The Student Room Group

Mathematics or Medicine

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Natasha A*
Oh okay so do I have to apply for that if I decide to do Mathematics at Uni? Thanks x

GEM is a 4-year course, but some graduates still apply for the normal undergraduate 5-year course (presumably because it's slightly less competitive) though not all unis allow this, I think. It would also be a lot more expensive
Hey Everyone, :hello:

I'm in college and have nearly completed all my exams :bigsmile:. I love studying Mathematics and also teach it at two jobs as I work and volunteer with children. My passion for Mathematics grew from a very young age and I was always very enthusiastic about the subect. I'm currently on an A for Mathematics and hope to further my education in the subject.

My dream from a very young age is to study Medicine and become a paediatrician (Children's doctor). I have loved studying sciences and really want to become a doctor, I'm very motivated to study Medicine and I know that I have the will - power to do so. I love working with children at my job and have had work experience from GP clinics/Great Ormond Street/Hospitals abroad. I love helping others and want to be able to treat patients.

Now, I am facing a dilemma between Mathematics and Medicine. I love them both equally but am finiding it very hard to choose. I know both of these subjects are very strong and especially Medicine as it is roughly 6 years then F1+F2 at the end, I just don't know which one to choose. I don't want people here to to think I'm not comitted that I'm second guessing Medicine, I would never do that...I'm just wondering is it for me? I have good results/do swimming to a national level/play the piano. I'm just not sure if this is really my dream or if it's my mother's, I want to know if I really want this. What can I do?

Thankyou in advance for all the feedback/advice x

I think the key thing here is not the subjects but the job at the end. You want to work with kids? Then do a medicine degree as it will allow you much easier access working with kids. A maths degree will only allow you to work with them as a teacher and that isn't great pay compared to a doctor.

As mentioned, you can always do an intercalated degree in maths.

Or, after you are a qualified doctor you can do a maths degree via distance learning so you can study in your own time for fun
Reply 22
Original post by scherzi
This can be impossible to decide properly when you're just 17. I applied for med last year but for maths this year - although the decision was partly made by the fact I ****ed up chemistry, lol, I'm happy about it. If you don't really mind the thought of not becoming a doctor, I'd say go for maths and try GEM once you have a better capacity to decide... though it would potentially be a lot more costly (in both money and time). Alternatively, ask yourself why keeping maths as a hobby wouldn't be enough. If you're as enthusiastic about maths as you say, would you not be satisfied by learning more maths by reading through books/lecture notes? Or do you want to go into academia?

I'd sort of gone off the idea of medicine by the time we had to apply in year 13, but it was all I'd wanted to do since I was a child - and I couldn't make myself go back on it, particularly given the tacit expectations of those around me. Given your questioning over whether it's your dream or your mum's, perhaps this could be the issue? Anyway you still have some time to think about it. Try to look into what uni maths is like as well, since it's significantly different from A level

Okay thanks :smile: ahaha I think nearly every Chemistry student does at some point :P Erm not to sound snobbish but my Mummy and my 'trust fund' stuff from a close family member's death is there so no need to worry about money :smile: I hate reading about Maths, I don't mind it, it's just that I love solving things and plus I have a short attention span when things bore me :smile: Okay thanks anyway x

Original post by NightBear
No, although I'm planning on trying for some this summer.

Oh okay, where are you looking into? x

Thankyou Mr Muffin Man :smile: Ahaha aww okay, how is it different? x

Its different in the sense that A level is alot of follow these rules learn them use them, whereas at uni there is ALOT more you will need to learn because obviously it will teach you the foundations and fundamentals its more of knowing why things work the way they do rather than just doing it if that makes sense? There will be alot of proofs and making sure you do things in the correct order

It may sound pretty boring but it suprisingly isnt
Reply 24
Original post by scherzi
GEM is a 4-year course, but some graduates still apply for the normal undergraduate 5-year course (presumably because it's slightly less competitive) though not all unis allow this, I think. It would also be a lot more expensive

Thankyou so much, if you didn't tell me about this I probably wouldn't have known for a very long time. I think this is what I'm actually going to do..need to research x
Reply 25
maths.
Reply 26
Original post by bestofyou
I think the key thing here is not the subjects but the job at the end. You want to work with kids? Then do a medicine degree as it will allow you much easier access working with kids. A maths degree will only allow you to work with them as a teacher and that isn't great pay compared to a doctor.

As mentioned, you can always do an intercalated degree in maths.

Or, after you are a qualified doctor you can do a maths degree via distance learning so you can study in your own time for fun

Thankyou so much :smile: Yeah but I think it's kind of hard to do a medicine degree then just decide to do a Maths degree as you are 100% guarenteed a job so it would be weird. I think this Summer is going to be long thinking about this. I liked the idea of an intercalated degree in Maths, can you explain more about that? x
Reply 27
Original post by smd4std
maths.

You're confident. LOL. Thanks x
Reply 28

I'm in college and have nearly completed all my exams :bigsmile:. I love studying Mathematics and also teach it at two jobs as I work and volunteer with children. My passion for Mathematics grew from a very young age and I was always very enthusiastic about the subect. I'm currently on an A for Mathematics and hope to further my education in the subject.

My dream from a very young age is to study Medicine and become a paediatrician (Children's doctor). I have loved studying sciences and really want to become a doctor, I'm very motivated to study Medicine and I know that I have the will - power to do so. I love working with children at my job and have had work experience from GP clinics/Great Ormond Street/Hospitals abroad. I love helping others and want to be able to treat patients.

Now, I am facing a dilemma between Mathematics and Medicine. I love them both equally but am finiding it very hard to choose. I know both of these subjects are very strong and especially Medicine as it is roughly 6 years then F1+F2 at the end, I just don't know which one to choose. I don't want people here to to think I'm not comitted that I'm second guessing Medicine, I would never do that...I'm just wondering is it for me? I have good results/do swimming to a national level/play the piano. I'm just not sure if this is really my dream or if it's my mother's, I want to know if I really want this. What can I do?

I know exactly how you feel. I've always loved maths, it was my favourite subject at school and the one I was best at. I always had medicine in mind as the subject I wanted to do at uni, but towards the time to apply I realised that i would really miss studying maths and began to consider it instead of medicine.

Despite this I made the choice to opt for medicine instead of maths as I thought that although I loved studying maths no job really interested me using maths and whilst i didn't think the medicine course would be as interesting the actual job appealed far more.

I am now going into fourth year of med school and have so far loved the course. I still really miss maths and wonder what studying it would have been like, but alas I'll never know.

With respect to intercalating in maths, I always thought that would be cool, but untill this year my uni did not allow maths to be one of the intercal degrees so i did immunology instead. Having done an intercalated degree i don't know if I would have coped well doing final year maths having not done any since school

So essentially as someone else has said I would look at the job at the end and decide which you prefer. Don't listen to people who say if you doubt medicine don't do it as being at uni i always find myself doubting it and then loving it, it's just the nature of the beast.

Also what aspect of maths do you enjoy as there maybe areas of medicine that can incorporate this.
Have you made plans to take the UKCAT or BMAT (or whatever is specified for yours universities of choice) if you pick medicine?
Thankyou so much :smile: Yeah but I think it's kind of hard to do a medicine degree then just decide to do a Maths degree as you are 100% guarenteed a job so it would be weird. I think this Summer is going to be long thinking about this. I liked the idea of an intercalated degree in Maths, can you explain more about that? x

well as post #29 say it may be hard to do the intercalated degree in maths, I'm not really sure about them as I'm not a medicine or even a hopeful medicine student. Maybe check out the med school site you are thinking of going to and they should have some info on there.

Yeah I know what you are getting at about the maths degree after the medicine one. However what I meant was you could study a maths degree through distance learning, part-time and take as much time as you please. You can do that while still working as a doctor. Of course it would just be for the fun of it.
Reply 31
Okay thanks :smile: ahaha I think nearly every Chemistry student does at some point :P Erm not to sound snobbish but my Mummy and my 'trust fund' stuff from a close family member's death is there so no need to worry about money :smile: I hate reading about Maths, I don't mind it, it's just that I love solving things and plus I have a short attention span when things bore me :smile: Okay thanks anyway x

You hate reading about maths as in general/recreational maths for the layman, or proper textbooks? If it's the latter and you couldn't be bothered to learn lots of concepts through reading, then I imagine you'd struggle to enjoy a maths degree.

If money isn't an issue then doing maths first would probably keep options open a bit more. As you said, I can't imagine someone would finish a med degree, then take 3/4 years out to do a different degree, then go into their foundation years as a junior doctor - you'd have to check how feasible that might be. Distance learning from somewhere like Birkbeck/OU is an option but I think a doctor would be too busy for that.

IIRC most 6 year med degrees only let you intercalate in something biological/medical - e.g. immunology. I think Cambridge and UCL allow more variety, stretching into the arts even, but I think Cambridge maths in 1 or even 2 years would be nuts/not allowed. Again, phone up the respective departments and ask
Reply 32
Thankyou so much, if you didn't tell me about this I probably wouldn't have known for a very long time. I think this is what I'm actually going to do..need to research x

Check this page out for some useful information to start with.

As you can see a lot of unis don't specify the degree subject so maths will be fine, but some such as Birmingham and Bristol have requirements regarding the content of the degree as well as the grade. Obviously just don't apply to them if you do go down this route, in the same way you wouldn't apply to Birmingham with less than 7 A*s at gcse or Newcastle with poor UKCAT as an undergrad.

The downside is the applications to places ratio is even more eye watering than undergraduate medicine (5/6 years, 18-23/24) but if you think you can get the grades there's no reason not to go for it when the time comes.
As others have suggested, I'd apply for maths now, and then graduate medicine if you decide you still want to be a doctor.

The world needs more mathematicians. :smile:

(Also I don't understand the suggestions that you could do maths whilst doing medicine; ignoring the fact that the workload would be ridiculous, I doubt the top medical schools would even permit this.)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 34

So it sounds like you're talented at maths.

Why not do the medicine degree as this leads to the job you want and then apply the maths within medicine. Areas of maths like statistics are relevant in medical research and practice i.e epidemiology
Reply 35
I've never understood people that say its their dream to study medicine, what's so good about being a doctor, my mum wanted me to do medicine but I think being a doctor would be boring and there's also no room for promotion and there is no competition.

Why do you like medicine?
Reply 36
Original post by kayjay
I know exactly how you feel. I've always loved maths, it was my favourite subject at school and the one I was best at. I always had medicine in mind as the subject I wanted to do at uni, but towards the time to apply I realised that i would really miss studying maths and began to consider it instead of medicine.

Despite this I made the choice to opt for medicine instead of maths as I thought that although I loved studying maths no job really interested me using maths and whilst i didn't think the medicine course would be as interesting the actual job appealed far more.

I am now going into fourth year of med school and have so far loved the course. I still really miss maths and wonder what studying it would have been like, but alas I'll never know.

With respect to intercalating in maths, I always thought that would be cool, but untill this year my uni did not allow maths to be one of the intercal degrees so i did immunology instead. Having done an intercalated degree i don't know if I would have coped well doing final year maths having not done any since school

So essentially as someone else has said I would look at the job at the end and decide which you prefer. Don't listen to people who say if you doubt medicine don't do it as being at uni i always find myself doubting it and then loving it, it's just the nature of the beast.

Also what aspect of maths do you enjoy as there maybe areas of medicine that can incorporate this.

Yeah, oh wow that's really good! Which University are you at? I know medicine is very competitive and it would be an honour to get a place to study medicine and make my dreams come true but I'm still not sure if I want to let Maths go (sorry, if I sound like a child :s ). Hmm..yeah that seems really interesting, I enjoy most aspects of maths, I love all the cores and statistics as it helps me to relate it to Medicine :wink: x

Original post by icy elemental
Have you made plans to take the UKCAT or BMAT (or whatever is specified for yours universities of choice) if you pick medicine?

Yeah, I'm doing it this year. Aiming for 670 min as if I get 620 or early 600's at least I won't be too disappointed. It would be amazing if I got in the 700's :smile: x

Original post by scherzi
You hate reading about maths as in general/recreational maths for the layman, or proper textbooks? If it's the latter and you couldn't be bothered to learn lots of concepts through reading, then I imagine you'd struggle to enjoy a maths degree.

If money isn't an issue then doing maths first would probably keep options open a bit more. As you said, I can't imagine someone would finish a med degree, then take 3/4 years out to do a different degree, then go into their foundation years as a junior doctor - you'd have to check how feasible that might be. Distance learning from somewhere like Birkbeck/OU is an option but I think a doctor would be too busy for that.

IIRC most 6 year med degrees only let you intercalate in something biological/medical - e.g. immunology. I think Cambridge and UCL allow more variety, stretching into the arts even, but I think Cambridge maths in 1 or even 2 years would be nuts/not allowed. Again, phone up the respective departments and ask

Thanks, no I never said I can't be bothered..solving things just interest me more and learning new things :smile: Yeah your second paragraph sounds interesting, I'm going to look into that! What does IIRC stand for? Yeah most 6 year medical degrees do, it's because it has to relate to medicine. I don't think I'll be applying for Cambridge - I'm just going to get rejected, my friend didn't get it so there's no hope for me :smile: Thankyou so much for your help and advice x
Reply 37
Original post by Miryo
I've never understood people that say its their dream to study medicine, what's so good about being a doctor, my mum wanted me to do medicine but I think being a doctor would be boring and there's also no room for promotion and there is no competition.

Why do you like medicine?

Wow this is a wide question. I'm going to make this short so please don't judge me by this :smile: Well to begin with I've had a passion for science since I was little and I always admired how doctors help others and treat them to make people better and not for their benefit but for people like you. Personally I value the quality for people's lifes and health and I think medicine will suit me as I am very intrigued how drugs are made and how they can affect one's life. I also feel that it is unlike any other field, it provides the opportunity to help others by also working with them, I want to provide for my patients to my full most outer potential and want to make them better. I know that there will be hard times/emotional times but I'm ready to face the challenge. :smile: x

P.S. I don't see it as promotion, I feel good seeing other people happy and healthy and I'm pleased that there is never any competition as life is not supposed to be about that. We all mke sacrifices and I think the best thing doctors can do is to help and provide support (whether it be physical/emotional etc.)

I think it depends on what you want to do in the future and who you want to become, it's different for everyone. I'm sure whatever you do in life will make you very successful and that competition isn't for jobs like doctors but maybe in something that interests you.. x
Reply 38
Wow this is a wide question. I'm going to make this short so please don't judge me by this :smile: Well to begin with I've had a passion for science since I was little and I always admired how doctors help others and treat them to make people better and not for their benefit but for people like you. Personally I value the quality for people's lifes and health and I think medicine will suit me as I am very intrigued how drugs are made and how they can affect one's life. I also feel that it is unlike any other field, it provides the opportunity to help others by also working with them, I want to provide for my patients to my full most outer potential and want to make them better. I know that there will be hard times/emotional times but I'm ready to face the challenge. :smile: x

P.S. I don't see it as promotion, I feel good seeing other people happy and healthy and I'm pleased that there is never any competition as life is not supposed to be about that. We all mke sacrifices and I think the best thing doctors can do is to help and provide support (whether it be physical/emotional etc.)

I think it depends on what you want to do in the future and who you want to become, it's different for everyone. I'm sure whatever you do in life will make you very successful and that competition isn't for jobs like doctors but maybe in something that interests you.. x

Fair enough, I was expecting a stupid answer and I was just going to put you down but you've given a good reason.

When you say it like that, it kind of makes me want to do it too but I feel I do need competition in my life, its the only thing that would make me get up in the morning.

If I was you, I think I'd do medicine then, you seem to be pretty passionate about it and you havent really said what career you'd want to go into if you did do Maths.
Reply 39
Original post by Miryo
Fair enough, I was expecting a stupid answer and I was just going to put you down but you've given a good reason.

When you say it like that, it kind of makes me want to do it too but I feel I do need competition in my life, its the only thing that would make me get up in the morning.

If I was you, I think I'd do medicine then, you seem to be pretty passionate about it and you havent really said what career you'd want to go into if you did do Maths.

Thank you..I guess :smile: Yeah, well my mother told me that there's a wider variety of careers in Maths - banking/accountacy/teaching/etc. I don't know, I guess I'll just have to sit down and make a list of pros and cons and talk to my sister about it as she can give me a good opinion. Maybe I should speak to people who have done Maths at University. I just remembered my neighbour who's a nurse saying Medicine 100% guarentees you a job, not sure about Maths.. x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending