The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not looking forward to this exam. Hopefully my coursework can help me get a decent end grade!

Also, the specification is painfully vague about what it wants you to know :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Annoying that the spec is so new and so vague. I keep thinking I know most of the theory and only having the same past paper questions to test it on! Here's a link that our teacher gave us for some flash cards if anyone wants them:

http://quizlet.com/2206720/a2-computing-unit-3-flash-cards/
Reply 3
Yes this exam is very difficult, revision is a necessity.
Reply 4
How are you revising? I know it sounds strange, but there aren't many past paper questions to go off
Reply 5
I'm really worried about this exam =S Because of the size of the project, we've hardly done any Unit 3 stuff, I've being trying the past papers out and there is so much to take in, hopefully those flashcards will help but if anyone has done this exam before, please give us some tips =)
Reply 6
this is a stupid question, but I havent done an AQA exam in ages (since may 2010) so I don't remember what they are like

when drawing diagrams (like an inheritance diagram, for example), would it be okay to draw in pencil? or should you draw in pen?
Original post by ms607
this is a stupid question, but I havent done an AQA exam in ages (since may 2010) so I don't remember what they are like

when drawing diagrams (like an inheritance diagram, for example), would it be okay to draw in pencil? or should you draw in pen?

Id initially draw it in pencil so if any mistakes occur i can rub it out and then go over in pen to ensure when the papers are photocopied the data is not lost :/

AQA Comp 3 is the only exam im not ready for :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by JakeyShakey
Id initially draw it in pencil so if any mistakes occur i can rub it out and then go over in pen to ensure when the papers are photocopied the data is not lost :/

AQA Comp 3 is the only exam im not ready for :frown:

thanks! I'm in the same situation too... I repeated the A2 year because I was ill for most of last year, and there was no A2 computing class this year so I was put into the AS class and basically had to teach myself, and got so caught up with the coursework and didn't make enough time for theory so it's all a big rush now....!

Doesn't help that AQA is really vague about what they want us to know
Reply 9
Do any of you have access to ZigZag education or Keerboodle as these websites are helpful. I have got access to them but your school has to register you.
I'm going to be using these to help me revise, they are questions from the Old Spec Past papers categorised into the new spec modules. The Questions won't be exactly the same, but they are quite close

http://www.starteractivity.com/ictlesson/computing/comp3/cc2qa1.html
Reply 11
Original post by FredrickTrott
I'm going to be using these to help me revise, they are questions from the Old Spec Past papers categorised into the new spec modules. The Questions won't be exactly the same, but they are quite close

http://www.starteractivity.com/ictlesson/computing/comp3/cc2qa1.html

that's good, but some questions are just parts of questions where the explanation at the beginning is left out, so you don't know what they are talking about

The AQA website has a document matching old spec. questions to the new topics here, and the old spec papers from 2001-2005 are available under Teacher Resource Bank > Old specification Question Papers, Mark Schemes and Reports here

and of course 2006-end of old spec is available in the '6511 materials' tab of the computing page
Original post by ms607
that's good, but some questions are just parts of questions where the explanation at the beginning is left out, so you don't know what they are talking about

The AQA website has a document matching old spec. questions to the new topics here, and the old spec papers from 2001-2005 are available under Teacher Resource Bank > Old specification Question Papers, Mark Schemes and Reports here

and of course 2006-end of old spec is available in the '6511 materials' tab of the computing page

My Link is exactly what you've posted, except this gives the actual questions and answers, rather than just referencing the Paper and Question. Try taking a look first :wink:
Reply 13
Dreading this exam... it also is on the same day as my other main A2 exam which doesn't help.

I don't know if you guys are aware of this though, but results for this exam get scaled up quite a bit.
For example, 70/100 raw mark is an A, 60/100 raw mark is a B and so forth... so hopefully this will help us...
http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/index.php

I really need a B overall, I worked my socks off to get an A in my COMP4, but knowing my luck, coursework will most probably get marked down too lol
Reply 14
Original post by FredrickTrott
My Link is exactly what you've posted, except this gives the actual questions and answers, rather than just referencing the Paper and Question. Try taking a look first :wink:

I did look, I was just saying that some questions in a topic are orphaned parts of questions

I clicked a random topic and some questions were just parts of a full question that left out the beginning, like part (c) of a random question asking you to do something referencing earlier parts or the explanation at the beginning

wasn't saying it was useless :colondollar:

in fact, the little folded page image link provides some good powerpoint presentations for topics, so thanks :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by Kya
Dreading this exam... it also is on the same day as my other main A2 exam which doesn't help.

