The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Amirrryy
yea i know all the definitions for hashing but i mean will they for example give us a table and tell us to hash it using open hashing/closed hashing ? i doubt it i think?

Everyone's tending to say the opposite actually. It hasn't come up in the past two papers, so there's a good chance it could come up.
yea i know all the definitions for hashing but i mean will they for example give us a table and tell us to hash it using open hashing/closed hashing ? i doubt it i think?

Probably not a practical example like that. But the 6 Marker is likely to have something to do with Hashing.
Reply 382
Original post by FredrickTrott
Probably not a practical example like that. But the 6 Marker is likely to have something to do with Hashing.

I agree that hashing will come up, but like what type of question could they ask for the six marker? Like why is hashing is important?

If they do ask that question, I will say that hashing will produce hash values by using a hashing algorithm. Since hashing is a one way process, it cannot be rehashed to reproduce the value. Hashing has also found its way in assymetric encryption, in the sense that plain text is hashed to produce a message digest.

To be honest, I don't know how many marks I would get for this question. Can someone tell me if it is right and then perhaps expand on it.

I just think they will ask us to do a hashing table.

The six markers maybe to do with...

Routers/gateways

Network interface cards

Peer to peer networks

Assymetric encryption

Firewalls

Thin computing vs thick computing

OS classification

How do you know which type of entity relationship exists? Sometimes I get it wrong and don't know how to spot what type is it e.g is it many to one or many to many ?
Someone please help

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 384
Original post by exam2k10
I agree that hashing will come up, but like what type of question could they ask for the six marker? Like why is hashing is important?

If they do ask that question, I will say that hashing will produce hash values by using a hashing algorithm. Since hashing is a one way process, it cannot be rehashed to reproduce the value. Hashing has also found its way in assymetric encryption, in the sense that plain text is hashed to produce a message digest.

To be honest, I don't know how many marks I would get for this question. Can someone tell me if it is right and then perhaps expand on it.

Routers/gateways

Network interface cards

Peer to peer networks

Assymetric encryption

Firewalls

OS classification

It'll no doubt be something like 'compare and contrast the use of open/closed hashing' or 'discuss the advantages and disadvantages of different types of hashing'
Reply 385
Original post by mujahid_e3
How do you know which type of entity relationship exists? Sometimes I get it wrong and don't know how to spot what type is it e.g is it many to one or many to many ?
Someone please help

Usually it's just guesswork and thinking (or heuristics as it should be called now) seeing how many different possibilities each relation could be. Sorry I can't explain it better, it's kind of become second nature from web development!
Original post by jtanna
It'll no doubt be something like 'compare and contrast the use of open/closed hashing' or 'discuss the advantages and disadvantages of different types of hashing'

What are the disadvantages and advantages of different types of hashing? Is it comparing both closed and open

Reply 387
Just did the 2010 paper and got 78 :smile: I think I was a bit harsh on marking some questions though so I took like 7 marks off to give 71, so that's 98/120 --> 81.7% which I'd be extremely happy with but I doubt I'll do as well as that!

Good luck to everyone tomorrow, let's hope it's a nice exam (ha) !
Original post by exam2k10

Routers/gateways

Network interface cards

Peer to peer networks

Assymetric encryption

Firewalls

OS classification

The 6 marker could be a Digital Signatures question, which mentions hashing. I feel it is going to be an OS classification question, but we'll find out tommorow. Good Luck Everyone!!!
Reply 389
Original post by FredrickTrott
The 6 marker could be a Digital Signatures question, which mentions hashing. I feel it is going to be an OS classification question, but we'll find out tommorow. Good Luck Everyone!!!

Wasn't the 6 mark from the 2010 paper about OS? It was talking about desktop operating systems and so on... I doubt it'll be OS's this time
Original post by ldvico
Wasn't the 6 mark from the 2010 paper about OS? It was talking about desktop operating systems and so on... I doubt it'll be OS's this time

Not the 6 Marker, The June 2010 6 Marker was about CDMA, and networking.

There was 4 marker on OS's, but it only covered difference between Desktop, and Embedded systems.
Original post by BalletDystopia
And yet another question that will probably help everyone. Abstraction by generalization and by representation. I really don't understand the book on these 2 parts. Could someone explain it simply like i'm 5 please? :smile:
I think that is a really fluffy thing :tongue: I can't believe they'll ask a question on it, because it really isn't clear!
Reply 392
Im just going over networks and OS's.

I suspect the following may come up and Im covered for them...

Hashing

Traversal of trees (Completely Discovered? Explored?)

Turing Machine + Busy Beaver

Reply 393

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5Mavwrp__I&feature=channel&list=UL
This explains hashing.
Reply 394
They've never asked about traversing a graph, so that is likely to come up.

Make sure you know your breadth- and depth- first traversals, as they're not in the book. Once, you've learnt them, just remember that breadth=queue and depth=stack.

Very good explanation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or9xlA3YYzo
Reply 395
I'm having some trouble with floating point numbers (again).

What is the smallest negative number that can be stored using a normalised floating point system with and 8 bit mansissa and a 4 bit exponent?
Reply 397
Original post by darkskill

What is the smallest negative number that can be stored using a normalised floating point system with and 8 bit mansissa and a 4 bit exponent?

1.000 0000 (1000)

e=-8
m*e=-0.00000001

I think this is right.

EDIT: Wait, the book says 1.0111111 1000. TBH, I doubt they'd ask this, but it's worth knowing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 398
Lool, my friend told me hashing was something to do with Twitter :tongue:
Reply 399
Original post by darkskill

Original post by drspa44
1.000 0000 (1000)

e=-8
m*e=-0.00000001

I think this is right.

EDIT: Wait, the book says 1.0111111 1000. TBH, I doubt they'd ask this, but it's worth knowing.

Yeah, the smallest *positive* number would be 0.10000000. 1000, and the smallest negative number has the same exponent but with a reversed mantissa like the one you said.

Largest +/-ve number BOTH have an e of 0111 and opposing mantissas - 0.1111111 for +ve and the opposite for -ve
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending