The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Advice about what to take to halls of residence

I have a place in Wessex and would like to know what is really useful to take - especially for the kitchen. I have seen the lists on UCAS HUB, but it would be great to know from undergrads who are actually in. halls at Reading. Also - is there space under the bed? I would love to take my guitar, but unsure if there will be space!
Original post by Anonymous
I have a place in Wessex and would like to know what is really useful to take - especially for the kitchen. I have seen the lists on UCAS HUB, but it would be great to know from undergrads who are actually in. halls at Reading. Also - is there space under the bed? I would love to take my guitar, but unsure if there will be space!

Hey Anonymous!

Huge congrats on your place!!

Great question - I would recommend taking a look at the what to bring page on our website, as well as this what to pack student blog, which may be a helpful starting point.
In terms of the kitchen, all you really need is the basic essentials, so: cutlery (I took 2 of everything), frying pan, pots (a big and smaller one maybe), baking tray, storage tubs, utensils like sharp knives, wooden spoons, etc, washing up sponge and liquid, hand towels, cups, plates, glasses, bowls (again, I took 2 of everything for plates etc). Other things you might find useful could be weighing scales, measuring jugs, etc. and anything else you would typically use at home depending on what you like to make e.g. if you're a keen baker, you might need cake tins etc! There's plenty of space, but not too much (if you know what I mean), so don't go too overboard -anything you forget, or realise you need and have extra space for, you can always get another time if you want!

In terms of room space, I'm not entirely sure if there is storage under the bed at Wessex - I was in Bridges, and there was under bed storage there, which was super handy, so I would assume the same for Wessex, but unfortunately, I can't 100% guarantee. I will try and find out for you as if your guitar is important for you, it would be good for you to be able to bring it for sure! There is lots of other storage space, but nowhere else you could store a guitar as such, other than stood up in your room (but that's up to you!). Also, double check the size of the beds in Wessex on our website before you buy your bedding, as sometimes they can be funny sizes - for example, ours were longer than normal single beds in Bridges, so this changed what bedding we needed!

Is there anything in particular you're wondering about bringing/not bringing that you'd like clarification on for your room/bathroom/kitchen? Happy to help where I can, but defo take a look at our website and the blog too!

Skye :smile:
3rd Year Speech and Language Therapy Student
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Thank you so much. That is really helpful. Under bed storage would be handy - here's hoping! I am happy to stand the guitar up - I will make room. I agree that I can always buy stuff that I realise I need at a later date and so don't want to go overboard and buy too much. Your list was really helpful. Do you know what happens now I have been accepted? will the Uni be in touch soon about what to do next?
Original post by UniofReading
Hey Anonymous!

Huge congrats on your place!!

Great question - I would recommend taking a look at the what to bring page on our website, as well as this what to pack student blog, which may be a helpful starting point.
In terms of the kitchen, all you really need is the basic essentials, so: cutlery (I took 2 of everything), frying pan, pots (a big and smaller one maybe), baking tray, storage tubs, utensils like sharp knives, wooden spoons, etc, washing up sponge and liquid, hand towels, cups, plates, glasses, bowls (again, I took 2 of everything for plates etc). Other things you might find useful could be weighing scales, measuring jugs, etc. and anything else you would typically use at home depending on what you like to make e.g. if you're a keen baker, you might need cake tins etc! There's plenty of space, but not too much (if you know what I mean), so don't go too overboard -anything you forget, or realise you need and have extra space for, you can always get another time if you want!

In terms of room space, I'm not entirely sure if there is storage under the bed at Wessex - I was in Bridges, and there was under bed storage there, which was super handy, so I would assume the same for Wessex, but unfortunately, I can't 100% guarantee. I will try and find out for you as if your guitar is important for you, it would be good for you to be able to bring it for sure! There is lots of other storage space, but nowhere else you could store a guitar as such, other than stood up in your room (but that's up to you!). Also, double check the size of the beds in Wessex on our website before you buy your bedding, as sometimes they can be funny sizes - for example, ours were longer than normal single beds in Bridges, so this changed what bedding we needed!

Is there anything in particular you're wondering about bringing/not bringing that you'd like clarification on for your room/bathroom/kitchen? Happy to help where I can, but defo take a look at our website and the blog too!

Skye :smile:
Thank you so much. That is really helpful. Under bed storage would be handy - here's hoping! I am happy to stand the guitar up - I will make room. I agree that I can always buy stuff that I realise I need at a later date and so don't want to go overboard and buy too much. Your list was really helpful. Do you know what happens now I have been accepted? will the Uni be in touch soon about what to do next?

No problem at all! Definitely take it if it's something you enjoy I'd say - will make it feel more like home that way!

The university will be in touch in the coming weeks with information about enrolment (the online part will commence at the start of September, and then in-person things will happen whenever you arrive later) and what happens next, so keep an eye on your emails. It can also be helpful to check your RISIS account every now and again for some helpful updates, but anything you need to know will be communicated to you very soon, don't worry! Most things will happen when you have enrolled and collected your campus card on arrival - you will be given all the information about what to do when and where, then.

Hope this helps! We look forward to welcoming you very soon :smile:
Skye
Reply 4
Thank you. Just worried I will miss something / I should be doing something and I am not!
Original post by UniofReading
No problem at all! Definitely take it if it's something you enjoy I'd say - will make it feel more like home that way!

The university will be in touch in the coming weeks with information about enrolment (the online part will commence at the start of September, and then in-person things will happen whenever you arrive later) and what happens next, so keep an eye on your emails. It can also be helpful to check your RISIS account every now and again for some helpful updates, but anything you need to know will be communicated to you very soon, don't worry! Most things will happen when you have enrolled and collected your campus card on arrival - you will be given all the information about what to do when and where, then.

Hope this helps! We look forward to welcoming you very soon :smile:
Skye
Thank you. Just worried I will miss something / I should be doing something and I am not!

Hey Anonymous!

I definitely agree with everything Skye said about packing for accommodation.

And I understand the worry about missing something important! I'm returning to halls this year and still get a bit anxious about that. But try not to worry, like Skye said - most of the important information gets emailed to you early September, so you can relax for now! If you need to do anything the uni will let you know.

Eliza :smile:
2nd Year Education Studies Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending