The Student Room Group

Sixth Form year 12 advice needed!!!

I’m in year 12 currently, and I really need to get AAA to do the course I want to what shall I start doing differently to achieve that and possibly an A*
Make revision resources as you go along (it’s not too late if you aren’t already), do past paper questions to improve exam technique and don’t be afraid to ask questions if you don’t understand something
Reply 2
Original post by Teribblestudent
Make revision resources as you go along (it’s not too late if you aren’t already), do past paper questions to improve exam technique and don’t be afraid to ask questions if you don’t understand something

Thank youuu
Original post by Menaheel.x
I’m in year 12 currently, and I really need to get AAA to do the course I want to what shall I start doing differently to achieve that and possibly an A*

You want to make revision materials for each topic of each subject as you go through them. My best advice would be Quizlet cards. This means when exams and mock tests come around, you are able to spend more time revising rather than making revision materials or learning the content. Summary videos for all topics are always useful, and I find that reading through the specifications and making mind maps of what I can remember for each point to be particularly effective. As there is a lot of content in A levels, active recall revision methods will be your best friends, as this allows information to move into your long-term memory, and make it easier for you to revise and recall when you need to. Past exam papers as well as physics and maths tutor practice questions are THE MOST IMPORTANT method of revision. This allows you to learn and get used to the new and more specific nature of A level exam questions and mark schemes. It is a huge step up from GCSEs, so make sure to stay on top of your work and revise regularly, but as you are in Year 12 (and even when you are in Year 13), it is absolutely essential that you maintain a good balance between work and rest. A levels becoming exhausting quickly if you dedicate al your spare time and sacrifice your sleep for them. I hope this helps 🙂

What subjects are you taking and what course would you like to do, as I might be able to provide you some more specific information for each subject! ☺️
Reply 4
Original post by erin282888441
You want to make revision materials for each topic of each subject as you go through them. My best advice would be Quizlet cards. This means when exams and mock tests come around, you are able to spend more time revising rather than making revision materials or learning the content. Summary videos for all topics are always useful, and I find that reading through the specifications and making mind maps of what I can remember for each point to be particularly effective. As there is a lot of content in A levels, active recall revision methods will be your best friends, as this allows information to move into your long-term memory, and make it easier for you to revise and recall when you need to. Past exam papers as well as physics and maths tutor practice questions are THE MOST IMPORTANT method of revision. This allows you to learn and get used to the new and more specific nature of A level exam questions and mark schemes. It is a huge step up from GCSEs, so make sure to stay on top of your work and revise regularly, but as you are in Year 12 (and even when you are in Year 13), it is absolutely essential that you maintain a good balance between work and rest. A levels becoming exhausting quickly if you dedicate al your spare time and sacrifice your sleep for them. I hope this helps 🙂

What subjects are you taking and what course would you like to do, as I might be able to provide you some more specific information for each subject! ☺️

Thank you so much I’ll definitely be following the advice
I’m studying BTEC IT, Religious Studies and Government and Politics.
I’m starting to sort of dislike government and politics simply bc the content is getting harder and I don’t understand what to do to revise it bc it’s SOOO content heavy

Hi @Menaheel.x,

As you're currently in the beginning stages of your course, the best advice I can give you is to adopt revision into your daily routine. This might sound tedious, and very daunting- but revision doesn't have to take up so many hours of your day. Revising consistently in smaller amounts, is much better than doing it irregularly but in large chunks.

To make this more achievable, a suggestion I have is to re-read your notes, and revise the topics you covered that day in class. Studies have also shown that by revising the topics you just learnt, helps you retain the information much easier and for longer. This also makes it easier for you for when mock exams come around and you want to cover the syllabus as a whole. You would spend less time re-learning the whole topic since you have retained some of the information during your regular study sessions.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep

For politics I suggest making notes and blurting them afterwards (just the key bits though) honestly all you need to know is definitions, advantages and disadvantages alongside evidence to back up your argument and then your good !

Quick Reply

Latest