The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Maths 2012-2013 : Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Just noticed this (i.e. 4:05 am. STILL AWAKE)

I'll give it a try...

Posted from TSR Mobile
As I will most likely be waking up late, I'm posting my "last minute tips and reminders" early this year (which is nearly a copy of last year's anyway). Read through this list and pick out things that bothers you or you think it's especially important for you to know.

Spoiler

Here are some things that very rarely/never comes up, but if you want to cover all the bases then you should check you know them especially if you are aiming for an A.

Spoiler

There are many more tips and tricks but you should know them all already right? :tongue:

And again good luck everyone!
(edited 10 years ago)
I tried my best to go to sleep. I really did. But it is 4:45am and I still haven't fallen asleep. So I've given up.

Sure as hell hope this doesn't affect my performance in the exam...

Posted from TSR Mobile
You'd all be wise to take ukd's super sick tips. Good luck you guys! I hope to see yous rock this exam - god knows you've all worked hard for this. Serendipity favours the prepared mind. :biggrin:
Original post by Razzamoly
I tried my best to go to sleep. I really did. But it is 4:45am and I still haven't fallen asleep. So I've given up.

Sure as hell hope this doesn't affect my performance in the exam...

Posted from TSR Mobile

strongly advise against this

make sure you're caffeined up, BIG time.
I've tried so hard, but I couldn't sleep at all. No matter how long I waited for it, no matter how I tried, it didn't happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Remember the +C. A kitten becomes a stray every time you forget. If you forget it in a differential equation, the kitten dies because it is particularly important in this setting.

huehuehue

oh ukd
GOOD MORNIN' CAMPERS.
T minus a few hours. Feeling surprisingly calm, hope there's (at least) a few enjoyable questions.
Original post by hollieeilloh
GOOD MORNIN' CAMPERS.
T minus a few hours. Feeling surprisingly calm, hope there's (at least) a few enjoyable questions.

Struggled to get to sleep but surprisingly I'm really awake and barely nervous at all.

10 Mark 2nd Order Differential Equation :crossedf:
I'm real nervous. I honestly think my grade will be a no award.
Original post by Zepploydath
Struggled to get to sleep but surprisingly I'm really awake and barely nervous at all.

10 Mark 2nd Order Differential Equation :crossedf:

That would be amaaaazing. I feel slightly sick but that's normal with me pre exams. Now what do I want for breakfast..? Haha.
I'm real nervous. I honestly think my grade will be a no award.

No it won't! Nervous = normal. There will be easy questions (Gaussian etc) as well as difficult ones, that's what I'm thinking anyway.
I really hope I can get just 58% or so and scrape a B. I can do most stuff in the course but if you just can one thing wrong early on then you usually need to abandon an entire question.

I just hope that there are a lot of "gift marks" where it's an easier partial fractions/2ODE/gaussian/binomial theorem. Gah, must revise vectors.
You know what I hate? Integration by substitution. I don't know why, I just cannot wrap my head round it unless it's a really basic question...

I have one here: integral of x3(1+x2)4,u=1+x2\frac{x^3}{(1+x^2)^4}, u = 1 + x^2

So far, I've got dudx=2x\frac{du}{dx} = 2x and dxdu=12x\frac{dx}{du} = \frac{1}{2x}. Having trouble subbing it because of that x3x^3. Help?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Hoobacious
I really hope I can get just 58% or so and scrape a B. I can do most stuff in the course but if you just can one thing wrong early on then you usually need to abandon an entire question.

I just hope that there are a lot of "gift marks" where it's an easier partial fractions/2ODE/gaussian/binomial theorem. Gah, must revise vectors.

Vectors are horrible and I have a feeling it's going to be one of the 4 big questions at the end worth 9/10/11 marks. A lot of it's okay and I can do the angles between planes, lines and planes and lines. But intersection of two planes is impossible. :/
You know what I hate? Integration by substitution. I don't know why, I just cannot wrap my head round it unless it's a really basic question...

I have one here: integral of x3(1+x2)4,u=1+x2\frac{x^3}{(1+x^2)^4}, u = 1 + x^2

So far, I've got dudx=2x\frac{du}{dx} = 2x and dxdu=12x\frac{dx}{du} = \frac{1}{2x}. Having trouble subbing it because of that x3x^3. Help?

Just try and take your time and work out what you get rid of/add.

dx is replaced by du/2x
then because x^3 is still there you have to find an expression for x^3 (hint: rearrange the substitution given)
Just try and take your time and work out what you get rid of/add.

dx is replaced by du/2x
then because x^3 is still there you have to find an expression for x^3 (hint: rearrange the substitution given)

Nah, still not getting it.
Vectors are horrible and I have a feeling it's going to be one of the 4 big questions at the end worth 9/10/11 marks. A lot of it's okay and I can do the angles between planes, lines and planes and lines. But intersection of two planes is impossible. :/

It's not that vectors are mathematically taxing to figure out (they're just basic multiplication/addition), it's just that there are so many rules for different things intermingling. When you have points, planes, angles and lines all in your head it's very easy to just jumble it up.

I really hope you're wrong about a big vectors question! As for a big ol' easy partial fractions, followed by a 2ODE and then some gaussian..
Original post by Hoobacious
It's not that vectors are mathematically taxing to figure out (they're just basic multiplication/addition), it's just that there are so many rules for different things intermingling. When you have points, planes, angles and lines all in your head it's very easy to just jumble it up.

I really hope you're wrong about a big vectors question! As for a big ol' easy partial fractions, followed by a 2ODE and then some gaussian..

Yeah there's far too much crossover knowledge between the different parts of the topic. I agree with those questions you're hoping for!

I hope any integration we have to do isn't to challenging - that's another topic where there's a lot of different methods to remember and particularly when integrating algebraic fractions, the method you need to use isn't always obvious.

Intersection between two planes is Gaussian elimination, I believe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending