The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Maths 2012-2013 : Discussion and Help Thread

End of 2013 update.

Another year comes to an end - another era of students come to a finish. The AH Maths exam is over, but really, who wants to wait until August to see how they've done!?
AH Maths 2013 solutions are here.
2013 paper is here
Major thanks to ukdragon37 for his continued service to this thread year after year.

So, who has taken Maths for next year then ?, I figured it was about the right time to start up a new AH Maths thread for those who have picked it!

Personally, I am quite looking forward to it, had a glance at the Brightred book recently and it looked rather interesting!,

Figured I'd also copy the resources list from the last thread, as it is very useful, Thanks and credit goes to KELZ_26 for compiling these a few years ago in the original thread. If anyone wants anything added to this then just post and I'll edit this list, I'm working on updating certain one's and will add more recent ones as I find them, some of the links don't work as well, so will try and find new versions.

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Me :-) probably a crazy move but maths is pretty much the only subject I'm genuinely interested in, apart from history, so!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Just completed the course. I'd say if your doing engineering, definitely take this subject.
Original post by S119234
So, who has taken Maths for next year then?

Meeee :woo:

Spoiler

Reply 4
Meee! Along with AH Physics and Computing. Bit scared-y about the Maths though.
Stupid timetable clash :'( See you Maths, I shall miss you for a year.

Edit: Looks like I'll be self-studying. I'll need tonnes of help xD
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by TheFOMaster

Psh what could be more important than Maths?

What!. Why not try to self-study the subject?

Spoiler

Original post by mimx
Psh what could be more important than Maths?

Higher English :'( They wouldn't let me self study that.

Original post by Aerofantastic94
What!. Why not try to self-study the subject?

Spoiler

Hmm, I'll ask my Guidance Teacher, she never let me self study English (Saying Int.2 to Higher was too big a jump (LIES)) but maybe she'll let us do AH. Maths. She is a Maths teacher after all :P
Hmm, I'll ask my Guidance Teacher, she never let me self study English (Saying Int.2 to Higher was too big a jump (LIES)) but maybe she'll let us do AH. Maths. She is a Maths teacher after all :P

If you don't mind me asking, how well did you perform on your Highers? I mean are you aiming for atleast 3 A/B's. If so then you should defintely take it!

Nevertheless, wish you the best on your inquisition! ha

P.S. Self-studying English would be rediculous tbh.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
They always say 'its a big jump' from x to y.

Studying English is painful regardless of how you do it. So how come you are? :tongue:
Original post by Aerofantastic94
If you don't mind me asking, how well did you perform on your Highers? I mean are you aiming for atleast 3 A/B's. If so then you should defintely take it!

Nevertheless, wish you the best on your inquisition! ha

P.S. Self-studying English would be rediculous tbh.

I'll ask :3 I'm aiming for 4A's I think I probably will have completely failed it instead of only moderately failing it if I self studyed it...

Original post by mimx
They always say 'its a big jump' from x to y.

Studying English is painful regardless of how you do it. So how come you are? :tongue:

To be a teacher If I ever really want to. It's definitely among my top 3 career choices :P
I'll ask :3 I'm aiming for 4A's I think I probably will have completely failed it instead of only moderately failing it if I self studyed it...

To be a teacher If I ever really want to. It's definitely among my top 3 career choices :P

Then you should have no wooories in supporting the fact you can take it :tongue:

Spoiler

Woooooo Advanced Maths! :banana:
A sound "No" oh well. I'll be mentally stimulated elsewhere :P
Had a double today. Done a bit of revision and went over the course and done the binomial theorem formulae and revision of long division because apparently it is needed...
Original post by JaggySnake95
Had a double today. Done a bit of revision and went over the course and done the binomial theorem formulae and revision of long division because apparently it is needed...

Different kinds of long division, yes :wink:
Original post by ukdragon37

Yeah, we're not allowed to use the old way we used to use anymore (in primary school) because it doesn't work with letters. :frown:
Original post by ukdragon37

How come 2! (2-n)! equals 2?

Also when adding 2 binomial coefficients I know that you add 1 to the top number of both of them and then use the highest number between both of the bottom numbers. So: (excuse poor communication :lol:)

(3)----(3)----(4)
(2) + (3) = (3)

But I don't understand how this is shown by the binomial theorem formula 3?
How come 2! (2-n)! equals 2?

This only works if n = 1 or n = 2. If n = 1 then 2!(2 - 1)! = 2! * 1! = 2 * 1 = 2. If n = 2 then you have (2 - 2)! = 0! = 1 and it works similarly.

Also when adding 2 binomial coefficients I know that you add 1 to the top number of both of them and then use the highest number between both of the bottom numbers.

That is not correct. The correct formula is (nk1)+(nk)=(n+1k)\displaystyle\binom{n}{k - 1} + \displaystyle\binom{n}{k} = \displaystyle\binom{n + 1}{k}, i.e. it only works when the bottom number differs by 1.

Proof

(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending