The Student Room Group

BA or Masters?

I'm a bit thrown at the moment, I am interested in doing a Mathematics Degree, however there are naturally; as with all subjects, different types. I am thinking more along the lines of specifically a Maths course (not joined) and am now wondering whether to go on to do a Masters or a BA (this is a similar predicament I am in with the thought of doing Physics so advice would be welcomed here as well).

What are the advantages of doing a Masters over a BA, and what are the draw backs?
What opportunities am I closing by not doing a Masters with regards to jobs (or other)?
Am I able to cross over from a BA to a Masters during the course?
Will Grade requirements be the same to do a BA or Masters in the same Uni?
Any other general advice would also be welcomed.

A thanks in advance for your advice :smile:
Reply 1
When I applied to university, I was told that if you're not sure if you want to do the masters or not, then you should apply to the masters initially then change down later if required.

This is because apparently, it's easier to ask student finance to find you for one less year than it is to ask for one more year.

Many of the universities I've seen have identical requirements for both courses, although I think there might be some that ask for a grade higher if you're applying to the masters. In both cases, there are likely to be requirements you have to achieve in exams once you're at university.

At Warwick where I'm at, it's fairly straightforward to switch between the degrees. However, people doing the masters will have certain extra requirements on modules taken in the second and third years so it's better to switch earlier if possible.

Quick Reply

Latest