorrow I'll try. I'll prioritise A level revision first, then work on coursework. Thank you for your tips and advice :h:
Original post by NurseA

revise in a way you feel comfortable with - if it works for you then thats whats important - there isnt a right or wrong way

also just wanted to share some exam stress relieving tips
grounding techniques: - 5 things you can see 4 things you can hear 3 things you can touch 2 things you can smell and 1 thing you can taste (sounds stupid but it works if you keep forcing yourself to focus on it even if you drift)
slowing your heart rate - not by taking massive deep breaths but by slowing down (google counting techniques if you think that'd help)
remember that a levels are really not the be all and end all and you have tons of back up options and there's always retakes and clearing if it doesnt go as hoped
if you can do the happy place technique that's helpful too - visualise something calm
repeating quotes from a song or something that you like in your head

hope this is useful x

Quick Reply

Latest