The Student Room Group

What degree should i do at university?

I really enjoy A-level Maths and Further Maths and like the problem solving style of all the modules EXCEPT the mechanics modules which i really despise.

Initially, i thought a Maths degree is the way forward, however, my maths teacher told me that university maths is completely different to a-level maths. After doing some research, i know that a pure mathematics degree at university is definitely not for me.

I'm currently thinking of doing something like applied maths, although i don't know if there are any good unis which offer degrees in applied maths.

If i like a-level maths and further maths, what degree do you recommend i go for?
A Maths Degree- you're most likely to get in too.
Join lots of societies so you're not doing maths all the time.
Economics?
Econometrics?
Reply 4
If you like problem solving, definitely consider engineering.
Reply 5
Mechanics is applied maths. So if you despise that and you know that pure maths isn't for you then maybe you should consider either statistics, computer science or maths and computer science.

What other A levels are you taking?
Reply 6
Original post by rr0
Mechanics is applied maths. So if you despise that and you know that pure maths isn't for you then maybe you should consider either statistics, computer science or maths and computer science.

What other A levels are you taking?

Physics, Economics and Chemistry. Yeah i don't think i should've said applied maths. What i mean is, you know how in A-level Maths you work towards a solution instead of always proving things? I really like the "style" of A-level maths and further maths if you get what i mean and i guess i also enjoy doing stats (but hate mechanics)
Reply 7
Original post by subjectman10
A Maths Degree- you're most likely to get in too.
Join lots of societies so you're not doing maths all the time.

Even thought i don't like proofs, theorems and uni-style pure mathematics?
Original post by Ruvermillion
Even thought i don't like proofs, theorems and uni-style pure mathematics?

Well, just a suggestion- can I ask what made you do maths and further maths if you don't like the proofs and ****?

How about economics or engineering?
Reply 9
Original post by subjectman10
Well, just a suggestion- can I ask what made you do maths and further maths if you don't like the proofs and ****?

How about economics or engineering?

I was good at maths GCSE and as a child was just good at maths in general. As far as i can tell, maths at A-level is very computational.

Does Economics and Engineering have lots of this "computational maths"?
Original post by Ruvermillion
I really enjoy A-level Maths and Further Maths and like the problem solving style of all the modules EXCEPT the mechanics modules which i really despise.

Initially, i thought a Maths degree is the way forward, however, my maths teacher told me that university maths is completely different to a-level maths. After doing some research, i know that a pure mathematics degree at university is definitely not for me.

I'm currently thinking of doing something like applied maths, although i don't know if there are any good unis which offer degrees in applied maths.

If i like a-level maths and further maths, what degree do you recommend i go for?

I wouldnt rule out pure maths completely. Although it is true that pure maths at university is very dfferent from A Level but from experience, its not so bad if you have good lecturers teaching you and someone to put you through when you're stuck, etc-I still favour places like oxford and cambridge for maths because you get that one to one tutorial and there's always someone to put you through.
Reply 11
can anyone else offer me any more advice?
Reply 12
Seconding the suggestion to look at pure maths more carefully. What kind of research did you do? I thought I wouldn't like it either, but it's different when you're being taught it well and you can actually understand the concepts.
Reply 13
Maths and Economics?
Maths and stats ?
MORSE?
Economics. ?

Quick Reply

Latest