The Student Room Group

What is special consideration and would I be entitled to it?

Hi everyone,
So I've been having a bit of a tough time at home recently. My Dad has struggled with depression for a couple of years now, and a few weeks ago, he tried to take his own life.

Teachers at schools started to spot that I've become a little deflated and I spoke to one about it, and he said he would apply for special consideration for me, because he felt it would be affecting the way I was studying. I said that was okay, but I'm a little confused.

What exactly is special consideration? What does it involve? I thought you were only allowed it following the immediate death of a close family member, or if you fell ill or something?
Reply 1
I think it's where they increase your grades by up to 5%. 5% is things like terminal illness, very recent death of an immediate family member, but you can get 1% for having a headache during the exam apparently, so I'm sure you'll be entitled to at least more than 1%. And I hope things get better for your family soon; I know how awful it is to see a parent go through something like that :hugs:

http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/published/1096/AA%20regs%202011-2012%20edited%2011102011.pdf
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm not sure about percentages, never heard that, but I do know if you have special consideration they take into account your circumstances when marking your paper. It can't do any harm, you might as well go for it :smile:

Sorry to hear about your dad btw, depression is not an easy illness to live with for either the person suffering from it or their family.
Original post by madders94
I think it's where they increase your grades by up to 5%. 5% is things like terminal illness, very recent death of an immediate family member, but you can get 1% for having a headache during the exam apparently, so I'm sure you'll be entitled to at least more than 1%. And I hope things get better for your family soon; I know how awful it is to see a parent go through something like that :hugs:

Thankyou so much :smile: I never realised that you could get 1% for having a headache- wouldn't everybody be complaining of migraines all the time? hehe :tongue:

Original post by aberdeenchick
I'm not sure about percentages, never heard that, but I do know if you have special consideration they take into account your circumstances when marking your paper. It can't do any harm, you might as well go for it :smile:

Sorry to hear about your dad btw, depression is not an easy illness to live with for either the person suffering from it or their family.

Thankyou for your reply, and no it isn't easy, though its certainly easier to deal with my talking to people about it. I will definitely be going for it though, I guess I have nothing to lose!
:smile: It's good to hear you're talking about it :smile: If you ever want to talk drop me a message don't hesitate :smile:
Reply 5
Times like these I love TSR when I see everyone helping one another.

Quick Reply

Latest