The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Maths 2012-2013 : Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shengis14
Hey guys, can anyone explain the sigma notation to me? It keeps coming up in adv maths but my teacher is essentially useless

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

For example a sum can be written in the form:

n=14(2n+1)\displaystyle \sum_{n = 1}^{4} \left(2n + 1\right)

The bit below the sigma sign is the lower limit, the bit above it is the upper limit, and the bit to the right is called the summand. In the lower limit, in this case n=1n = 1, the variable denotes which variable in the summand is to be replaced by some number and this number is taken from the sequence of consecutive numbers that is formed between the lower number (1) and the upper limit (4).

So what this sum says is to count from 1 to 4, and for each number substitute n in the summand by that number and then add all the summands together.

Hence

n=14(2n+1)=(2×1+1)+(2×2+1)+(2×3+1)+(2×4+1)\displaystyle \sum_{n = 1}^{4} \left(2n + 1\right) = \left(2 \times 1 + 1\right) + \left(2 \times 2 + 1\right) + \left(2 \times 3 + 1\right) +\left(2 \times 4 + 1\right)
Original post by ukdragon37
For example a sum can be written in the form:

n=14(2n+1)\displaystyle \sum_{n = 1}^{4} \left(2n + 1\right)

The bit below the sigma sign is the lower limit, the bit above it is the upper limit, and the bit to the right is called the summand. In the lower limit, in this case n=1n = 1, the variable denotes which variable in the summand is to be replaced by some number and this number is taken from the sequence of consecutive numbers that is formed between the lower number (1) and the upper limit (4).

So what this sum says is to count from 1 to 4, and for each number substitute n in the summand by that number and then add all the summands together.

Hence

n=14(2n+1)=(2×1+1)+(2×2+1)+(2×3+1)+(2×4+1)\displaystyle \sum_{n = 1}^{4} \left(2n + 1\right) = \left(2 \times 1 + 1\right) + \left(2 \times 2 + 1\right) + \left(2 \times 3 + 1\right) +\left(2 \times 4 + 1\right)

Ah you're a legend, ukdragon37, what would this thread do without you?

So it's like the integration symbol then, the lowest value on the bottom and the highest on the top?

Original post by Shengis14
Ah you're a legend, ukdragon37, what would this thread do without you?

So it's like the integration symbol then, the lowest value on the bottom and the highest on the top?

Yep, but the variable which is being summed over appears on the bottom (and in an integral it appears on the side as dx)
Reply 583
Differential Equations:
Missed the damn note on this and subsequently am not quite getting the gist of it:
Oil dripping on a garage floor making ever increasing circular stain.
When radius = 3, the radius is increasing at a rate of 0.2cm/s
Calculate the rate at which the area is increasing at that time
Original post by I am Ace
Differential Equations:
Missed the damn note on this and subsequently am not quite getting the gist of it:

This is related rates. Just different applications of chain and product rules using numbers as well.

Oil dripping on a garage floor making ever increasing circular stain.
When radius = 3, the radius is increasing at a rate of 0.2cm/s

Let t be the elapsed time and r be the radius. Hence when r = 3, drdt=0.2\dfrac{dr}{dt} = 0.2 in cm/s (assuming r is 3cm).

Calculate the rate at which the area is increasing at that time

Let A be the area. You want to calculate dAdt\dfrac{dA}{dt}. This is done by coming up with an equation which connects the unknown dimension (A) with the known dimension (r) and then applying the chain rule to the known facts.

Since the stain is a circle, the area and radius are related by A=πr2A = \pi r^2. There are two ways to proceed that are essentially the same:

1) Differentiating both sides with respect to t, remembering to apply the chain rule to r, gives:

dAdt=2πrdrdt\dfrac{dA}{dt} = 2 \pi r \dfrac{dr}{dt}

Substitute in r = 3 and dr/dt = 0.2 gives dAdt=2π×3×0.2=1.2π\dfrac{dA}{dt} = 2 \pi \times 3 \times 0.2 = 1.2 \pi cm^2/s.

2) Differentiate both sides with respect to r gives:

dAdr=2πr\dfrac{dA}{dr} = 2 \pi r

Substitute in r = 3 gives dAdr=6π\dfrac{dA}{dr} = 6 \pi.

Then dAdt=dAdr×drdt=6π×0.2=1.2π\dfrac{dA}{dt} = \dfrac{dA}{dr} \times \dfrac{dr}{dt} = 6 \pi \times 0.2 = 1.2 \pi cm^2/s.
Reply 585
Original post by ukdragon37
This is related rates. Just different applications of chain and product rules using numbers as well.

Let t be the elapsed time and r be the radius. Hence when r = 3, drdt=0.2\dfrac{dr}{dt} = 0.2 in cm/s (assuming r is 3cm).

Let A be the area. You want to calculate dAdt\dfrac{dA}{dt}. This is done by coming up with an equation which connects the unknown dimension (A) with the known dimension (r) and then applying the chain rule to the known facts.

Since the stain is a circle, the area and radius are related by A=πr2A = \pi r^2. There are two ways to proceed that are essentially the same:

1) Differentiating both sides with respect to t, remembering to apply the chain rule to r, gives:

dAdt=2πrdrdt\dfrac{dA}{dt} = 2 \pi r \dfrac{dr}{dt}

Substitute in r = 3 and dr/dt = 0.2 gives dAdt=2π×3×0.2=1.2π\dfrac{dA}{dt} = 2 \pi \times 3 \times 0.2 = 1.2 \pi cm^2/s.

2) Differentiate both sides with respect to r gives:

dAdr=2πr\dfrac{dA}{dr} = 2 \pi r

Substitute in r = 3 gives dAdr=6π\dfrac{dA}{dr} = 6 \pi.

Then dAdt=dAdr×drdt=6π×0.2=1.2π\dfrac{dA}{dt} = \dfrac{dA}{dr} \times \dfrac{dr}{dt} = 6 \pi \times 0.2 = 1.2 \pi cm^2/s.

Ah, I never thought about the [;A]
Thanks mate.
I was wondering, how does STEP compare with first year Cam maths?
I've looked at some of the Syllabus for 1st year and am aware that a lot of 1st year is bringing folk who've not done FM/ AM up to speed.
Another thing, a lot of the stuff the guys are talking about on the STEP thread with integrating using series', which we've not covered yet.
I'm wondering how your STEP prep went even though you'd not covered everything by January (presumably when you started preparing), I'm aware that some of the guys there are on gap years so have covered the course completely.
How's the PhD coming along? Did Cam make you an offer?
I've looked at some of the Syllabus for 1st year and am aware that a lot of 1st year is bringing folk who've not done FM/ AM up to speed.

What syllabus is that? Sure you didn't see the natural sciences maths syllabus? The maths tripos cover FM/AM in like two weeks or something and those who didn't do those are expected to catch up in some extra classes provided such as mechanics.

It compares like from SG to Higher, if not wider. It's a genuine step-up with lots of new material.

Another thing, a lot of the stuff the guys are talking about on the STEP thread with integrating using series', which we've not covered yet.

That is not in A-level or AH and it probably is not even a required skill for STEP. A lot of the things in the STEP thread have now very little to do with STEP. But you should look at the genuine STEP paper questions and see what you need to be strong at.

I'm wondering how your STEP prep went even though you'd not covered everything by January (presumably when you started preparing), I'm aware that some of the guys there are on gap years so have covered the course completely.

By January I had covered everything in AH Maths (long story, essentially I did AH a year early), and it was only Stats I was part-way through. I didn't take STEP very seriously because it was only optional for me, since I was going to do computer science.

However you should not depend on the AH course completing to somehow making you "get" STEP. AH usually does not progress a topic deeper after you learn it so what you know now about further integration etc. is as much as the course is going to talk on the topic. You should apply that now to STEP straightaway.

Yes a lot of the guys on the STEP thread have completed their school courses, but that doesn't give them the techniques which they are using to solve STEP questions with ease because those techniques are actually university-level and those guys gained them through reading ahead.

How's the PhD coming along? Did Cam make you an offer?

Applications nearly all submitted but it's early days yet :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 587
what further reading have they been doing? I'd go back and check but it'd take ages to find thee discussion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 588
what further reading have they been doing? I'd go back and check but it'd take ages to find thee discussion

Well there's no set progression obviously but you could try reading more in-depth treatments of single topics instead of the general purpose textbook you get for AH. Pick a topic you like and go find a well rated book on amazon; you can read the reviews to gauge whether it's of an appropriate level or not.

STEP is doable without going beyond A-Level knowledge (plus one or two little things) though. You can read the actual spec here. That's not to say additional practice isn't needed, of course.

Are you sitting it, or just interested? Or you won't know for a few days yet? :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 589

As ukd says, most of cam maths 1st year is not bringing you up to speed in any way - basically being on top of M+FM is assumed, though you'll get like a week of lectures in some courses that you'll be familiar with. STEP I found pretty easy, 1st year uni I found much harder, but got similar results. It's rather different in style. I'd also say AH to 1st year was an actual jump, whereas I never noticed one in school - take from that what you will!

Basically, to be good at STEP, be very on top of AH, and practice a bunch. You don't really need further techniques for the most part.
If you intend to do STEP III though, there's some stuff involved which isn't in the AH course, so might be worth looking into.

Just thought I'd add another perspective there.
Reply 590
Original post by mimx
Well there's no set progression obviously but you could try reading more in-depth treatments of single topics instead of the general purpose textbook you get for AH. Pick a topic you like and go find a well rated book on amazon; you can read the reviews to gauge whether it's of an appropriate level or not.

STEP is doable without going beyond A-Level knowledge (plus one or two little things) though. You can read the actual spec here. That's not to say additional practice isn't needed, of course.

Are you sitting it, or just interested? Or you won't know for a few days yet? :tongue:

Yes I know that reading much further in depth would increase my knowledge but I'm also looking for some cheeky sledgehammers to crack some of STEP - I think Laplace was one - for a given question, as well as other transforms - but I was wondering where people were learning these, I could go back on the thread and check but it's probably lost in the pages.
I have a few in mind but I'm not sure:
1. Spivak's Calculus
2. Mathematical methods for Physicists and engineers
3. Concise intro to pure maths
I'll be doing it regardless of a Cam offer - I'll be a reapplicant for 2014 :wink:
Are you a Scottish student there? I've not seen you on this thread.
Reply 591
Original post by Slumpy
As ukd says, most of cam maths 1st year is not bringing you up to speed in any way - basically being on top of M+FM is assumed, though you'll get like a week of lectures in some courses that you'll be familiar with. STEP I found pretty easy, 1st year uni I found much harder, but got similar results. It's rather different in style. I'd also say AH to 1st year was an actual jump, whereas I never noticed one in school - take from that what you will!

Basically, to be good at STEP, be very on top of AH, and practice a bunch. You don't really need further techniques for the most part.
If you intend to do STEP III though, there's some stuff involved which isn't in the AH course, so might be worth looking into.

Just thought I'd add another perspective there.

I'm fairly on top of the AH, but things like Laplace I've never heard of and using certain techniques for integration I have literally no idea what they're talking about.
I'm fairly on top of the AH, but things like Laplace I've never heard of and using certain techniques for integration I have literally no idea what they're talking about.

You don't need to be worried about those things. Just concentrate on your preparation.
Reply 593

If it helps, that's no real barrier to you. I did I/II and got S/I without knowing anything much beyond AH. Being really on top of the stuff you need to know, and haing practised a bunch is much more helpful.
Reply 594
OK, so how did you prepare? Are you a Cam student

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 595
OK, so how did you prepare? Are you a Cam student

Posted from TSR Mobile

Graduated now, but I was. For prep, I got to go to the STEP summer school (a course for people from schools which didn't offer STEP support), and just did some past papers. I got a guy at the local university who'd formerly been at Cam to mark a couple and give me pointers too, which probably helped.
Reply 596
Yes I know that reading much further in depth would increase my knowledge but I'm also looking for some cheeky sledgehammers to crack some of STEP - I think Laplace was one - for a given question, as well as other transforms - but I was wondering where people were learning these, I could go back on the thread and check but it's probably lost in the pages.
I have a few in mind but I'm not sure:
1. Spivak's Calculus
2. Mathematical methods for Physicists and engineers
3. Concise intro to pure maths
I'll be doing it regardless of a Cam offer - I'll be a reapplicant for 2014 :wink:
Are you a Scottish student there? I've not seen you on this thread.

I'm not a Cam student but I'll be doing STEP in June.

My knowledge is a little beyond AH just because I've had a bit of an unusual educational history but TBH I don't find myself using/needing anything extra with past papers apart from the standard A-Level FM stuff.

Which centre are you (thinking of) using?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 597
May i get help with this question? I know it will be simple but i just can't get the correct answer:

Suppose that x and y are differentiable functions of t and that

d2ydx2=t2+1,dydx=t3+3t\dfrac{d^2y}{dx^2} = t^2 + 1 , \dfrac{dy}{dx} = t^3 + 3t

Find x(t) given that x(1) = 4

thanks for any help
Original post by Blue7195
May i get help with this question? I know it will be simple but i just can't get the correct answer:

Suppose that x and y are differentiable functions of t and that

d2ydx2=t2+1,dydx=t3+3t\dfrac{d^2y}{dx^2} = t^2 + 1 , \dfrac{dy}{dx} = t^3 + 3t

Find x(t) given that x(1) = 4

thanks for any help

Keep in mind that to find x(t) you'll need dxdt\frac{dx}{dt}

Also keep in mind that d2ydx2=ddt(dydx)×dtdx\frac{d^2y}{dx^2} = \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{dy}{dx}) \times \frac{dt}{dx}

Do you know what to do now? :wink:
Reply 599
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Keep in mind that to find x(t) you'll need dxdt\frac{dx}{dt}

Also keep in mind that d2ydx2=ddt(dydx)×dtdx\frac{d^2y}{dx^2} = \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{dy}{dx}) \times \frac{dt}{dx}

Do you know what to do now? :wink:

NEVERMIND. got it, me being me and not simplifying .. *sigh* thankyou!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending