The Student Room Group

Should I join as regular officer before apply GEM or go straight to medicine ?

Hello everyone, I know that sound absolutely ridiculous and crazy but could you all please give me some advice on that. To introduce myself, I am Thomas and I come to the UK as international students (BNO visa holder) at 2022. I am currently studying A-level chemistry, Biology and maths. I have only got 6 GCSEs as I did IGCSEs last year. I got 3 9s,1 8s,1 7s and 1 5s in my GCSE. I always want to become a general surgeon since the age of 12 so I am quite keen to apply for medicine. I have done all the work experience and volunteering to maximise the chance to get into medicine. However, I have also joined up for my school combined cadet force earlier this year and I start having greater interest in the military especially the parachute regiment and the guard division. I am very good at drill and fieldcraft things like that but because I volunteer for St John ambulance. I also know load of first aid and leadership things which make me extremely good at “soldiering” and want to join as an officer.In the same time, I start questioning myself why do I serve a country which I don’t born in. But the UK is the country I would like to live for life and having people that I love including friend and family. Because of that idea, it left me difficult choice to make whether I should join the army or do medicine as I love both. I know I can join as an army doctor after having registration with the GMC but I will be only able to work in a hospital instead of the field and definitely not doing any ceremonial drill.
I am currently thinking of doing an paramedic science degree which allow me to apply an citizenship for the next year of graduation. I can then join the army as an officer and leave after 3 year. I then do postgrad medicine. But according to my research, that is most likely not going to work as GEM require 2:1 in 3 years. In term of the decision,What should I do?
Original post by Thomas230905
Hello everyone, I know that sound absolutely ridiculous and crazy but could you all please give me some advice on that. To introduce myself, I am Thomas and I come to the UK as international students (BNO visa holder) at 2022. I am currently studying A-level chemistry, Biology and maths. I have only got 6 GCSEs as I did IGCSEs last year. I got 3 9s,1 8s,1 7s and 1 5s in my GCSE. I always want to become a general surgeon since the age of 12 so I am quite keen to apply for medicine. I have done all the work experience and volunteering to maximise the chance to get into medicine. However, I have also joined up for my school combined cadet force earlier this year and I start having greater interest in the military especially the parachute regiment and the guard division. I am very good at drill and fieldcraft things like that but because I volunteer for St John ambulance. I also know load of first aid and leadership things which make me extremely good at “soldiering” and want to join as an officer.In the same time, I start questioning myself why do I serve a country which I don’t born in. But the UK is the country I would like to live for life and having people that I love including friend and family. Because of that idea, it left me difficult choice to make whether I should join the army or do medicine as I love both. I know I can join as an army doctor after having registration with the GMC but I will be only able to work in a hospital instead of the field and definitely not doing any ceremonial drill.
I am currently thinking of doing an paramedic science degree which allow me to apply an citizenship for the next year of graduation. I can then join the army as an officer and leave after 3 year. I then do postgrad medicine. But according to my research, that is most likely not going to work as GEM require 2:1 in 3 years. In term of the decision,What should I do?

Just do a medical degree first, join your uni's ROTC or whatever it's called, complete your foundation training and then when fully registered with the GMC look to join the military. Plenty of people do both.

GEM is much more competitive than standard entry medicine and you should never plan to apply to GEM at the outset as a school leaver. Odds are if you do so, you're probably not likely to ultimately go into medicine. By comparison, joining the military should not be easier or harder at the different time, unless you sustain a particular injury that makes you unfit for service or something inbetween (so just, avoid skiing or whatever).

You're taking a perfectly reasonable, well trodden path - qualify as a medical doctor then join the military - and throwing it out the window for a convoluted path that has even fewer guarantees of getting you to the end point you are aiming for.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 2

Do medicine first. As someone who served in the military I can tell you that being in the forces is very, very different to cadets (very few units do drill all the time, aside from queens guard etc, most of the time you may be sat on your backside waiting for things, doing courses and then preparing to deploy if you are lucky/unlucky). Many cadets struggle a lot in military, as it is a very different type of "soldiering" as you put it. It is not something to join with a fixed exit plan already, id say you join with the intention of it as a career or dont join at all (people do change their mind while in of course, but it is not a good idea in my mind to join with a clear intention to leave so early). Also depending on your role, you might only just be finishing your trade training, unless you do of course just do basic soldier trg. Regardless you are not really serving your country well to use up its resources and then leave early.

Just do medicine.

Greg
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Just do a medical degree first, join your uni's ROTC or whatever it's called, complete your foundation training and then when fully registered with the GMC look to join the military. Plenty of people do both.

GEM is much more competitive than standard entry medicine and you should never plan to apply to GEM at the outset as a school leaver. Odds are if you do so, you're probably not likely to ultimately go into medicine. By comparison, joining the military should not be easier or harder at the different time, unless you sustain a particular injury that makes you unfit for service or something inbetween (so just, avoid skiing or whatever).

You're taking a perfectly reasonable, well trodden path - qualify as a medical doctor then join the military - and throwing it out the window for a convoluted path that has even fewer guarantees of getting you to the end point you are aiming for.

As I am not eligible for university officer training corps, do you think joining the local army cadet force as an officer may be an alternative option?
As I am not eligible for university officer training corps, do you think joining the local army cadet force as an officer may be an alternative option?

Maybe? No harm in asking!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending