The Student Room Group

Dont wanna do medicine anymore, finance maybe?

Hi guys
I do bio chem maths and I’ve applied for medicine, but after serious thought I really don’t want to do it anymore. I want take a gap year and reapply for finance or management but im worrried my subject combination might be a problem, especially for a uni like LSE. Also, if I get a medicine offer my parents are gonna force me to go…
Any advice? 🥹
Original post by Tarniana
Hi guys
I do bio chem maths and I’ve applied for medicine, but after serious thought I really don’t want to do it anymore. I want take a gap year and reapply for finance or management but im worrried my subject combination might be a problem, especially for a uni like LSE. Also, if I get a medicine offer my parents are gonna force me to go…
Any advice? 🥹

They don't care what subjects you took as long as you meet the requirement for any specified subjects (typically A-level Maths, if even that). Why would they?

Also your parents can't "force" you to do anything, you just need to get over your parent-pleasing chip on your shoulder and do what you want.
Reply 2
Im not sure I feel like they would and also I would be a gap year student as wel
With draw your application and apply for finance you might have to go through clearing or extra but you’ll get there. Also you can usually switch courses within the first 6 weeks or so of uni my brother did that and said it was no trouble at all if the subject combination is a problem you could take a foundation year at your chosen university if need be.
Reply 4
Original post by jonathanemptage
With draw your application and apply for finance you might have to go through clearing or extra but you’ll get there. Also you can usually switch courses within the first 6 weeks or so of uni my brother did that and said it was no trouble at all if the subject combination is a problem you could take a foundation year at your chosen university if need be.

If I withdraw my application it says I have to wait though for 2025 entry right? If I withdraw I can't change it can I? Do u think unis like LSE or UCL for finance and management will not consider my application as much bc im a gap year student and also taking bio chem maths?
If I withdraw my application it says I have to wait though for 2025 entry right? If I withdraw I can't change it can I?

Do not withdraw your whole application. There will be a warning message saying you can't apply again, (including Extra/Clearing) for the remainder of this cycle. Instead you just need to Decline any offers you receive.

Note that courses in Extra and Clearing will be limited, especially from the likes of LSE and UCL.
Do u think unis like LSE or UCL for finance and management will not consider my application as much bc im a gap year student and also taking bio chem maths?

UCL don't have a pure Finance or Management/Finance course unless I've missed it.

LSE

Grades:

"GCSEs
A strong set of GCSE grades including the majority at A (or 7) and A* (or 8-9)
GCSE (or equivalent) English Language and Mathematics grades should be no lower than B (or 6)
We also consider your overall GCSE subject profile

A-levels*
A*AA, with an A* in Mathematics
Please also see subject combinations regarding Further Mathematics requirements.
We also consider your AS grades, if available."

Gap entry:
"Do you consider deferred entry?

LSE is happy to consider applications from students who are taking a gap year. We would encourage them to briefly outline how they intend to spend the year in their personal statement. If the student is applying for a quantitative course, providing an indication of how they intend to maintain or refresh their mathematical knowledge during their gap year is helpful."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending