The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Maths 2012-2013 : Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by TheFOMaster
Look whos came out of his rock and entered the forum! Ready to replicate your prelim performance? :wink:

I do feel a bit like a hermit I must say:tongue: nope, not quite yet, hopefully by Wednesday I'll be able to better it though:wink: I'm more looking forward to doing the higher paper when I'm out!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah?

When you sub in x = +/- infinity to the divided asymptote your finding out what direction the line is approaching the asymptote at? Or are you asking something else?

Take y=1+1x y = 1 + \frac {1}{x} when you divide the fraction by the highest power of x

y=1+1x1 y = 1 + \frac {\frac {1}{x}}{1} then you sub in x = + infinty
y=1++1 y = 1 + \frac {+}{1} (the sign shows if the full top line is positive or negative) so y approaches 1 from above and subbing in x = - infinty:
y=1+1 y = 1 + \frac {-}{1} again, showing that y approaches 1 from below so the graph is as shown on wolfram alpha

Ah! I've always taken those infinity substitutions to be zero's, I understand now :rolleyes:
Original post by Reece:)
And so will you!! I would say the same but I know that won't happen.. I have no motivation this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unconditional-ytis :wink:
The illness everyone gets when they get an easy unconditional - I got it too!
Reply 1383
Original post by I am Ace

Yes exactly! I've already accepted I'm failing physics and chemistry I have no clue about, lets hope my guessing is good!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do feel a bit like a hermit I must say:tongue: nope, not quite yet, hopefully by Wednesday I'll be able to better it though:wink: I'm more looking forward to doing the higher paper when I'm out!
Posted from TSR Mobile

I really want to do the Higher Paper :tongue: I don't know if I will though, I still make the mistake of differentiating instead of integrating every now and again... I'd embarrass myself :tongue:

Original post by I am Ace

I have English in 36 hours and I do not know a single text :smile: Whoops :tongue:
Reply 1385
I really want to do the Higher Paper :tongue: I don't know if I will though, I still make the mistake of differentiating instead of integrating every now and again... I'd embarrass myself :tongue:

Bring the paper home then and give it ago:tongue: someone will put a marking scheme up so you can check your answers first :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bring the paper home then and give it ago:tongue: someone will put a marking scheme up so you can check your answers first :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I told someone to take her paper out and lemme see it when we're going home, so I'll get a little look at least :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please send me the papers so I can do them too :wink:
Reply 1388
I told someone to take her paper out and lemme see it when we're going home, so I'll get a little look at least :smile:

I've told 6 people I want a copy of the paper! So I may end up with a few copies hahaha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've told 6 people I want a copy of the paper! So I may end up with a few copies hahaha!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe send one my way? I'm sure I'll find a copy somewhere!

Could anyone look at Question 10 on the 2002 paper and explain to me what to do with it?

For part (a) I get that S(1) = n(n+1)2 \frac {n(n+1)}{2}
for (b): (1-x) S(x) = S(x) - x S(x) but after that I just blank and don't see it.
for (c): same thing, just don't see it
(edited 10 years ago)
And so will you!! I would say the same but I know that won't happen.. I have no motivation this year!

Yeah I just want to prove my teacher wrong haha. Predicted me an A which got changed to an N/A, whoops. Nah, me neither :/ pretty much the same with a lot of sixth years I guess!

Could anyone look at Question 10 on the 2002 paper and explain to me what to do with it?

for (b): (1-x) S(x) = S(x) - x S(x) but after that I just blank and don't see it.

I don't want to lead you through part c until you've got b:

What happens if you divide the equation you've got above by (1 - x)?

For (b), multiply (1+2x+3x2+...+nxn-1) by (1-x) and take it from thee
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I don't want to lead you through part c until you've got b:

What happens if you divide the equation you've got above by (1 - x)?

Sn(x)=Sn(x)xSn(x)1x S_n (x) = \frac {S_n (x) - xS_n (x)}{1 - x} ??

Or do you mean the equation in part (a)? In which case I'm not seeing the significance either...
Original post by Asklepios

He's already done that, hence how he saw that (1 - x)Sx = Sx - xSx. :tongue:

Edit: Ignore me, I assumed he took the same route as me to finding it. Just noticed that you can much more easily do it by treating Sx as a term and expanding the bracket. :biggrin:

Sn(x)=Sn(x)xSn(x)1x S_n (x) = \frac {S_n (x) - xS_n (x)}{1 - x} ??

Or do you mean the equation in part (a)? In which case I'm not seeing the significance either...

Exactly!

Now what happens if you sub in the sums...?
(edited 10 years ago)

Oh! I get it! Thanks :smile: I freaking hate series, its the only part of the course thats actually causing me bother now tbh!

So for part c: thats gonna just be a Sum to infinity right?
He's already done that, hence how he saw that (1 - x)Sx = Sx - xSx. :tongue:

Edit: Ignore me, I assumed he took the same route as me to finding it. Just noticed that you can much more easily do it by treating Sx as a term and expanding the bracket. :biggrin:

Exactly!

Now what happens if you sub in the sums...?

I got it thanks :smile: I can never remember to think about the Sums in that form, even if it's given in the question!

I'm gonna try part C again gimme a sec :smile:
Original post by hollieeilloh
Yeah I just want to prove my teacher wrong haha. Predicted me an A which got changed to an N/A, whoops. Nah, me neither :/ pretty much the same with a lot of sixth years I guess!

Posted from TSR Mobile

[QUOTE=posterpreviouslyknownascoss[excludedFace]biggrin[/excludedFace];42688169]Please send me the papers so I can do them too :wink:

I basically just posted this in the chemistry thread, but can anybody who is capable, please help out on the higher thread (even if it's just once), they need our help as much as we need UKD and Hype and each other's help, so even if it's just popping in once or twice between now and the exam to see if anyone needs a hand, it'll do everyone a favour - and make you feel awesome :cool:

I'm aware I quoted people who already do, but I just quoted anyone on this thread who I knew could give it a shot - excluding Hype 'cause HE'S MINE FOR MY CHEMISTRY, jk (ish)
Ace
Oh! I get it! Thanks :smile: I freaking hate series, its the only part of the course thats actually causing me bother now tbh!

So for part c: thats gonna just be a Sum to infinity right?

part c is sum to infinity yes
part c is sum to infinity yes

x

Got it! Thanks :smile: If anything like that comes up on Wednesday... Definitely the part of the course I'm weakest with :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending