The Student Room Group

The Jubilee, The Brainwashing, The Monarchy - Time to Wake up

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ForKicks
Erm, willingness for potentially violent situations? Pretty big reason right there. :tongue: I am against the EDL but won't go to a demonstration against them for fear of violence. Not sure the jubilee can be compared to an EDL rally, haha.

Loving your misplaced confidence btw :wink:

Exactly, you've proved my point. So we can't just look at attendance at rallies and events to judge the support for one side or the other. Like you've just said there is a chance of violence which flairs up occassionally (although there is usually a heavy police presence) and the majority of people probably those who sympathise with the EDL and those who oppose them stay away.
http://projectbritain.com/royal/role.htm

It is as basic as possible so that you can understand it :wink: There is this great tool called google that you can use to find these sites too!

basically she goes to events and signs papers. wow.
When a republic is declared, I'd like to see most members of the Royal Family immediately rounded up and arrested, then remanded into custody until they can go before a people's court charged with crimes against the state due to the fact that their affairs are exempt from so much scrutiny even from Parliament. We need a full and proper enquiry. If it turns out they've done nothing wrong, they should of course be released and allowed to live a normal life.
Reply 383
Original post by oldham_fran

And please don't say to me "why should she get such a privelaged life based on her birth." Yes, the Queen may be wealthy and live in a miriad of beautiful palaces but it's hardly an idyllic lifestyle. How many of you would expect your 86 year old grandmother to stand on a boat in the freezing cold rain all day? Her entire life is based on protocol and on her duty to her country and as such, we should respect the work that senior Royal Family members put in and the benefit that we get from it.

I'm anti- monarchy, so I don't agree with anything you're saying, but to be honest, I feel sorry for the Queen. Everyone is saying she's amazing for standing up all day and not be able to be herself, but think about how she feels about all this! As you said, she's 86! And she's expected to act all regal all day- what if she doesn't want to? She has had no choice in the matter- she has been born into it. It's such a shame the monarchy are so much higher than the rest of our society, and are expected to do all these stupid things no one else would have to do.
Not that they do much...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by MrHappy_J
basically she goes to events and signs papers. wow.

Despite the fact that you're trying to simplify the role of the Queen to prove a point, I don't think that even you would find it particularly easy doing the Queen's job.
It's not just signing papers - it's processing every single law that gets passed in our country which won't go through without the Queen's say so. She may not have a direct input in how the laws themselves are made, but every single on of them has to be read and signed off by the Queen.
And it's not just going to events - it's maintaining diplomatic relations, it's performing ceremonial duties, it's representing our country on the international stage. How annoyed would you be if someone who was representing the United Kingdom met Barack Obama looking like a bag of crap and having absolutely no clue what goes on in our country? How offended would you be if the head of our state refused to acknowledge fallen soldiers by not visiting the Cenotaph once a year?
Everything the Queen does has some sort of significance and is heavily influenced by protocol and by duty. And all the while she's under scrutiny by people like you who belittle her role by saying she doesn't do anything or who envy the fact that she was born into a privelaged position. Yes, she may be wealthy but the sense of responsibility that comes with her position is enormous, and something that the average person will never have to deal with.
Reply 385
Do you republicans not know the basic functions of a head of state or are you being purposely stupid?

"OMGZ te Queen drives in bling cars all day and eatz swan. She az sum1 make er bed and cook for er. Why can't she liv in a council 'ouse like every1 else...init"

Is that the response you are looking for?

You did not answer the original question. So tell me, what are the "basic functions of a head of state", or are you just going to call some people stupid again, and avoid the question?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Despite the fact that you're trying to simplify the role of the Queen to prove a point, I don't think that even you would find it particularly easy doing the Queen's job.
It's not just signing papers - it's processing every single law that gets passed in our country which won't go through without the Queen's say so. She may not have a direct input in how the laws themselves are made, but every single on of them has to be read and signed off by the Queen.
And it's not just going to events - it's maintaining diplomatic relations, it's performing ceremonial duties, it's representing our country on the international stage. How annoyed would you be if someone who was representing the United Kingdom met Barack Obama looking like a bag of crap and having absolutely no clue what goes on in our country? How offended would you be if the head of our state refused to acknowledge fallen soldiers by not visiting the Cenotaph once a year?
Everything the Queen does has some sort of significance and is heavily influenced by protocol and by duty. And all the while she's under scrutiny by people like you who belittle her role by saying she doesn't do anything or who envy the fact that she was born into a privelaged position. Yes, she may be wealthy but the sense of responsibility that comes with her position is enormous, and something that the average person will never have to deal with.

If she doesn't like it she can always abdicate, she isn't being forced into anything, she could leave tomorrow if she wanted.

Every single bill through Parliament must be read in front of the Queen before it recieves Royal Assent? What are you on about lol. You do realise most bills are hundreds of pages long? Or do you mean they read the title to her and she agrees? Thirsty work.
Original post by 122025278
If she doesn't like it she can always abdicate, she isn't being forced into anything, she could leave tomorrow if she wanted.

Every single bill through Parliament must be read in front of the Queen before it recieves Royal Assent? What are you on about lol. You do realise most bills are hundreds of pages long? Or do you mean they read the title to her and she agrees? Thirsty work.

How am I supposed to know in which form the information she recieves from Parliament is in? She could be getting an abridged version for all we know. Doesn't change the fact that a law cannot be made in this country without the monarchs approval.

But as you say, she isn't being forced into it. Does that not make it more commendable that she would voluntarily continue living her life under the same levels of expectancy, under the same amount of responsibility and doing a job that a lot of us would shy away from?
How am I supposed to know in which form the information she recieves from Parliament is in? She could be getting an abridged version for all we know. Doesn't change the fact that a law cannot be made in this country without the monarchs approval.

But as you say, she isn't being forced into it. Does that not make it more commendable that she would voluntarily continue living her life under the same levels of expectancy, under the same amount of responsibility and doing a job that a lot of us would shy away from?

I never contested the fact that a law cannot be made without her approval, so why are you telling me that, I don't get it... It's like me saying to you it yes she may have to read through all of the laws but that doesn't change the fact that the earth still sits on its axis at 45 degrees. Where's the link? lol. No monarch has vetoed a bill in over 300 years. I think it's actually quite a scary thing that they haven't and in reality can't.

I don't accept your premise. I don't know if a lot of us would shy away from it. I would imagine there would be millions who would prefer it.
Despite the fact that you're trying to simplify the role of the Queen to prove a point, I don't think that even you would find it particularly easy doing the Queen's job.It's not just signing papers - it's processing every single law that gets passed in our country which won't go through without the Queen's say so. She may not have a direct input in how the laws themselves are made, but every single on of them has to be read and signed off by the Queen.

I don't want her job thanks very much.

Ok, so there are lots to sign. Her wrist gets a bit tired, big deal.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Dalek1099
Couldn't have said it better and someone on this thread,who said that the queen is a direct descendant to William the Conqueror,obviously doesn't realise that this is bad because usually conquering=evil,greed and also highlights how the British monarch isn't entirely British and how our monarchy is really other countries.

Agreed! People say that without the monarchy we would need a president to be head of state, but tbh the prime minister's these days are becoming more presidential.
The uk government is more like an elective dictatorship, even with the so called monarchy. The PM comes in implements whatever nonsense they want, then couple years later another PM comes in and reverses what the previous PM has done then implement their own nonsense. So either way we might as well have a President, because the Queen's power is severely limited thus serves no purpose.
Reply 392
Original post by Time Tourist
No one is stopping you from handing in your passport and moving to the great nation and beacon of enlightened government - Russia. Which your flag claims you are from.

Typical royal vagina supporter, my flag isn't Russia you silly silly peasant.
Reply 393
It's called being British you ****wit :wink:

You haven't got a clue, dolt.
Original post by Miza
Typical royal vagina supporter, my flag isn't Russia you silly silly peasant.

I would have taken the hammer and sickle to imply you have solidarity with peasants like me?

Ok, why don't you get a time machine and go back to the USSR, if you want to be pedantic about the flag...
Original post by ellen_l
Anyone can be a patron for numerous charities. Anyone can be a distinguished war hero. How is "Christ you're pathetic" arguing against "old slut" (which, I agree, is a crap point in the first place but that's besides the point)? "Diana was hardly an angel"? Surely this just makes the both her, and Charles an embarrassment, not to mention Prince Harry dressing as a Nazi- who in their right mind would think that an appropriate costume, even for just a fancy dress party?

How can anyone be a distinguished war hero or a patron for numerous charities? Do you even read what you type? Are you a war hero? Are you patron for numerous charities? No? Thought not.
How is the fact that one of the original points were crap beside the point? It's the entire basis for the original argument.
And lastly anyone who doesn't have their head stuck up their arse. It's really not that big of a deal, considering he dressed as an officer in the Afrika Korps, which didn't commit any war crimes what so ever.
Reply 396
Original post by Time Tourist
I would have taken the hammer and sickle to imply you have solidarity with peasants like me?

Ok, why don't you get a time machine and go back to the USSR, if you want to be pedantic about the flag...

My flag on this forum has nothing to do with this thread, I would have challenged you to an intellectual duel battle, but I have noticed you have no weapon my friend.
Reply 397
Just shush and enjoy the concert.
Original post by pol pot noodles
How can anyone be a distinguished war hero or a patron for numerous charities? Do you even read what you type? Are you a war hero? Are you patron for numerous charities? No? Thought not.
How is the fact that one of the original points were crap beside the point? It's the entire basis for the original argument.
And lastly anyone who doesn't have their head stuck up their arse. It's really not that big of a deal, considering he dressed as an officer in the Afrika Korps, which didn't commit any war crimes what so ever.

Our former King, the Queen's uncle, fratenised and sympathised with Nazis. Churchill had to warn him that he was in danger of being arrested if he didn't keep a low profile.

No dressing up in a costume, real life story! Our King!
Original post by Miza
I would have challenged you to an intellectual duel battle, but I have noticed you have no weapon my friend.

This is awesome!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending