The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Maths 2012-2013 : Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bonzo10
Ok so I missed some of the lesson this morning. We've also just started the course. Anyway, algebraic long division. Can someone help me with this step by step and explain why everything appears? I get so far then forget where things come from. Here's an example:

IMG_3441.jpg

If you could explain where to go that'd be good. I'd really be so grateful for specificity and that. Thank you so much.

For algebraic long division, just like synthetic division, you have to right down a value for every term from the highest exponent to the lowest exponent, hence why 0x2 pops up. You have to do this to make the algorithm work, because this is what you're doing: executing an algorithm.

You write it down as such that you see there, which expresses the division: 2x311x+6x2\frac{2x^3 - 11x + 6}{x - 2}

Then the algorithm proceeds as follows, you write it down as you see up there: x - 2/ 2x^3 + 0x^2 - 11x + 6

Let's assume it's of the form ax - b/ cx^3 + dx^2 - ex + f, to save me work

You divide cx^3 by ax to obtain the first term of your answer: cax2\frac{c}{a}x^2. You then go under the what you've written down and subtract cax2(axb)\frac{c}{a}x^2(ax - b) away from the first 2 terms of the algorithm. This leaves you with 0x^3 (so you can make this disappear) and 4x^2, you drop down the next term, -11x down beside it and repeat the algorithm. Do this all the way through, dividing ax by the highest term left in the current remainder to get what you should be on top, then multiply that result by (ax - b) and take that away from the remainder you've got.

(Edit: Just changed the above paragraph a bit as I noticed an inconsistency in naming the coefficients, so I just used words instead :tongue:)

Note: let n = the highest indice of the factor being divided by and let m = the highest indice of the remainder. if n > m, then the algorithm is complete and whatever is left is your final remainder.

I hope this makes sense to you, but in layman terms anyway:

Ask yourself "What do I need to multiply x by to get 2x^3?" the answer is 2x^2, that goes on top as your first term. You then multiply (x - 2) by 2x^2 and subtract that from the dividend polynomial. You then drop the next term down, and take the first term of the remainder, in this case it's 4x^2, you then ask "What do I need to multiply x by to get 4x^2?" -> 4x is the answer. That goes on top as the next term. Multiply (x - 2) by 4x, subtract that from the 2 terms of your polynomial, drop the next term down...and continue.

(x - 2) is a factor, so the remainder = 0, but not everything you divide by will be a factor, and you could end up with some algebraic remainders. In which case you would take what you've got so far on the top and add remainderdivisor\frac{remainder}{divisor} onto the end.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Bonzo10
Ok so I missed some of the lesson this morning. We've also just started the course. Anyway, algebraic long division. Can someone help me with this step by step and explain why everything appears? I get so far then forget where things come from. Here's an example:

IMG_3441.jpg

If you could explain where to go that'd be good. I'd really be so grateful for specificity and that. Thank you so much.

So you start by dividing by the 1st term of the dividend (thing being divided) by the 1st term of the divisor to get 2x^2. You then put this on the top and you are best to keep it in line with the other squared terms to keep things easier to work with.

You then multiply the answer (in this case 2x^2) by each term in the divisor. Take everything away from the above line and you are left with 4x^2-11x-6 (you haven't got the -6 in your photo). You then repeat this process until the 1st term of the remainder has a lower power than the 1st term of the divisor. ie. in this case 2x^2 has a higher power than x so you continue until it is lower.
Reply 182
Original post by Hype en Ecosse

member592149

Thank you both so much!
Does any one know how to do these questions:
Differentiate using the chain, product and quotient rules:

1) y=ln(3x+2)
2) y=(x+2)e
-x

Original post by helpmemaths
Does any one know how to do these questions:
Differentiate using the chain, product and quotient rules:

1) y=ln(3x+2)
2) y=(x+2)e
-x

For 1) use the chain rule.

For 2) use the product rule on (x+2) and e^-x
Reply 185
can anyone help me with this proof? can't get it it equal k2k^2..

(k+23)(k3)=k2\displaystyle \binom{k+2}{3} - \displaystyle \binom{k}{3} = k^2
Reply 186
Original post by Blue7195
can anyone help me with this proof? can't get it it equal k2k^2..

(k+23)(k3)=k2\displaystyle \binom{k+2}{3} - \displaystyle \binom{k}{3} = k^2

What have you done so far?
Write out the definitions, and let's see where you get to.
Reply 187
Original post by Slumpy
What have you done so far?
Write out the definitions, and let's see where you get to.

i just can't work out how to get the denominators to be the same.

(k+23)(k3)[br]=(k+2)!3!((k+2)3)!3!3!(3k)! \displaystyle \binom{k+2}{3} - \displaystyle \binom{k}{3}[br]= \dfrac{(k+2)!}{3!((k+2)-3)!} - \dfrac{3!}{3!(3-k)!}

(k+23)(k3)[br]=(k+2)!3!((k+2)3)!3!3!(3k)! \displaystyle \binom{k+2}{3} - \displaystyle \binom{k}{3}[br]= \dfrac{(k+2)!}{3!((k+2)-3)!} - \dfrac{3!}{3!(3-k)!}

You should simplify the denominator of the left fraction first to 3!(k-1)!. You also have the right fraction being the definition of the upside-down binomial coefficient of the one you actually have.

To get the denominators the same, you should look for something you can multiply the smaller denominator by to get to the larger denominator, and then multiply top and bottom by that.
Reply 189

Your second term there is wrong for one.

And looking at the first term, can you see any way to simplify (k+2)!/(k-1)! ?
(Obviously ((k+2)-3)!=(k-1)! )
Reply 190
Original post by ukdragon37
You should simplify the denominator of the left fraction first to 3!(k-1)!. You also have the right fraction being the definition of the upside-down binomial coefficient of the one you actually have.

To get the denominators the same, you should look for something you can multiply the smaller denominator by to get to the larger denominator, and then multiply top and bottom by that.

ahh thankyou, just have so many problems with these questions, can never work out what to multiply each fraction by
Reply 191
Original post by Slumpy
Your second term there is wrong for one.

And looking at the first term, can you see any way to simplify (k+2)!/(k-1)! ?
(Obviously ((k+2)-3)!=(k-1)! )

misplaced a 3! instead of a k! whoops :P
misplaced a 3! instead of a k! whoops :P

Also it should be (k-3) rather than (3-k)
Reply 193
Original post by ukdragon37
Also it should be (k-3) rather than (3-k)

thankyou!
Reply 194
thankyou!

So really, you would multiply the right fraction until the bottom became 3!(k1)!3!(k-1)! ? the top would become k!(k2)(k1)k!(k-2)(k-1)? Then i could subtract the fractions? sorry for the questions, this part of the topic really confuses me
So really, you would multiply the right fraction until the bottom became 3!(k1)!3!(k-1)! ? the top would become k!(k2)(k1)k!(k-2)(k-1)? Then i could subtract the fractions? sorry for the questions, this part of the topic really confuses me

Yep that's right :smile:
Optimization problems

A sector of a circle with radius r cm has an area of 16cm2

a) show that the perimeter P cm of the sector is given by

P(r)= 2(r+16/r)

b) Find the minimum value of P

Please help i have no idea how to do this question
Original post by helpmemaths
Optimization problems

A sector of a circle with radius r cm has an area of 16cm2

a) show that the perimeter P cm of the sector is given by

P(r)= 2(r+16/r)

b) Find the minimum value of P

Please help i have no idea how to do this question

For part a) remember that the area of a sector =θ360πr2 = \frac{\theta}{360} \pi r^2 and that the curvy bit on a sector = θ3602πr \frac{\theta}{360} 2 \pi r

Can you see a substitution you can do to get rid of the part of the formula you don't have information on? :wink:

I'll give you a hint if get stuck

part b) Differentiate P(r) to find the values for which P'(r) = 0, you can use a nature table to find which is a minimum.
(edited 11 years ago)
We were doing an optimisation question and it involved factorising 2ln(1/2x)-1=0

The final answer was x=0.303 but I'm not sure of the steps on how to get there.
Original post by Zepploydath
We were doing an optimisation question and it involved factorising 2ln(1/2x)-1=0

The final answer was x=0.303 but I'm not sure of the steps on how to get there.

ln(12x)=12\ln\left(\dfrac{1}{2x}\right) = \dfrac{1}{2}

ln2x=12\ln 2x = -\dfrac{1}{2}

2x=e122x = e^{-\frac{1}{2}}

x=12e0.303 x = \dfrac{1}{2 \sqrt{e}} \approx 0.303

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending