The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Maths 2012-2013 : Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Thought it was quite a difficult paper. Actually managed to get the diophantine equation bit, never managed it before. Was quite paranoid about the complex number bit so I did it two ways to make sure the answer was the same. Induction proof wasn't the easiest, but I think I got it.
For question ten (b) - Did anyone else say the circles intersected at x=2 ?

Bloody question 14, we had been told that this would not come up at all as it wasn't in the course anymore but that if a root was the same as the power in f(x), then use pxe3x pxe^{3x} but that equalled 0 as well and instead of looking for other Yp 's, I told the paper to **** off and just carried on with it being 0. (I'm really going to lose most of the marks in the question, aren't I?)
Managed 16 a and c, but couldn't get b.
And 17 was okay, after 10 mins of trying to work out what it wanted.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Asklepios
z1=z+5[br](x1)2+y2=(x+5)2+y2[br]x22x+1=x2+10x+25[br]12x=24[br]x=2 |z-1| = |z +5| [br](x-1)^2 +y^2 = (x+5)^2 + y^2 [br]x^2 - 2x +1 = x^2 + 10 x + 25 [br]12x = -24[br]x = -2

are you looking a 100% mate?
Original post by Shengis14

For question ten (b) - Did anyone else say the circles intersected at x=2 ?

There are no circles in (b), it's a perpendicular bisector of the points, i.e. a straight line.

For (a) there was just one circle.
Love how people in other schools know all the names of the rules and we just say things like the thing instead of notation
Original post by 847495606958
There are no circles in (b), it's a perpendicular bisector of the points, i.e. a straight line.

For (a) there was just one circle.

Can't even remember if I said + or - 2, and surely I'll just lose the last mark for saying it's a circle?
Original post by I am Ace

If it makes a difference, I got that too (though I might have said +2, cant remember)

Yes :biggrin:
Original post by Shengis14
If it makes a difference, I got that too (though I might have said +2, cant remember)

I meant has he got everything right

Congrats, I think realistically I lost two or three marks.

How'd you not end up getting a Cambridge offer anyway, you seem pretty capable.

Ahhh that's great to hear! Big congratulations! :biggrin:
Reply 1990
I meant has he got everything right

I think I've 100%'d too, from our answer scene so far anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reece:)
I think I've 100%'d too, from our answer scene so far anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course you have :wink:

I'm actually quite annoyed that I haven't - pathetic as that sounds.

Ran out of time for the proof by induction and last 3 marks of the last question.

The only one I got legit wrong was the second order diff. which if I hadn't made a mistake with the ammended PI I'd have got - again if I wasn't running low on time.

I really did take it slow though, like really, really slow lmao
Think I've got about 69 - 73...
Probably gonna be a B though, I'm guessing I'm marking generously. :tongue:
Reply 1993

Ran out of time for the proof by induction and last 3 marks of the last question.

The only one I got legit wrong was the second order diff. which if I hadn't made a mistake with the ammended PI I'd have got - again if I wasn't running low on time.

Yeah, you've not done badly though so don't kick yourself about it! That PI is a tricky question, was surprised to see it!

Yeah you must have taken it really slow :tongue: I was done when the highers finished paper 1, was such a long afternoon:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reece:)
Yeah, you've not done badly though so don't kick yourself about it! That PI is a tricky question, was surprised to see it!

Yeah you must have taken it really slow :tongue: I was done when the highers finished paper 1, was such a long afternoon:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just tried to redo it and the amended version still cancelled out to zero.
Can you post up how to get the PI?

I first tried y=pe^3x
then y= xpe^3x

both of those result in cancellations to 0
I'm really glad that it seems to have gone so well for a lot of you!

You think that's bad? I couldn't tell a left from a right lung in an anatomy spot test today. Choked so hard.

I'm the same tbh, I know I was capable, don't believe the stupid arithmetic errors and stuff that I made, and the Integration by parts... Its embarrasing to differentiate instead of integrate at AH level tbh
I just tried to redo it and the amended version still cancelled out to zero.
Can you post up how to get the PI?

I first tried y=pe^3x
then y= xpe^3x

both of those result in cancellations to 0

y = x^2pe^3x
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I'm really glad that it seems to have gone so well for a lot of you!

You think that's bad? I couldn't tell a left from a right lung in an anatomy spot test today. Choked so hard.

In the diagram, is one on the left and other on the right...
If so you should definitely hide in shame
Original post by 847495606958
Congrats, I think realistically I lost two or three marks.

How'd you not end up getting a Cambridge offer anyway, you seem pretty capable.

Screwed up BMAT (section 1) and ran out of time. Still managed to get pooled though (and my feedback said I was the top ranked pooled candidate at Caius).

Anyhow, I'm pretty happy with Edinburgh and I save a lot of money
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending