The Student Room Group

A level choices and career hopes- care to share?

Scroll to see replies

Biology, Chemistry, History and English lit or Sociology.

Hopefully if my grades are excellent then Dentistry/Medicine.

And as a back up, if i flop sciences, try for Law.

:biggrin:
Biology - AQA
Chemistry - OCR A
Economics - AQA
Modern history - Edexcel

Medicine calling :jive:

I had a meeting at the renal unit near(ish) to where I live earlier. It just looked so fun and interesting and important :tongue:

If that doesn't work out, midwifery... but hopefully Plan A will work!
Biology, chemistry, maths and psychology and hopefully able to do medicine!
I'm doing English, Italian, French, History and Media Studies and looking to do Japanese & Linguistics at Edinburgh Uni next year. I can't find anyone who's doing the same course :/
As long as I get decent AS grades, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be studying A2's in English lang & lit, French and German and another AS in sociology.

In an ideal world, I'd like to study English and French at university, but my ideal job changes every week :lol:. Maybe something to do with writing?
Original post by ZakariaMar
Nope, I'm not that good at maths although I probably could; it's just that it's so time consuming and I'm not really into it enough, although I am always interested in learning new areas in maths which seems contradictory but anyway, I wish you the best of luck in that test!!

By the way I recommend this documentary- you may have seen it- called 'beautiful young minds', it's about the selection process for the british IMO team (well in 2005/06)

They guy they focus on at the start is a horrible human being who think's he is smarter than everyone else.
English (combined lit and lang)
Religious Studies
Biology
Psychology or History.

Want to get an English Lit degree.
Reply 147
Original post by _Morsey_
I am taking Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Geography and hopefully Further Maths incorporated in there also somewhere. I am still debating what to take further up the line, however current thoughts is an Engineering course.

what as in Civil Engineering or like cars?
In 6th form I'm taking Maths, physics and further Maths too :smile: Also I'm taking Art, Design and Tech. I'm hoping to get an apprenticeship in Civil Engineering afterwards :h:
Reply 148
Original post by hopingtobeadentist
Yeeehh it is but I'm not sure I would like it at college

I'm loving it at sixthform! :biggrin: DO IT DO IT haha
I want to do Medicine and I'm thinking of Physics, Chemistry and Biology (+Philosophy) I'm not sure if not having Maths would be detrimental but I've read it's not a necessity.
Reply 150
I'm hoping to do Maths, Economics, French and Further Maths (call me crazy) :P
I've just completed my AS's this year and I take Law, Psychology, English Language and English Literature. I've dropped English Lit cause it was so difficult and so stressful and wasn't worth the time or effort! I hope to do Law at Uni or Teaching :smile:
A levels:
Maths
Further Maths (not sure if I can fit it all in, maybe just AS)
Chemistry
Physics
French
Welsh Bacc.

AS (will sit early)
History
Business
Extended Project

Chemical Engineering ;D
Reply 153
Original post by Aquar
I'm taking Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths and Further Maths, with the intention of pursuing a career in medicine.

Hey there!
I am doing the same to enter medicine however I am not doing further maths purely because unis don't take it seriously because I am doing normal maths already... My teacher said that subjects from the same category would be considered as one... Thought I might let you know.. :biggrin: cheers
Reply 154
Original post by drhaj
Hey there!
I am doing the same to enter medicine however I am not doing further maths purely because unis don't take it seriously because I am doing normal maths already... My teacher said that subjects from the same category would be considered as one... Thought I might let you know.. :biggrin: cheers

As I already said, the fact that they are considered the same is not relevant as I will still have FOUR A-levels. Should I not make it into medicine, I will be doing something like computer science or physics, both of which value Further Maths highly.

Thanks for your input, but I know what I'm doing.
I'm taking Maths, Physics, ICT and German and hoping to get into a MechEng degree. Torn between going into engineering or banking but I'll see when I finish. However I went to see a play not too long ago and it's like someone had performed inception on me because ever since I've had this crazy idea of becoming a Filmmaker/Actor growing in my head ever since. Mind you, it's not like I've never thought about it before but it was more of a hobby but now I'm thinking of taking it more seriously. Who knows, I could become the next Rowan Atkinson!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I'm doing Biology, Physics and Psychology and dropped English Lit at AS. Hopefully I will be studying Optometry at uni in September. I would like to work in diagnostics in a hospital and work my way up eventually to be a consultant optometrist! That is the dream :smile:
Original post by g.k.galloway
Biology
Chemistry
Economics
Maths
(maybe further maths)

For Medicine or Chemical Engineering
If medicine then I would love to move on to Pediatrics :smile:

So do you not need physics, if you decide to change your mind to chemical engineering? I'm in a similar situation and have put down:

Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics
but would like to change physics to geography, but i dont wont chemical engineering to be ruled out :confused:

EDIT: I also have the option of further maths
Reply 158
It's a shame so many people are attempting to get into medicine as 90% will fail undoubtedly as they simply over estimate themselves. Oh well guys, as long as you can get all A stars in everything which is academic and do volunteering for about a million years then you may have a 5% chance of succeeding! It's even more of a shame that even when accepted into medical school, a huge amount are let go.
Original post by Michael's
It's a shame so many people are attempting to get into medicine as 90% will fail undoubtedly as they simply over estimate themselves. Oh well guys, as long as you can get all A stars in everything which is academic and do volunteering for about a million years then you may have a 5% chance of succeeding! It's even more of a shame that even when accepted into medical school, a huge amount are let go.

Well aim high then fall back low; learn from your mistakes and get on with your life and choose to do something else.

Quick Reply

Latest