Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

AQA COMP3 June 2012 Exam Thread

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drspa44)
    In a bus or star network, can there be a collision with incoming and outgoing traffic between the same two nodes? In which case, to state 'no collisions' as an advantage of a star network would be wrong.
    Indeed but signals that aren't destined for either the sender or receiver will not cause collision
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    To add to exam2k10's prediction,
    (Original post by exam2k10)
    This is what Im going for now, based on the papers I have done.
    • Traversal of Binary Trees (Inorder, Preorder, Postorder, Depth First, Breadth First)
    • Hashing
    • Insertion Sort
    • Traversal of Binary Trees which involve a stack, thus making it a recursive routine
    • SQL + Normalisation
    • Peer To Peer networks/ public key + private key
    • Firewalls
    • Thin Computing vs Rich Computing (Can someone please give me a good answer to this as I feel that it may come up)
    • OS Classification, API, Virtual machine
    • Abstraction + Information hiding
    • Stages of simulation
    • 'Interesting Binary Numbers' - under the Binary section, things like smallest/biggest
    • Hand Trace recursion (can't remember who's post this was from, but saw it about page 8)

Can't think of anything else, but good luck to everyone!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Gonna start getting ready for School.

Good Luck to Everyone!!! Lets hope for an easy Paper
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Heading to school now so I can grab some lunch and skim read through everything. Best of luck to everyone
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    I found COMP2 ridiculously easy last year, hoping today goes equally well.

But if not, I take comfort in knowing I can afford to loose some marks due to relatively low grade boundaries. It's about 80/100 for an A* and 70/100 for an A.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm off. Good luck everyone!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought the paper was really suited to my strengths and all the questions I thought that would come up, came up.. Really easy paper in my opinion if you know the definitions.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Not too bad a paper, looking forward to other peoples answers

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was expecting much worse tbh. Everything that came up I'd revised for so hopefully I've worded all the definitions correctly! That recursion trace table was a b*tch though, took me about half an hour to do just that! I'd say overall quite an easy paper.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree with those who found it quite easy. Though I expect I'd have said the same about the previous papers. And TSR probably isn't representative of everybody sitting it.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prings21)
    I was expecting much worse tbh. Everything that came up I'd revised for so hopefully I've worded all the definitions correctly! That recursion trace table was a b*tch though, took me about half an hour to do just that! I'd say overall quite an easy paper.
    I felt it was ok. I think I messed up on the recursion trace and the fill in the blanks was a silly error on my part as I couldn't remember the second bit Other than that it should be ok. What did you get for the order of complexity for the first algorithm?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yash13)
    I felt it was ok. I think I messed up on the recursion trace and the fill in the blanks was a silly error on my part as I couldn't remember the second bit Other than that it should be ok. What did you get for the order of complexity for the first algorithm?
    I put a^n
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drumdrum)
    I put a^n
    Pretty sure it was n^2. Although I'm not sure why the algorithm doesn't work in some cases...
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I put a^n
    Damn I put O(n) :afraid:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yash13)
    Damn I put O(n) :afraid:
    Ahh im not saying for a second im right, 'n^2' was my first answer however. I assumed it wasn't 'n' because that means its linear right?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahh im not saying for a second im right, 'n^2' was my first answer however. I assumed it wasn't 'n' because that means its linear right?
    The basic operation decides order of complexity? So the Bop was W1 = W2, I thought that is a linear comparison. I don't know makes me a bit sick when I think of it. Only 3 marks so its ok I guess but they build up
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It was n^2 because n^2 basic operations were carried out.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    For that three mark dry run table I swear there was no output.

I then went on to say that it was O(n) cos I swear it was some sort of linear search

On the whole, I think the paper was good.

For the normalisation question, what did people put down for the two properties regarding the relations?
    I put..
    1) There should be no redundacies
    2) There should be no repeating groups
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exam2k10)
    For that three mark dry run table I swear there was no output.
    I thought there was 2 :confused:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    N^2 should have been correct, as is was a nested for loop, cycling through n times twice. Technically it should be 2n^2, as there were 2 comparisons, but multiples dont matter

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Updated: January 6, 2013
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.