I don't know if you guys are aware of this though, but results for this exam get scaled up quite a bit.
For example, 70/100 raw mark is an A, 60/100 raw mark is a B and so forth... so hopefully this will help us...
http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/index.php

I really need a B overall, I worked my socks off to get an A in my COMP4, but knowing my luck, coursework will most probably get marked down too lol

yeah, that's the one good thing about this exam, but I'm trying not to think about that because it'll only make me work less for it if I have a 'oh well it'll get scaled up' mindset :frown:

I also need at least a B, and I have no idea what my (provisional) coursework mark was...........

hopefully it is kind to us, but not too kind that it isn't scaled up much :biggrin:
Reply 16
WOW after i started looking at the exam questions.... this exam is actually hard :frown:
Wish my teachers could teach and we have not even finished the syllabus WTF... duno why we spent soo much time on projects when this unit has sooo much content within it.
Luckly i got a A in comp 2, and 4 and hoping for a A in comp 1.... so i think i need like a D or a C to get my overall B and thats about 50-62 marks out of 100 :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by ms607
yeah, that's the one good thing about this exam, but I'm trying not to think about that because it'll only make me work less for it if I have a 'oh well it'll get scaled up' mindset :frown:

I also need at least a B, and I have no idea what my (provisional) coursework mark was...........

hopefully it is kind to us, but not too kind that it isn't scaled up much :biggrin:

You see what worries me is that my teacher has no idea how UMS works.
He casually gave us a piece of paper stating our COMP2 UMS mark, COMP1 UMS mark & COMP4 RAW mark then casually worked out the average and gave us a percentage lol

When I told him he had to convert the COMP4 RAW mark out of 75 to 80 since COMP4 is 40% of the course, he looked at me like I was mad and said I am complicating things.

He also said that he marked cwk harsh last year and marks went up... I hope he actually means the RAW marks went up and didn't assume marks went up because cwk marks are scaled up by 5 marks for UMS...

Original post by rugito
WOW after i started looking at the exam questions.... this exam is actually hard :frown:
Wish my teachers could teach and we have not even finished the syllabus WTF... duno why we spent soo much time on projects when this unit has sooo much content within it.
Luckly i got a A in comp 2, and 4 and hoping for a A in comp 1.... so i think i need like a D or a C to get my overall B and thats about 50-62 marks out of 100 :biggrin:

A D to C will be around 42-51 out of 100 according to last year's paper, lucky you :smile:

It seems to be quite the norm that most people sitting this exam seem to have spent so much time on the coursework that this theory exam seems to be a huge amount of information to take in, during such a short period of time.
I suffer from this, you suffer from it and so does everybody else who has posted in here... it's annoying, it really is.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Kya
You see what worries me is that my teacher has no idea how UMS works.
He casually gave us a piece of paper stating our COMP2 UMS mark, COMP1 UMS mark & COMP4 RAW mark then casually worked out the average and gave us a percentage lol

When I told him he had to convert the COMP4 RAW mark out of 75 to 80 since COMP4 is 40% of the course, he looked at me like I was mad and said I am complicating things.

He also said that he marked cwk harsh last year and marks went up... I hope he actually means the RAW marks went up and didn't assume marks went up because cwk marks are scaled up by 5 marks for UMS...

:eek: well let's hope it was the raw marks went up...

my teacher was the opposite for the 1st A2 year of the new spec - he said his cw was marked down :frown: no idea what happened last year as I was out of school, but I hope it doesn't get marked down again...

unrelated, but it sucks that this exam ends at like 4pm... I'm the only one in my school doing it too so it'll be me and a couple of random invigilators in a huge sports hall until 4pm :tumble:
Reply 19
Original post by ms607
:eek: well let's hope it was the raw marks went up...

my teacher was the opposite for the 1st A2 year of the new spec - he said his cw was marked down :frown: no idea what happened last year as I was out of school, but I hope it doesn't get marked down again...

unrelated, but it sucks that this exam ends at like 4pm... I'm the only one in my school doing it too so it'll be me and a couple of random invigilators in a huge sports hall until 4pm :tumble:

Yea my teacher said his cwk was marked down in the 1st year of the new spec, so they sent him on a cwk marking course or something and last year he apparently marked harshly and thus marks went up 2nd time round lol.
I do my comp3 in the morning due to a clash... If you don't mind me asking, how did you do at AS?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Latest

Trending

Trending