The Student Room Group

1 in 3 FEMALE american soldiers are raped!!

Scroll to see replies

And you're sexist. Why shouldn't a women serve in the Army? This is the type of logic that leads to things like women being forced to wear Burkha/not drive because men apparently have some uncontrollable rape/sexual assault urge. If a women wants to serve in the Army and understands the risks, why shouldn't she? It's like going to South Africa. There's many rapes happen but if you understand that and just attempt to be safe then what's the problem? Some people don't value safety very much i.e. those into extreme sports but that doesn't mean they're doing anything wrong.
Reply 21
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
And you're sexist. Why shouldn't a women serve in the Army? This is the type of logic that leads to things like women being forced to wear Burkha/not drive because men apparently have some uncontrollable rape/sexual assault urge. If a women wants to serve in the Army and understands the risks, why shouldn't she? It's like going to South Africa. There's many rapes happen but if you understand that and just attempt to be safe then what's the problem? Some people don't value safety very much i.e. those into extreme sports but that doesn't mean they're doing anything wrong.

They might understand the risks, but that doesn't mean it doesn't ruin their lives when it happens... It is very difficult to do anything about when they are off fighting in far away lands. It will almost always come down to the woman's word v the mans. I think we all know the burkha logic is retarded.
Original post by Elipsis
They might understand the risks, but that doesn't mean it doesn't ruin their lives when it happens... It is very difficult to do anything about when they are off fighting in far away lands. It will almost always come down to the woman's word v the mans. I think we all know the burkha logic is retarded.

And that applies to normal rapes as well hence why we have low conviction rates.

I don't see how it's retarded. "O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to bring down over themselves [part] of their outer garments. That is more suitable that they will be known and not be abused. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful." 33:59 - Tasfir (interpretation by early scholars); O Prophet! Tell your wives and daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks closely over themselves (jalābīb is the plural of jilbāb, which is a wrap that covers a woman totally) in other words, let them pull part of it [also] over their faces, leaving one eye [visible], when they need to leave [the house] for something. That makes it likelier that they will be known, to be free women, and not be molested, by being approached. In contrast, slavegirls did not use to cover their faces and so the disbelievers used to pester them. And God is Forgiving, of any occasion in the past when they may have neglected to cover themselves, Merciful, to them in His veiling them. and "If she was in her room, in her home, in her Hijab, no problem would have occurred." - Chief Mufti of Australia.

As you can see, in response to molestation/rape/sexual assault Allah forces women to cover up. What's the difference between that and us forcing women to not enter the army in response to molestation/rape/sexual assault?

They aren't always fighting, as soon as it happens it should be reported and a rape kit should be done and a investigation should take place as would've happened if another heinous crime would've been committed.
Reply 23
And that applies to normal rapes as well hence why we have low conviction rates.

I don't see how it's retarded. "O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to bring down over themselves [part] of their outer garments. That is more suitable that they will be known and not be abused. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful." 33:59 - Tasfir (interpretation by early scholars); O Prophet! Tell your wives and daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks closely over themselves (jalābīb is the plural of jilbāb, which is a wrap that covers a woman totally) in other words, let them pull part of it [also] over their faces, leaving one eye [visible], when they need to leave [the house] for something. That makes it likelier that they will be known, to be free women, and not be molested, by being approached. In contrast, slavegirls did not use to cover their faces and so the disbelievers used to pester them. And God is Forgiving, of any occasion in the past when they may have neglected to cover themselves, Merciful, to them in His veiling them. and "If she was in her room, in her home, in her Hijab, no problem would have occurred." - Chief Mufti of Australia.

As you can see, in response to molestation/rape/sexual assault Allah forces women to cover up. What's the difference between that and us forcing women to not enter the army in response to molestation/rape/sexual assault?

They aren't always fighting, as soon as it happens it should be reported and a rape kit should be done and a investigation should take place as would've happened if another heinous crime would've been committed.

Yeah but the odds are much lower in our civilised society. Covering up back then probably made sense, but doesn't any more. I know it's a trade off, but I don't think you're factoring in just how low the entry requirements for the American military are... It would make more sense just to have all female regiments.
Original post by Elipsis
Yeah but the odds are much lower in our civilised society. Covering up back then probably made sense, but doesn't any more. I know it's a trade off, but I don't think you're factoring in just how low the entry requirements for the American military are... It would make more sense just to have all female regiments.

Odds of what? Rape occurring?

It's not really much lower than ours,the vast majority of US military have high school diplomas which is A level equivalent. And that's only because they enlist at a young age, I'm sure most of them are capable of getting a college degree.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Flyteryder
1 in 3 women. There aren't as many women as men in the army, already reducing this statistic to a smaller scale. I doubt they've asked every woman in the US army whether they've been raped or not, and found this figure to be near to or exactly one third.

Maybe 1 in 3 women who were asked, and were only asked because the askers thought they would have been raped due to individual circumstances, have been, and the rest (the overwhelming majority which is probably 90%+ who have not been asked) have not been raped. The sample size is not big enough to warrant a massive outcry.

You assume it isn't. It's easily possible that this was an extensive & confidential internal investigation too.
Not surprised at all, you're going to get these 'jock' types in the army.
Original post by Drewski
While 1in3 is almost definitely a massive exaggeration, it's long been true that there's a violent bullying problem with the US Armed Forces and the US Army particularly. Sad, wrong and disappointing, but what are a bunch of students 3000miles away supposed to do about it?

Make a 30 minute long video simplifying a very complex issue, encouraging people to throw money at a problem and assume that in doing so, all the issues will be resolved?
Reply 28

Women aren't forced to cover up they do it because they want to. WERE on earth did you get that they are being forced to cover up.

Original post by Elipsis

what is the chief mufti's name? how do you know his interpretation is legit.
God does not force women to wear their face.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by kingsarecool

Why do women even agree to join the army?

So your logic is...

..Women shouldn't join the army, because men can't keep it in their pants?

I don't see how it's retarded. "O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to bring down over themselves [part] of their outer garments. That is more suitable that they will be known and not be abused. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful." 33:59 - Tasfir.

What has wearing a piece of cloth have to do with men not being able to control their sexual desires?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
I came across this in my exam procrastination yesterday.
It is a few years old but quite relevant to this discussion:

Warning, the description of what happened is quite distrubing.

Spoiler

Reply 31
Original post by Rooster523
Make a 30 minute long video simplifying a very complex issue, encouraging people to throw money at a problem and assume that in doing so, all the issues will be resolved?

Make Kony famous!!!!!!!!!!

I dont know where but i've seen this sort of stuff on the net (or on TV) before... I think it's like people in jail. After so long without any action, they cave, and in prison they have to make do with men (although they mainly do this to show their dominance i think, im no expert), whereas in the army, a mainly male environment with a few females, the urge would be even higher (i would assume). It's still inexcusable though.

Original post by DontJudge
So your logic is...

..Women shouldn't join the army, because men can't keep it in their pants?

What has wearing a piece of cloth have to do with men not being able to control their sexual desires?

So if you know there's a serious risk of you being raped, you would join the army anyway?
Reply 32
If men are the ones who are sexually assaulting and raping women, why are we questioning the women's right to be there rather than the men's ?

(I'm being facetious here but seriously.. the incidence of rape and the institutional covering up thereof is absolutely disgusting)
What is the actual point of this thread, which contains an outright lie in its title and a video from the notoriously reliable Russia Today? I can't tell if it's an idiotic attempt to attack the US military, or an idiotic attempt to say that it's the women's problem for joining the army. Whatever it is, I don't think it's an attempt to have a serious discussion of the problem of military sexual assault.
Reply 34
Original post by desijut

So if you know there's a serious risk of you being raped, you would join the army anyway?

Women who have a passion for joining the army since young have their dreams crashed, because of men who can't control themselves.

There are 'risks' to everything. But before entering the Army campus, it would ofcourse be outlined that attempting to rape a women would be violating the rules and regulations. So it's not something you would expect.

You could say the same with 'risking' yourself by visiting your relatives in East London, because you might get mugged. It is against the law to mug someone, but doesn't mean it will happen, because it 'shouldn't' happen. Therefore you will continue to visiting, because that was your intention.

Should someone always restrict their goals in life/ slow down their development of skills, because of 'what ifs?'.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
If 30 women in the army are asked whether they have been raped, due to individual circumstances which have been observed by the askers, that make their rape more likely such as male bullying, and 10 of them say yes, then yes 1 in 3 of those women have been raped.

Take all of the women of the US army and ask them whether they have been raped, the statistic is going to be much lower. Perhaps only those 30 from before have been raped, making it 30 out of x-thousand. Or it could be 100 out of x-thousand, not making 1 in 3.

Definitively ask every women in the US army whether they have been raped, and if 1 in 3 of them say yes, then I'm wrong; I won't be. There's no way that this is representative of every woman in the US army; it's obvious not even 1% have been asked. Get some understanding.

Your criticism of this report is based on nothing but speculation. Do you know the sample size? Why would you think they would ask women who they believe are more likely to have been raped? I'm going to look up the study and more scholarly articles but in the meantime have a look at this, which seems to confirm the statistic and details the horrible behaviour by the US military with regards to sexual assault and rape.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/dec/09/rape-us-military
Reply 36
and 1/3 male american soldiers are raped
Reply 37
1 in 3 women in the army get raped , 1 in 2 women in the world will be beaten by a man at some point in their life.Is anything we say on TSR going to affect it, i think not.
Reply 38
1 in 3 women. There aren't as many women as men in the army, already reducing this statistic to a smaller scale. I doubt they've asked every woman in the US army whether they've been raped or not, and found this figure to be near to or exactly one third.

Maybe 1 in 3 women who were asked, and were only asked because the askers thought they would have been raped due to individual circumstances, have been, and the rest (the overwhelming majority which is probably 90%+ who have not been asked) have not been raped. The sample size is not big enough to warrant a massive outcry.

They didnt state how big the sample size was but that is quite silly of you to think that the source will only be reliable if 100% people were asked... like come on is that even realistic to ask all the females in the us army? Even if a woman did get raped maybe she didnt stand forward as she may feel scared about it so she left it and stood in silence.

The way you type sounds like its okay for women to get raped in the army. Even if it was like 10% of women that was asked and 1 in 3 admitted they got raped, dont you think that is awful and disgusting?
Original post by barnetbuzzzz
Russia Today =/= reliable source, especially when reporting on American matters.

Unfortunately, fairly true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending