The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Maths 2012-2013 : Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Slumpy
So can you do something similar in this case? What do you get to?

i get to the same stage, i just can't simplify it down to x+iyx+iy, or could you leave it in that form?
Reply 381
Original post by Blue7195
i get to the same stage, i just can't simplify it down to x+iyx+iy, or could you leave it in that form?

Write it in terms of the specific problem you're doing now.
Reply 382
Original post by Slumpy
Write it in terms of the specific problem you're doing now.

i'm an idiot.. i was going too far into multiplying sin and cos out and ended up with crazy stuff, just worked it out there, sorry for that, thanks again!
Reply 383
Hey guys,

Would be so grateful if anybody could help at all with these questions? Missed a lot of the course so struggling a wee bit. It's question 2, 3 and 4 from the picture attached. I think I kind of have them, but some clarification would be helpful. Thanks a lot.

image.jpg
Original post by Bonzo10
Hey guys,

Would be so grateful if anybody could help at all with these questions? Missed a lot of the course so struggling a wee bit. It's question 2, 3 and 4 from the picture attached. I think I kind of have them, but some clarification would be helpful. Thanks a lot.

image.jpg

What in particular are you stuck on? For both 2 and 3 use the chain and product rules and for 4 use the quotient rule. You also need to know the standard derivatives for trig and e^x.
Reply 385
Original post by ukdragon37
What in particular are you stuck on? For both 2 and 3 use the chain and product rules and for 4 use the quotient rule. You also need to know the standard derivatives for trig and e^x.

Thanks for your response.

For 2, I got as far as:

dy/dx = -(sinx)^2.(secx)^2.e^-tanx +2e^-tanx.sinxcosx and can't figure out where to go from there.

For 3, I got as far as dy/dx = x(3xsec^2(3x) + 2tan(3x)), and the 0<x<pi/6 is throwing me.

For 4, I got as far as e^x(2x-1)/(1+2x)^2, however I have a feeling that this is wrong.

Thank you again :smile:
Original post by Bonzo10
Thanks for your response.

For 2, I got as far as:

dy/dx = -(sinx)^2.(secx)^2.e^-tanx +2e^-tanx.sinxcosx and can't figure out where to go from there.

For 3, I got as far as dy/dx = x(3xsec^2(3x) + 2tan(3x)), and the 0<x<pi/6 is throwing me.

For 4, I got as far as e^x(2x-1)/(1+2x)^2, however I have a feeling that this is wrong.

Thank you again :smile:

For 2 that is correct and it is f'(x). To find f'(pi/4) you just need to substitute pi/4 for x in your answer and simplify.

For 3 that is also correct and you are done. The limits are just being pedantic in that they are making it "technically" correct.

For 4 that is also the correct derivative. You just need to make it = 0 and solve for x.
Reply 387
Original post by ukdragon37
For 2 that is correct and it is f'(x). To find f'(pi/4) you just need to substitute pi/4 for x in your answer and simplify.

For 3 that is also correct and you are done. The limits are just being pedantic in that they are making it "technically" correct.

For 4 that is also the correct derivative. You just need to make it = 0 and solve for x.

Thank you, repped.
Obviously when curve sketching you need to work our Stationary Points and their nature. When would I need to look for a non-horizontal POI? Just when there is a maximum TP and a minimum TP and not a horizontal POI? OR do I always attempt to look for a non-horizontal POI?
Original post by Zepploydath
Obviously when curve sketching you need to work our Stationary Points and their nature. When would I need to look for a non-horizontal POI? Just when there is a maximum TP and a minimum TP and not a horizontal POI? OR do I always attempt to look for a non-horizontal POI?

You never need to unless it explictly asks you to find all POI (althoguh remember that horizontal POI are stationary points so you need to find them in any case). If you draw all the stationary points and asymptotes then you'll get the shape about right regardless of any non-horizontal POI.
Reply 390
Ok, me again. Doing an A-C unit test and have a question I'm finding challenging. I hope yous don't mind helping

Unit Test
In the expansion of (1 + px)(1 +px)5, where p, q R, and p and q are not = 0 or each other, the coefficient of x2 is zero and the coefficient of x3 is -270.

Find the values of p and q.

I've got to the point where I have expanded and have this which, for a start I'm unsure if it is correct, is not allowing me to go further:

pq5x6 + (5pq4 +q5)x5 + (10pq3 +5q4)x4 + (10pq2 + 10q3)x3 + (5pq + 10q2)x2 + (p + 5q)x + 1

I have tried equating the coefficients of x2 and x3 to their respective values in the question but I'm stuck. I'm not even sure if what I've done so far is right. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Reply 391
Original post by Bonzo10
Ok, me again. Doing an A-C unit test and have a question I'm finding challenging. I hope yous don't mind helping

I've got to the point where I have expanded and have this which, for a start I'm unsure if it is correct, is not allowing me to go further:

pq5x6 + (5pq4 +q5)x5 + (10pq3 +5q4)x4 + (10pq2 + 10q3)x3 + (5pq + 10q2)x2 + (p + 5q)x + 1

I have tried equating the coefficients of x2 and x3 to their respective values in the question but I'm stuck. I'm not even sure if what I've done so far is right. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

There's a better way than expanding it all (that I know some really cool dude was supposed to give you before he had to go scrape some dirt off plants), which I'll type out in a min, but the correct expansion of that is:

pq5x6+5pq4x5+10pq3x4+10pq2x3+5pqx2+px+q5x5+5q4x4+10q3x3+10q2x2+5qx+1p q^5 x^6+5 p q^4 x^5+10 p q^3 x^4+10 p q^2 x^3+5 p q x^2+p x+q^5 x^5+5 q^4 x^4+10 q^3 x^3+10 q^2 x^2+5 q x+1

From there you can get the coefficients of the x2 and x3 terms:

(5pq+10q2)x2( 5 p q + 10 q^2 ) x^2

(10pq2+10q3)x3( 10 p q^2 + 10 q^3 ) x^3

Then equating coefficients:

5pq+10q2=05 p q + 10 q^2 = 0

5q(p+2q)=05 q (p + 2q) = 0

p+2q=0p+2q = 0 (or 5q = 0, but we know q isn't 0)

p=2qp = -2q

and

10pq2+10q3=27010 p q^2 + 10 q^3 = -270

Now solve these as simultaneous equations. Sub in p=-2q to the second one:

10(2q)q2+10q3=27010 (-2q) q^2 + 10 q^3 = -270

10q3=270-10 q^3 = -270

q=3q=3

and then that into the first one:

p=2(3)p = -2(3)

p=6p = -6
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 392
Other method:

(1+px)(1+qx)5(1 + px)(1 +qx)^5

General term for (1 + px):

(1r)11r(px)r\binom{1}{r} 1^{1-r}(px)^r

General term for (1 + qx)^5:

(5r)15r(qx)r\binom{5}{r} 1^{5-r}(qx)^r

We know the coefficient of the x2 term and the x3 term, and we can use the general terms to find those coefficients in terms of p and q without expanding the whole thing out.

If you imagine you've already expanded (1 +qx)5, you'd have a bunch of terms in there of varying powers of x - from x0 all the way up to x5. Since you've already done it the long way you should be able to see that there are a number of ways that x2 terms come out the other end when you multiply the (1 + px) by the expansion of (1 +qx)5. First, you get the x0 term from the first bracket multiplying by the x2 term from the big expansion; then you've got the x1 term from the first bracket multiplied by the x1 term from the big expansion. Both x0 * x2 and x1 * x1 will give you an x2 term. If you were doing it the long way you'd have seen two x2 terms after multiplying it out and collected them together.

To represent that (for x2) with the general terms we do:

[(10)11(px)0]×[(52)13(qx)2]+[(11)10(px)1]×[(51)14(qx)1][\binom{1}{0} 1^1 (px)^0] \times [\binom{5}{2} 1^3 (qx)^2] + [\binom{1}{1} 1^0 (px)^1] \times [\binom{5}{1} 1^4 (qx)^1]

=[1]×[10q2x2]+[px]×[5qx] = [1] \times [10q^2 x^2] + [px] \times [5qx]

=10q2x2+5pqx2 = 10q^2 x^2 + 5pqx^2

=(10q2+5pq)x2 = (10q^2 + 5pq ) x^2

Which should look familiar from above. You can do the same for x3 and you'll get the same simultaneous equations out at the end.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 393
Original post by 849582394
Other method:

(1+px)(1+qx)5(1 + px)(1 +qx)^5

General term for (1 + px):

(1r)11r(px)r\binom{1}{r} 1^{1-r}(px)^r

General term for (1 + qx)^5:

(5r)15r(qx)r\binom{5}{r} 1^{5-r}(qx)^r

We know the coefficient of the x2 term and the x3 term, and we can use the general terms to find those coefficients in terms of p and q without expanding the whole thing out.

If you imagine you've already expanded (1 +qx)5, you'd have a bunch of terms in there of varying powers of x - from x0 all the way up to x5. Since you've already done it the long way you should be able to see that there are a number of ways that x2 terms come out the other end when you multiply the (1 + px) by the expansion of (1 +qx)5. First, you get the x0 term from the first bracket multiplying by the x2 term from the big expansion; then you've got the x1 term from the first bracket multiplied by the x1 term from the big expansion. Both x0 * x2 and x1 * x1 will give you an x2 term. If you were doing it the long way you'd have seen two x2 terms after multiplying it out and collected them together.

To represent that (for x2) with the general terms we do:

[(10)11(px)0]×[(52)13(qx)2]+[(11)10(px)1]×[(51)14(qx)1][\binom{1}{0} 1^1 (px)^0] \times [\binom{5}{2} 1^3 (qx)^2] + [\binom{1}{1} 1^0 (px)^1] \times [\binom{5}{1} 1^4 (qx)^1]

=[1]×[10q2x2]+[px]×[5qx] = [1] \times [10q^2 x^2] + [px] \times [5qx]

=10q2x2+5pqx2 = 10q^2 x^2 + 5pqx^2

=(10q2+5pq)x2 = (10q^2 + 5pq ) x^2

Which should look familiar from above. You can do the same for x3 and you'll get the same simultaneous equations out at the end.

Remarkable. Thank you very much. Even more remarkable was your ability to find this and me.

I was a step away from completing it the first way, just didn't think to put the value of p=-2q into the x3 coefficient.

Thanks again.
I'm having a little trouble with asymptotes. In my notes when finding out a vertical asymptote you are looking for when the denominator is 0. So the curve of 1/x as a vertical asymptote at x=0. However my notes then mentions negatives and positives and as x tends towards negative and positive infinity. I'm not sure about any of this and if you need to know it? My notes says + means it approaches from the right and - means it approaches from the left. But surely you would know this anyway from solving the asymptote? :s-smilie:
I'm having a little trouble with asymptotes. In my notes when finding out a vertical asymptote you are looking for when the denominator is 0. So the curve of 1/x as a vertical asymptote at x=0. However my notes then mentions negatives and positives and as x tends towards negative and positive infinity. I'm not sure about any of this and if you need to know it? My notes says + means it approaches from the right and - means it approaches from the left. But surely you would know this anyway from solving the asymptote? :s-smilie:

You do need to know this. Numberphile actually did quite a good video addressing this when talking about division by zero.

Anyway, what you've got is a function 1x\frac{1}{x}, and you want to sketch this function in its entirety. Since you can't divide by zero, there's obviously not a zero point, so we have to find out what happens when you tend to zero. limx01x\displaystyle\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{1}{x}.

Now, if you start off with x = 1, you get 1. x = 0.1, you get 10, x = 0.01, you get 100. As you get closer and closer from the positive direction, your number gets bigger and bigger. limx0+1x=+\displaystyle\lim_{x \to 0^+} \frac{1}{x} = +\infty

However, if you start with x = -1, you get -1. x = -0.1, you get -10, and so on. As you get closer and closer from the NEGATIVE side, your number gets smaller and smaller. limx01x=\displaystyle\lim_{x \to 0^-} \frac{1}{x} = -\infty

So it does matter what side you approach it from.

It's not immediately obvious by "solving the asymptote" (I'm not sure what you mean by this, I assume you meant "finding"). As you could also approach positive infinity from the negative side in another function, or approach negative infinity from the positive side. What happens to a function as it tends to zero depends entirely on that function. So it's important to be able to work it out.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
You do need to know this. Numberphile actually did quite a good video addressing this when talking about division by zero.

Anyway, what you've got is a function 1x\frac{1}{x}, and you want to sketch this function in its entirety. Since you can't divide by zero, there's obviously not a zero point, so we have to find out what happens when you tend to zero. limx01x\displaystyle\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{1}{x}.

Now, if you start off with x = 1, you get 1. x = 0.1, you get 10, x = 0.01, you get 100. As you get closer and closer from the positive direction, your number gets bigger and bigger. limx0+1x=+\displaystyle\lim_{x \to 0^+} \frac{1}{x} = +\infty

However, if you start with x = -1, you get -1. x = -0.1, you get -10, and so on. As you get closer and closer from the NEGATIVE side, your number gets smaller and smaller. limx01x=\displaystyle\lim_{x \to 0^-} \frac{1}{x} = -\infty

So it does matter what side you approach it from.

It's not immediately obvious by "solving the asymptote" (I'm not sure what you mean by this, I assume you meant "finding"). As you could also approach positive infinity from the negative side in another function, or approach negative infinity from the positive side. What happens to a function as it tends to zero depends entirely on that function. So it's important to be able to work it out.

Yeah, I meant finding, sorry.

What I'm not sure about is how this is relevant when sketching the graph?

And for horizontal and slant asymptotes the process seems to be reversed and you are you are doing x tending towards positive and negative infinity. What does this mean when sketching the graph?
Yeah, I meant finding, sorry.

What I'm not sure about is how this is relevant when sketching the graph?

And for horizontal and slant asymptotes the process seems to be reversed and you are you are doing x tending towards positive and negative infinity. What does this mean when sketching the graph?

I've attached a graph of 1/x. If you look at it, you can clearly see it launching off into ±\pm \infty. Now pretend you've never seen the graph of 1/x before, or pretend you've never sketched the function. You know that there is a vertical asymptote at x = 0, so you know the graph never touches that point.

However, there are two ways the graph can move closer and closer to the asymptote without ever touching it. It can move up, and it can move down. If you've never seen a graph of a function before, you have no way of telling if it goes up or down - a characteristic that's fundamental to the shape. So you have to find out what direction it goes so that you can sketch it properly. Look at the differences between the graphs of 1x\frac{1}{x} and 1x-\frac{1}{x} to see how this direction matters in sketching the shape of the graph.

As for with horizontal and slant asymptotes tending towards ±\pm \infty, just look at the graph of 1/x again. It shoots off into infinity to the left and right as well. :wink:
For another function with an oblique asymptote, it would just shoot off into infinity diagonally like here.!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 398
by u substitution, u=x3u=x^3
Unparseable latex formula:

int\ {frac\{x^2}{x^6+1}}dx)

I got it to
13x6+3)\frac{1}{3x^6+3})
13u2+3du\frac{1}{3u^2+3}du
Then I tried to let v=3u2+3v=3u^2+3
And for the past hour I've went round in circles using u substitution getting nowhere
Correcting LaTeX...

Original post by I am Ace
by u substitution, u=x3u=x^3
x2x6+1dx\int\frac{x^2}{x^6+1}dx
I got it to
13x6+3du\frac{1}{3x^6+3}du
13u2+3du\frac{1}{3u^2+3}du
Then I tried to let v=3u2+3v=3u^2+3
And for the past hour I've went round in circles using u substitution getting nowhere

You've done it correctly up to 13u2+3du\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{3u^2+3}du. This is equivalent to 131u2+1du\displaystyle \frac{1}{3} \int \frac{1}{u^2+1}du and from the course you should know the standard integral of 1u2+1du\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{u^2+1}du is tan1u\tan^{-1} u. Hence 131u2+1du=13tan1u+C=13tan1x3+C\displaystyle \frac{1}{3} \int \frac{1}{u^2+1}du = \frac{1}{3} \tan^{-1} u + C = \frac{1}{3} \tan^{-1} x^3 + C

While everyone doing the course learns the standard integrals and derivatives by heart, since you are applying to Cambridge you should also know how to prove each of them is true. They are the kind of things that could come up in the interview (for maths probably just as icebreakers).
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending