The Student Room Group

How do you revise to help retain information?

I've been trying to revise for psychology but I cant get the information to stay in my head. Any tips?
Reply 1
Repetition deepens the impression. Rewrite the notes again and again, making them smaller as you go. You will find that you remember them. Try and rewrite them about 7/8 times.
Reply 2
Original post by The_Man123
Repetition deepens the impression. Rewrite the notes again and again, making them smaller as you go. You will find that you remember them. Try and rewrite them about 7/8 times.

Not helpful if my history notes alone span 100+ pages.
Reply 3
For psychology I drew stickmen to resemble the psychologists and then wrote key facts around them, since my issue was that I couldn't remember who did what study, but could remember the facts vaguely. They'd probably get really offended if they ever saw them, but it's how I remember what study relates to what psychologist, and it's helped me remember about 10 more than I already did. I'm on OCR so we have 72 studies.

My favourite is Pickel for obvious reasons :colone:
psych.jpg
Reply 4
Original post by CloBo94
I've been trying to revise for psychology but I cant get the information to stay in my head. Any tips?

If you're trying to remember the names of the researchers, it's best to relate their names to something you are familiar with. For example, (from addiction) if you're trying to remember Robins et al. (1975), you could write the name and draw a picture of a robin, or Batman & Robin, or Robin Hood etc.
Reply 5
Original post by OliviaVW
For psychology I drew stickmen to resemble the psychologists and then wrote key facts around them, since my issue was that I couldn't remember who did what study, but could remember the facts vaguely. They'd probably get really offended if they ever saw them, but it's how I remember what study relates to what psychologist, and it's helped me remember about 10 more than I already did. I'm on OCR so we have 72 studies.

psych.jpg

hahahaa that's actually quite cool. according to memory research, it'd be a lot easier to remember the studies if those characters you made were interacting in some way- perhaps you could put together loads of interactions and make a full story involving them to help you memorise all the studies!
Reply 6
Original post by OliviaVW

psych.jpg

Haha, that's the most creative revision method I've seen.
Reply 7
Original post by adamned
hahahaa that's actually quite cool. according to memory research, it'd be a lot easier to remember the studies if those characters you made were interacting in some way- perhaps you could put together loads of interactions and make a full story involving them to help you memorise all the studies!

I've already had my exam for this! I cannot for the life of me remember stories or anagrams hence why I resort to this. The only thing that works for me is pictures that usually tend to be unrelated. For psychology with the stickmen I can then get a "photographic memory" as I remember more of what the paper looked like, and have more chance of being able to picture it (along with the figures) in my head.

My brain is retarded, but story-order may be useful for other people :smile:
(but then, if you can remember stories, you may as well skip the drawing bit :tongue:)

Original post by flakepaint
Haha, that's the most creative revision method I've seen.

It doesn't feel like revision either. It's a win-win technique :tongue:
I find just understanding the study and its relevance and learning more about it helps. For example, its hard to memorise a few meaningless sentances, but its easy to remember the general plot of a tv program.

Otherwise its a bit too late to learn sophisticated mnemonics for an exam this summer...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending