The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Maths 2012-2013 : Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by I am Ace
Hi mate,

When you're dealing with projectiles do you have to prove a less known formula before using it?

Example,

t=2usinθgt=\dfrac{2usin\theta}{g}

R=u2sin2θgR=\dfrac{u^2sin2\theta}{g}

Or can I just state it then sub values in?

It's been a while since I did mechanics, so I'm not sure, but I'd always err towards proving too much. I don't think the exam is particularly time pressured (is it?), so it shouldn't be a major issue if you understand those formulae. Have you had a look if they're on the learning outcomes?
Original post by Slumpy
It's been a while since I did mechanics, so I'm not sure, but I'd always err towards proving too much. I don't think the exam is particularly time pressured (is it?), so it shouldn't be a major issue if you understand those formulae. Have you had a look if they're on the learning outcomes?

They are in the learning outcomes and seemed to be in the marking scheme of one question I checked.
I'll check more
Reply 1182
They are in the learning outcomes and seemed to be in the marking scheme of one question I checked.
I'll check more

If they're in the learning outcomes, I'd have no hesitation about using them. I just tended to not bother learning formulae because deriving stuff saved effort in terms of learning.
The fact the exam is so close is pretttty scary!, honestly focusing more on modern studies revision-wise, although I know I shouldn't be! :rolleyes: Just aiming for a C I guess.. if I pass I'll be over the moon, ha.
A matrix B is such that

[latex\]B^2=6B-9I

Where I is 2x2 identity matrix.

Find integers p and q such that

[latex\]B^3=pB++qI
Original post by Slumpy

The Course spec (Applied Mathematics Mechanics) expects you to be able to derive your quoted formulae from first principles (i.e. calculus methods):
I would start with (to find total time of flight - your t formula) from:

y¨=g\ddot {y} = -g stating quite clearly that here g is constant of gravitation.

..you will end up with Newton's Laws of motion:
Unparseable latex formula:

y=usin(\theta )t -\fraction{1/2}gt^2

then obviously solve for y=0y=0 to get required t- formula!

Your range formula (R) is derived using:

x¨=0\ddot {x} = 0 clearly no air friction assumption.

this will give x=ucos(θ)tx=ucos(\theta )t, substitute for 't' from earlier
giving you your range R=x(t)R= x(t)

YES you will be expected to derive these as stated.
(edited 10 years ago)
A matrix B is such that

[latex\]B^2=6B-9I

Where I is 2x2 identity matrix.

Find integers p and q such that

[latex\]B^3=pB+qI

Easy, but not obvious, just back substitute for [latex\]B^2=6B-9I such that;

[latex\]B^3=B^2.B=6B^2-9IB= 6(6B-9I)-9B etc!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tomctutor
The Course spec (Applied Mathematics Mechanics) expects you to be able to derive your quoted formulae from first principles (i.e. calculus methods):
I would start with (to find total time of flight - your t formula) from:

y¨=g\ddot {y} = -g stating quite clearly that here g is constant of gravitation.

..you will end up with Newton's Laws of motion:
Unparseable latex formula:

y=usin(\theta )t -\fraction{1/2}gt^2

then obviously solve for y=0y=0 to get required t- formula!

Your range formula (R) is derived using:

x¨=0\ddot {x} = 0 clearly no air friction assumption.

this will give x=ucos(θ)tx=ucos(\theta )t, substitute for 't' from earlier
giving you your range R=x(t)R= x(t)

YES you will be expected to derive these as stated.

Ah I didn't know you done applied mechanics.
Do you have videos on that website you suggested for applied mechanics (not just the basics of AH Physics)?
Easy, but not obvious, just back substitute for [latex\]B^2=6B-9I
such that;

[latex\]B^3=B^2.B=6B^2-9IB= 6(6B-9I)-9B etc!

Do you have any resources for learning how to do the work done with kinetic and potential energy problems?
I don't understand them and I'm self-teaching, can't find any videos to make sense of it.
Mathematical deitys of TSR, what the hell is a rotation matrix? I'm posting a question and my working so far, can anyone give me a nudge in the right direction?
It's part two onwords of the first question
Original post by Shengis14
Mathematical deitys of TSR, what the hell is a rotation matrix? I'm posting a question and my working so far, can anyone give me a nudge in the right direction?

Part (i) Reqd. ts det(TαT_\alpha)=1
Part(ii)
You will find that TαTβ=Tα+βT_\alpha T_\beta = T_{\alpha + \beta}
which us mathematicians like to call a linear transform!
Using the trig identities sin(A+B)sin(A)cos(B)+cos(A)sin(B)sin(A+B)\equiv sin(A)cos(B)+cos(A)sin(B)
and cos(A+B)cos(A)cos(B)sin(A)sin(B)cos(A+B)\equiv cos(A)cos(B)-sin(A)sin(B)

So TαT_\alpha represents a rotation transform of unit vector in 2D space!

Part (iii) TαTβTc=Tα+β+cT_\alpha T_\beta T_c= T_{\alpha + \beta +c}

A rotation matrix is a matrix that...well, rotates something. Suppose we have a 2 dimensional vector (xy)\begin{pmatrix} x \\ y \end{pmatrix}. And I want to rotate it 90 degrees counter-clockwise. I just multiply x,y by my rotation matrix (cosθsinθsinθcosθ)\begin{pmatrix} \cos \theta & -\sin \theta \\ \sin \theta & \cos \theta \end{pmatrix}, with 90 degrees subbed in. That outputs (0110)\begin{pmatrix} 0 & -1\\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix}, so I multiply (x,y) by this, and the new co-ordinate that pops out is the new position in space that is 90 degrees counter-clockwise to x,y.

Do you recognise any trigonometric identities in your matrix there? :wink:

Part(ii)
Using the trig identities sin(A+B)sin(A)cos(B)+cos(A)sin(B)sin(A+B)\equiv sin(A)cos(B)+cos(A)sin(B)

Boo. Too much mollycoddling. You've practically given him the answer. :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Part(ii)

Det TαT_\alpha = -1 actually, and I've got TαβT_{\alpha - \beta}

For the answer is it enough to say that TαTβ=TαβT_\alpha T_\beta = T_{\alpha - \beta} ??
(edited 10 years ago)
Det TαT_\alpha = -1 actually, and I've got TαβT_{\alpha - \beta}

For the answer is it enough to say that TαTβ=TαβT_\alpha T_\beta = T_{\alpha - \beta} ??

I'm definitely getting Tα+βT_{\alpha + \beta}, double check your trig identities. I suspect you've made a mistake with the sine double angle.
I've gone over it again and so has wolfram alpha, I still get TαβT_{\alpha - \beta} , I'll upload a photo of my working so you can point out my error
I've gone over it again and so has wolfram alpha, I still get TαβT_{\alpha - \beta} , I'll upload a photo of my working so you can point out my error

No, you're right. I got my "plus-minus" = "minus-plus" in the wrong formula, silly me. :tongue:
Do you have any resources for learning how to do the work done with kinetic and potential energy problems?
I don't understand them and I'm self-teaching, can't find any videos to make sense of it.

A body in in central orbit (a planet, pendulum) or a body in free fall (projectile) can only have constant total energy (mechanical energy here) so ignore EM fields for instance.
Etot=Ep+EkE_{tot} = E_p + E_k

if we consider an object launched vertically upwards say
Ep=mghE_p = mgh and Ek=12mv2E_k = \frac{1}{2} mv^2

so Etot=mgy+12my˙2=const.E_{tot} = mgy + \frac{1}{2} m\dot {y}^2= const.

we have a differential eqn. w.r.t time tt with initial conditions, y(t):y(0)=0,y(T/2)=hy(t): y(0) = 0, y(T/2)=h say and y˙(0)=u,y˙(T/2)=0\dot y(0) = u, \dot y(T/2)=0 where TT is total time of flight!

particular solutions to this first ODE are suggested by
y(t)=ut12gt2,y˙(t)=ugty(t) = ut - \frac{1}{2}gt^2, \dot y(t)= u - gt which are simply Newtons eqn's of motion (aka SUVAT)
further however we also have
h=u22gh=\frac{u^2}{2g} and also for Time of flight T
T=2ugT=\frac{2u}{g}

the point is that the sum of the potential + kinetic must be constant for conservative system!
(edited 10 years ago)

Woah, I'm completely lost there... Whats T_b supposed to be? I feel like I've missed a massive part of the course...

Edit: Wait... if Ta=(cosasinasinacosa) T_a = \begin{pmatrix} \cos a & \sin a \\ \sin a & -\cos a \end{pmatrix} would Tb=(cosbsinbsinbcosb) T_b = \begin{pmatrix} \cos b & \sin b \\ \sin b & -\cos b \end{pmatrix} ?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TheFOMaster
Woah, I'm completely lost there... Whats T_b supposed to be? I feel like I've missed a massive part of the course...

Edit: Wait... if Ta=(cosasinasinacosa) T_a = \begin{pmatrix} \cos a & \sin a \\ \sin a & -\cos a \end{pmatrix} would Tb=(cosbsinbsinbcosb) T_b = \begin{pmatrix} \cos b & \sin b \\ \sin b & -\cos b \end{pmatrix} ?

Yes, that's what the questions getting at

Original post by Hype en Ecosse
No, you're right. I got my "plus-minus" = "minus-plus" in the wrong formula, silly me. :tongue:

Alright then, but the overall point is I can say that TαTβT_\alpha T_\beta is a rotation matrix because TαβT_{\alpha - \beta} takes the same form as (cosθsinθsinθcosθ) \begin{pmatrix} \cos \theta & -\sin \theta \\ \sin \theta & \cos \theta \end{pmatrix} ??
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TheFOMaster

TβT_\beta is simply the rotation matrix you used with β\beta substituted for θ\theta,
TT is meant to mean transformation matrix, which in general could be an enlargement, rotation (as here) or a translation, skew or a mixture of all of these. We tend to brake a complicated transform into simple matrix representations which are easier to work with! You don't need to know linear transform theory just what a matrix does when it multiplies vector in 2D.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending