The Student Room Group

Degree apprenticeships & University's

Hello, I've got another year before I finish college. I have been looking into universities but recently my mind has been stuck on getting an apprenticeship.

My grades aren't the highest but I do have a minimum of a pass. I've been looking at software engineering apprenticeships and university courses, however my mind is stuck on getting into an apprenticeship.

Is it hard to get into an apprenticeship? Should I get a degree apprenticeship or a normal apprenticeship that offers a level 4 to 5 apprenticeship. Is a degree apprenticeship worth it if I get into a normal apprenticeship and gain lots of experience. It is even worth for me to try applying for apprenticeships even if I don't have the grades? (DO HAVE DECENT EXPERIENCE).

Next year around March/June is the date where we will most likely start applying for universities and other courses. Should I apply for universities and apprenticeships, so if I get an apprenticeship I can cancel my uni entry or vise versa? Should I just apply for a university degree instead?

I know there is alot if questions here but just seeking help. Thanks for reading it this far :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Is it hard to get into an apprenticeship?
Yes but it's like getting a job. For some people, all it takes is going through one application process and they get an offer straight up. For others, its a case of applying to 100s just for 1 offer

Should I get a degree apprenticeship or a normal apprenticeship that offers a level 4 to 5 apprenticeship?
Personally, I'd go for degree level to maximise the qualification and amount of experience. Having a degree might not be completely necessary but it means you can check that box if you apply to jobs that say "degree required". It just depends on how much you want a certain qualification and how confident you are that you can sell yourself with that qualification

Is a degree apprenticeship worth it if I get into a normal apprenticeship and gain lots of experience?
Yes if you want a degree

It is even worth for me to try applying for apprenticeships even if I don't have the grades?
There's no point rejecting your own application. That's not your job. Apply and see what happens

Should I apply for universities and apprenticeships, so if I get an apprenticeship I can cancel my uni entry or vise versa?
That's what I and many other apprentices I know did. It's good to have a back up

Should I just apply for a university degree instead?
You can very much apply for both
Original post by O_O.
Is it hard to get into an apprenticeship?
Yes but it's like getting a job. For some people, all it takes is going through one application process and they get an offer straight up. For others, its a case of applying to 100s just for 1 offer

Should I get a degree apprenticeship or a normal apprenticeship that offers a level 4 to 5 apprenticeship?
Personally, I'd go for degree level to maximise the qualification and amount of experience. Having a degree might not be completely necessary but it means you can check that box if you apply to jobs that say "degree required". It just depends on how much you want a certain qualification and how confident you are that you can sell yourself with that qualification

Is a degree apprenticeship worth it if I get into a normal apprenticeship and gain lots of experience?
Yes if you want a degree

It is even worth for me to try applying for apprenticeships even if I don't have the grades?
There's no point rejecting your own application. That's not your job. Apply and see what happens

Should I apply for universities and apprenticeships, so if I get an apprenticeship I can cancel my uni entry or vise versa?
That's what I and many other apprentices I know did. It's good to have a back up

Should I just apply for a university degree instead?
You can very much apply for both

Thank you so much for your response. This is quite beneficial to me, and I wish you a wonderful day.
Reply 3
good luck on your journey I am taking the same path
Original post by H3nry_T
good luck on your journey I am taking the same path

Thank you, and likewise. 🤝🏽
Reply 5
Original post by umzydumzy01
Hello, I've got another year before I finish college. I have been looking into universities but recently my mind has been stuck on getting an apprenticeship.

My grades aren't the highest but I do have a minimum of a pass. I've been looking at software engineering apprenticeships and university courses, however my mind is stuck on getting into an apprenticeship.

Is it hard to get into an apprenticeship? Should I get a degree apprenticeship or a normal apprenticeship that offers a level 4 to 5 apprenticeship. Is a degree apprenticeship worth it if I get into a normal apprenticeship and gain lots of experience. It is even worth for me to try applying for apprenticeships even if I don't have the grades? (DO HAVE DECENT EXPERIENCE).

Next year around March/June is the date where we will most likely start applying for universities and other courses. Should I apply for universities and apprenticeships, so if I get an apprenticeship I can cancel my uni entry or vise versa? Should I just apply for a university degree instead?

I know there is alot if questions here but just seeking help. Thanks for reading it this far :smile:

Level 6 Degree apprenticeships are definitely competitive, I'd love to know how you're getting on after 9 months.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending