The Student Room Group

Sixth year

In sixth year should I do:

Advanced Higher Business/IT,Physics,Maths
OR
Advanced Higher Maths,Physics and Higher Administration,Computing?

I want to go to a very high ranked English University so which one is better?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
3AHs are necessary for oxford/Cambridge etc

This was posted from The Student Room's iP
Reply 2
Economics > Business

Maths and Physics are great. Economics would be a good addition if you like Business.

IT/Computing is bad, high ranked uni's will dislike it comparative to another science, essay subject or even Further Maths...

Further Maths is great!

Edit: Butthurt business people on a neg train, gg
(edited 11 years ago)
Some English universities only ask for 2 Advanced Higher's but you'll want three if you want broader options, because some do ask for 3.
Original post by Jorgeyy
Economics > Business

Maths and Physics are great. Economics would be a good addition if you like Business.

IT/Computing is bad, high ranked uni's will dislike it comparative to another science, essay subject or even Further Maths...

Further Maths is great!

You can't do Further Maths in Scotland. :smile: Only Maths.
Reply 5
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
You can't do Further Maths in Scotland. :smile: Only Maths.

Another science or essay subject then :biggrin:
Original post by Jorgeyy

I'd say take Chemistry. Chemistry is great, everyone should take it.

Edit: Oooh. Negged. I'm hurt by your lack of love for Chemistry. It was only a flippant remark. Although I do love Chemistry. What's not to love?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Jorgeyy

What about a language e.g french?
Reply 8
Original post by koolkate
What about a language e.g french?

Yeah, those are fantastic :smile:

Make sure you choose things you enjoy, also. You're more likely to put in effort then :colondollar:
Reply 9
Some English universities only ask for 2 Advanced Higher's but you'll want three if you want broader options, because some do ask for 3.

Well I am doing Higher Physics,english,maths,bussiness management and information system in 5th year, so what do you suggest i do in 6th year?
Reply 10
Original post by Jorgeyy
Yeah, those are fantastic :smile:

Make sure you choose things you enjoy, also. You're more likely to put in effort then :colondollar:

So I should do Advanced higher maths,physics and higher administration and french?
I want to go to a very high ranked English University so which one is better?

Let's be concrete: which university/universities, and to study what?
Reply 12
Original post by TheUnbeliever
Let's be concrete: which university/universities, and to study what?

well I want to go to any one from LSE,Imperial college,Cambridge,Oxford,St andrew(scottish)

want to study either maths and statistics or something like accounting,economics (in this field)
well I want to go to any one from LSE,Imperial college,Cambridge,Oxford,St andrew(scottish)

want to study either maths and statistics or something like accounting,economics (in this field)

Almost definitely need to do three then, they won't accept two at LSE.

Out of the one's you've got there, though, I almost definitely recommend you do AH Maths and AH Physics. AH Maths is essential for economics at most of those universities.

Your 5th year choices aren't particularly great either, not sure they'll accept information systems at those universities!
Reply 14
Original post by S119234

Out of the one's you've got there, though, I almost definitely recommend you do AH Maths and AH Physics. AH Maths is essential for economics at most of those universities.

Your 5th year choices aren't particularly great either, not sure they'll accept information systems at those universities!

So I should take a subject which is recognised by the uni even if it's not related to the course I want to do?
Well I am doing Higher Physics,english,maths,bussiness management and information system in 5th year, so what do you suggest i do in 6th year?

Physics, English and Maths at Advanced Higher, and then take another subject as well. God, I sound like such a subject snob, don't I? I apologise. I'm not saying they're stupid subjects, I'm really not. But those probably would be your best bets. Have you looked at prospectuses (prospecti? :wink: ) because often the universities will tell you which subjects are "preferred", which means you should take them if you want to maximise your chances. I think Cambridge actually published a list of subjects that would make them more likely to give you an offer. Of course, you could always drop the extra subject, 3 Advanced Higher's isn't exactly fun, since you'd have an investigation and a dissertation to do if you took those subjects. And don't expect Maths to be easier because it doesn't have coursework, because you have to keep working on it all the time in order to understand it. I sound so pessimistic, but it's perfectly do-able. I know people doing four advanced highers (one of them is doing an extra higher as well) and they haven't keeled over and died yet. :smile:

But yes, look at the uni prospectus for this year to get a better idea of what they're looking for. No point taking subjects if they won't help you.
Reply 16
The second option
Reply 17
Physics, English and Maths at Advanced Higher, and then take another subject as well. God, I sound like such a subject snob, don't I? I apologise. I'm not saying they're stupid subjects, I'm really not. But those probably would be your best bets. Have you looked at prospectuses (prospecti? :wink: ) because often the universities will tell you which subjects are "preferred", which means you should take them if you want to maximise your chances. I think Cambridge actually published a list of subjects that would make them more likely to give you an offer. Of course, you could always drop the extra subject, 3 Advanced Higher's isn't exactly fun, since you'd have an investigation and a dissertation to do if you took those subjects. And don't expect Maths to be easier because it doesn't have coursework, because you have to keep working on it all the time in order to understand it. I sound so pessimistic, but it's perfectly do-able. I know people doing four advanced highers (one of them is doing an extra higher as well) and they haven't keeled over and died yet. :smile:

But yes, look at the uni prospectus for this year to get a better idea of what they're looking for. No point taking subjects if they won't help you.

Advanced higher eng no chance! I would love to drop higher eng but it's imp anyways thanks for ur informative answer much appreciated :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Advanced higher eng no chance! I would love to drop higher eng but it's imp anyways thanks for ur informative answer much appreciated :smile:

Ah well then. Why don't you like English? If you've just started 5th year let me promise you, Higher English is a riot and a half. As long as you've got good texts.
Reply 19
Original post by S119234

Ok so i'll drop info system and will take either chem or bio :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending