The Student Room Group

Buying a new classical guitar?

Good evening folks,
I'm in the market for a new classical guitar with a budget of £350-£650, full size classical, with nylon strings
I was wondering if any of you had some recommendations, or know any good stores in the cheshire region that i could check out.
I've been playing for 11 years now, at grade 7 standard, along with some flamenco.

Many thanks,

Scroll to see replies

Hi
U'll have to mic it up when u perform whatever guitar u get, but if ur taking it seriously make sure u get a concert guitar, rather than just a high end student one cos aside from better tone and playability they're much LOUDER. Maybe have a look on ebay- something good often pops up!
Having said that i recently had to perform the rodrigo aranjuez on a borrowed (cracked neck) Tehrada, cos no one would hire a concert guitar and i certainly couldn't afford to buy one. Surprisingly, mic'ed nicely sounded lovely!
Hope that helps u

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
I play/played classical to grade 8 (with flamenco too) and have a Tanglewood, the model etc I am not sure about as my guitar teacher purchased it for me, I think it was around £450 - £500, I would give you the model etc but I live in London now and my guitar is at my home up north :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by zguitarmagic
Hi
U'll have to mic it up when u perform whatever guitar u get, but if ur taking it seriously make sure u get a concert guitar, rather than just a high end student one cos aside from better tone and playability they're much LOUDER. Maybe have a look on ebay- something good often pops up!
Having said that i recently had to perform the rodrigo aranjuez on a borrowed (cracked neck) Tehrada, cos no one would hire a concert guitar and i certainly couldn't afford to buy one. Surprisingly, mic'ed nicely sounded lovely!
Hope that helps u

Yeah i don't think mic'ing it up would be a problem, i would much rather have an acoustic as opposed to an electro-acoustic, as i don't want to spend even more money that i haven't got on an amp. Thanks for your response!
Reply 4
Original post by Spoonforknife
I play/played classical to grade 8 (with flamenco too) and have a Tanglewood, the model etc I am not sure about as my guitar teacher purchased it for me, I think it was around £450 - £500, I would give you the model etc but I live in London now and my guitar is at my home up north :frown:

Wow, nice! :smile: I'll take a look at the tanglewood brand, as that is my price bracket. I think ebay is always worth looking at too. Many thanks
Reply 5
Original post by JLXP
Good evening folks,
I'm in the market for a new classical guitar with a budget of £350-£650, full size classical, with nylon strings
I was wondering if any of you had some recommendations, or know any good stores in the cheshire region that i could check out.
I've been playing for 11 years now, at grade 7 standard, along with some flamenco.

Many thanks,

With classical guitars, unlike acoustics, its usually the obscure spanish instruments that are one offs in music shops etc rather than big names like Gibson and Taylor guitars. Your budget is ideal. To get a nice classical I'd say you need a minimum of 300 pounds so you may even be able to go a bit lower if you have to. I can't really help much as you have to check out the guitar, I wouldn't recommend buying one online :smile:
Original post by Mero8
With classical guitars, unlike acoustics, its usually the obscure spanish instruments that are one offs in music shops etc rather than big names like Gibson and Taylor guitars. Your budget is ideal. To get a nice classical I'd say you need a minimum of 300 pounds so you may even be able to go a bit lower if you have to. I can't really help much as you have to check out the guitar, I wouldn't recommend buying one online :smile:

This too is true, I remember going into a shop and playing the most amazing sounding classical, and it was around the £300 mark. Such a nice guitar...

Original post by JLXP
Wow, nice! :smile: I'll take a look at the tanglewood brand, as that is my price bracket. I think ebay is always worth looking at too. Many thanks

Called my Dad and he said he recalls it being £400 (his memory isn't that great), if anything i'd say pop into a guitar shop and just play them :smile:
Original post by JLXP
Yeah i don't think mic'ing it up would be a problem, i would much rather have an acoustic as opposed to an electro-acoustic, as i don't want to spend even more money that i haven't got on an amp. Thanks for your response!

No don't go near electro acoustics. Ever in fact- and i say that as a predominantly electric guitarist..
And mic goes straight to venue PA so no amp is involved either way i don't think. Oh yeah and i seem to remember that flamenco guitars r different to classicals so make sure u kno what style u want to pursue in greatest depth before u choose the right guitar. Happy strummin :yes:

Reply 8
Jose ferrer concert grande Around 300 great quality.
Reply 9
Original post by Mero8

Yeah i know what you mean, i'm only going to get a spanish made one. Many thanks
Reply 10
Original post by pythonj95
Jose ferrer concert grande Around 300 great quality.

I'll check them out, thanks for the advice!

Original post by Spoonforknife
This too is true, I remember going into a shop and playing the most amazing sounding classical, and it was around the £300 mark. Such a nice guitar...

Called my Dad and he said he recalls it being £400 (his memory isn't that great), if anything i'd say pop into a guitar shop and just play them :smile:

Unfortunately the store i went into today in Manchester offered me terrible advice, and were constantly trying to up sell, "oh you like that for £400, this is much better for your needs at £650" smh.

I'm off college for 2 more weeks or so, so i'll go on a little classical guitar hunting + testing spree, thanks.
Reply 11
No don't go near electro acoustics. Ever in fact- and i say that as a predominantly electric guitarist..
And mic goes straight to venue PA so no amp is involved either way i don't think. Oh yeah and i seem to remember that flamenco guitars r different to classicals so make sure u kno what style u want to pursue in greatest depth before u choose the right guitar. Happy strummin :yes:

Thanks for the advice, yeah i'll steer clear of Electro acoustics, although i am taken by the cut-away feature :smile:
Indeed, flamenco guitars are different, however i'm not doing much flamenco, but i am learning a new piece at the moment, (not enough flamenco to justify a flamenco guitar, though)
Thanks again
Original post by JLXP
Thanks for the advice, yeah i'll steer clear of Electro acoustics, although i am taken by the cut-away feature :smile:
Indeed, flamenco guitars are different, however i'm not doing much flamenco, but i am learning a new piece at the moment, (not enough flamenco to justify a flamenco guitar, though)
Thanks again

Oh yeah i liked the cut away idea too, but u won't need it cos even the highest parts of the rodrigo don't go as high as rock solos and stuff. And they supposedly detract from the sound. Best of luck (i love talking about guitars so if there's anything else feel free to ask!) :yy:

Reply 13
Oh yeah i liked the cut away idea too, but u won't need it cos even the highest parts of the rodrigo don't go as high as rock solos and stuff. And they supposedly detract from the sound. Best of luck (i love talking about guitars so if there's anything else feel free to ask!) :yy:

Yeah, that's true, it does look good though! I can imagine that being true, about detracting from the sound.

I'll keep you posted on my hunt!
thanks again
Reply 14
Original post by JLXP
Good evening folks,

Many thanks,

Hi, I play classical guitar too and have had several instruments over the years. I'm sorry to say but the upper end of you budget will only get you a nice student standard guitar, not that they're bad instruments (they'll easily take you through grade 8 and a bit beyond). When you're looking for a guitar in this price region though, pay attention to the materials it is made out of, you want to get a guitar that has its back and sides made out of solid wood (usually Indian rosewood) as opposed to wood veneers (where slices of wood are glued together). Solid wood *massively* improves the tone and projection of your instrument!

Hi
Hope that helps u

Don't be silly, you do not need to mic up a classical guitar -a well played guitar will fill most concert halls, so you don't need to make it any louder! Mic-ing up an instrument also ruins the quality of sound. When you play, the sound you make reverberates around whatever room you're in and 'evolves...' i.e. the overtones are more distinct, creating a richer sound... HOWEVER, putting a mic in-front of your instrument and blowing the audience's heads off like a pop musician, doesn't allow this to happen.
Original post by schenker
Hi, I play classical guitar too and have had several instruments over the years. I'm sorry to say but the upper end of you budget will only get you a nice student standard guitar, not that they're bad instruments (they'll easily take you through grade 8 and a bit beyond). When you're looking for a guitar in this price region though, pay attention to the materials it is made out of, you want to get a guitar that has its back and sides made out of solid wood (usually Indian rosewood) as opposed to wood veneers (where slices of wood are glued together). Solid wood *massively* improves the tone and projection of your instrument!

Don't be silly, you do not need to mic up a classical guitar -a well played guitar will fill most concert halls, so you don't need to make it any louder! Mic-ing up an instrument also ruins the quality of sound. When you play, the sound you make reverberates around whatever room you're in and 'evolves...' i.e. the overtones are more distinct, creating a richer sound... HOWEVER, putting a mic in-front of your instrument and blowing the audience's heads off like a pop musician, doesn't allow this to happen.

Hello schenker
Apologies but u really r wrong in so many ways-

Firstly u can pick up concert guitars for £400-500 if u kno where to look.

If u want to be a serious performer, a student guitar is pointless because it just will not give the same output of sound as a concert guitar. Though concert guitars are louder they are still not powerful to be heard prominently over an orchestra.

Guitars are not orchestral instruments simply because they are not loud enough. This is why when played with orchestras they are ALWAYS mic'ed. U can ask any professional performer this.

This technique will not "blow" anyone's head off.

I did say i was a predominantly electric guitarist, but i am a very able classical player too and i know a considerable amount about guitars if nothing else, so please do not contradict my advice!

(And ur comment about pop guitarists seemed rather derogatory, especially after u have named urself after a particularly famous one..)

Reply 16
Hello schenker
Apologies but u really r wrong in so many ways-

Firstly u can pick up concert guitars for £400-500 if u kno where to look.

If u want to be a serious performer, a student guitar is pointless because it just will not give the same output of sound as a concert guitar. Though concert guitars are louder they are still not powerful to be heard prominently over an orchestra.

Guitars are not orchestral instruments simply because they are not loud enough. This is why when played with orchestras they are ALWAYS mic'ed. U can ask any professional performer this.

This technique will not "blow" anyone's head off.

I did say i was a predominantly electric guitarist, but i am a very able classical player too and i know a considerable amount about guitars if nothing else, so please do not contradict my advice!

(And ur comment about pop guitarists seemed rather derogatory, especially after u have named urself after a particularly famous one..)

May I also apologise because you are also wrong in so many ways...

You will not find a *new* concert guitar for £650... But you can get a lovely student guitar for up to about £1000.

You're right a student guitar won't have the same projection as a concert guitar, but there is also a huge range in the output of professional instruments. You're half right about the the guitar and orchestra point, though this depends on the size of the orchestra, and the music being played - Malcolm Arnold's guitar concerto is scored very sympathetically for the guitarist. However JLXP is playing at grade 7, I doubt he'll be selling out Wigmore hall any time soon (no offence JLXP, it could happen!) so mic-ing up is a redundant argument anyway!

No, guitars aren't orchestral instruments because composers don't need there timbre - the harp has the closest timbre to the guitar and is more technically flexible. The modern guitar didn't really even come into existence until the 19th century by the time the standard orchestra was established - though as a matter of interest its predecessors the lute and vihuela were used in orchestras as a continuo instrument until the 1800s

My pop related comment was meant to be derogatory though to pop music in general - no special treatment to guitarists! Though I must correct you, my name is actually that of a early 20th century Austrian musicologist called Heinrich Schenker.

I don't mean to offend, merely inform. I did say that I'm a purely classical guitarist... in fact - and I hate to name drop :frown: - but my teacher was taught himself by Julian Bream and spent several years attending classes with John Williams (the guitar playing one obviously).. so what I say is on good authority
Hmm well fair dos, but i stand by what i said about mic'ing. When i performed the rodrigo there was no way it could have been done without a mic (the conductor just couldn't hear me on my own). And it did sound nice once the EQ was nicely set, and it was in a church so mo prob with reverb!

And thru experience it's almost always better value for money to buy things second hand. Guitars get better with age! -i kno that if i had £600 i wouldn't waste it on a new student guitar i'd search around for something better that was pre-owned.

Bit about harps was interesting- tho disappointing. I think i hate harps almost as much as u hate pop. See infuriating sweeping generalisations r?

And by grade 7 JLXP will certainly be starting to consider more advanced performing with with either ensembles piano or orchestra so i definitely wouldn't rule out the mic factor now :s-smilie:

Anyway i'm sure ur probably a really great player and best of luck with it, sorry to have rattled u

Reply 18
Original post by schenker

Hi here Schenker, thanks for the advice. As i'm only a student and spent almost all my savings on a mac, i don't have much more left to exceed by budget, however i do not want a 'student' guitar, as i am beginning to do performances. This is why i would be interested in getting a Second hand indian rosewood solid top guitar, which sound better with age.

Additionally, i've been performing Vivaldi's concerto in D, as per John Williams lately, have you seen the 10 minute clip on youtube? If not, i would advise you to watch it, it's beautiful.
here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBJ8BmFPt3U

Thanks again for the advice
Reply 19
Original post by JLXP
Hi here Schenker, thanks for the advice. As i'm only a student and spent almost all my savings on a mac, i don't have much more left to exceed by budget, however i do not want a 'student' guitar, as i am beginning to do performances. This is why i would be interested in getting a Second hand indian rosewood solid top guitar, which sound better with age.

Additionally, i've been performing Vivaldi's concerto in D, as per John Williams lately, have you seen the 10 minute clip on youtube? If not, i would advise you to watch it, it's beautiful.
here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBJ8BmFPt3U

Thanks again for the advice

Tis a wonderful concerto! A point about John Williams - he uses a guitar made by Smallman, this guitar uses a new method of construction that gives him a HUGE sound. Alas you won't find many of these hanging around for sale, but if you ever decide to upgrade again there's a guy in England who uses the same methods for a very reasonable price: http://www.nicholas-scott-guitars.co.uk/

If you're within reasonable distance I recommend you have a look for a guitar through Nottingham Spanish guitar centre, you can even give them a call first to see what they can sort out for you - they're very reasonable!

Good luck, and happy guitar-ing! :biggrin:

Hmm well fair dos, but i stand by what i said about mic'ing. When i performed the rodrigo there was no way it could have been done without a mic (the conductor just couldn't hear me on my own). And it did sound nice once the EQ was nicely set, and it was in a church so mo prob with reverb!

And thru experience it's almost always better value for money to buy things second hand. Guitars get better with age! -i kno that if i had £600 i wouldn't waste it on a new student guitar i'd search around for something better that was pre-owned.

Bit about harps was interesting- tho disappointing. I think i hate harps almost as much as u hate pop. See infuriating sweeping generalisations r?

And by grade 7 JLXP will certainly be starting to consider more advanced performing with with either ensembles piano or orchestra so i definitely wouldn't rule out the mic factor now :s-smilie:

Anyway i'm sure ur probably a really great player and best of luck with it, sorry to have rattled u

Fair, the Rodrigo is a strange concerto - I might even have to agree with you, though I do think something is lost in the sound when a guitar is mic-ed.

They certainly do sound better with age (within reason) - the wood settles through playing and resonates more freely!

Don't get me wrong about the harps, I don't think they sound like guitars. But from a composer's point of view if he/she wants that sort of sound why not use a harp rather than the 5-6 guitars that would be needed to punch through an orchestral forte - :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest