The Student Room Group

How do I find new hobbies/activities while on a gap year?

I'm a 19 year old on a gap year right now struggling with the problem of having to much free time and having no idea how to spend it. I want to do more activities and pursue more hobbies but I'm struggling to find any and have little motivation to do anything new. I've tried finding new social groups on sites such as Meetup.com but the problem is that they're all aimed for people much older than I am and while I've tried looking into volunteering there aren't many roles outside of customer service (something I suck at). Two hobbies I've considered are learning the electric guitar or doing some more professional photography. What draws me back from doing these is that buying the equipment for these is kinda expensive and knowing me I'll probably start doing these for a small amount of time, be bad at it and stop immediately. So right now I'm completely lost on what to do with all my free time and am continuously worried about wasting each day. Anyone got any advice on how I should spend my time?
Original post by JackNorris516
I'm a 19 year old on a gap year right now struggling with the problem of having to much free time and having no idea how to spend it. I want to do more activities and pursue more hobbies but I'm struggling to find any and have little motivation to do anything new. I've tried finding new social groups on sites such as Meetup.com but the problem is that they're all aimed for people much older than I am and while I've tried looking into volunteering there aren't many roles outside of customer service (something I suck at). Two hobbies I've considered are learning the electric guitar or doing some more professional photography. What draws me back from doing these is that buying the equipment for these is kinda expensive and knowing me I'll probably start doing these for a small amount of time, be bad at it and stop immediately. So right now I'm completely lost on what to do with all my free time and am continuously worried about wasting each day. Anyone got any advice on how I should spend my time?

Navigating a gap year can be overwhelming with excess free time. Instead of diving into expensive hobbies, start small with accessible activities aligned with your interests. Explore volunteering opportunities beyond customer service roles and set goals to stay motivated.

Quick Reply

Latest