The Student Room Group

Can I do a BA in psychology and then do a MSC?

Is it possible for me to do a masters of science in psych if I've done a BA in psychology? Or do I have to do a Bsc in psych to be able to qualify? Thanks.
Yes

BA/BSc doesn’t actually relate to anything in the content of a degree.
Reply 2
Original post by DreamyParfait
Is it possible for me to do a masters of science in psych if I've done a BA in psychology? Or do I have to do a Bsc in psych to be able to qualify? Thanks.

If you are wanting to continue studying/working in the field of psychology, your undergraduate degree needs to be accredited by the BPS. I don't think BA degrees usually are, so look out for that.
Original post by Nerol
If you are wanting to continue studying/working in the field of psychology, your undergraduate degree needs to be accredited by the BPS. I don't think BA degrees usually are, so look out for that.

Indeed. Although a few are - Oxford is a BA and it is accredited. But again, the important thing is the BPS accreditation. If you have that, it doesn't matter whether if it is a BA or BSc

@DreamyParfait
The key thing is the BPS accreditation for your degree, and also the Masters that you go on to do.

For an unbiased view of a provider check their report with the QAA (A bit like Ofsted) and their Teaching Excellence Framework Report which is very student feedback based, both readily available online.

Here is an example of one Higher Education Review (Alternative Providers): Arden University Ltd, November 2017 (qaa.ac.uk)

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 5
Most Universities require BPS accreditation and can range from minimum 2:1 to 2:2.

Hey DreamyParfait,

Great you're thinking about a master's degree.

Here at the University of Plymouth you can have a BA in a relevant subject as long as it approved by the BPS. Feel free to check out our website here.

We encourage everyone to research into the universities they're considering thoroughly, but you also can drop an email to the admissions enquiries team of all universities, they'll be able to get you the info needed.

This is our team's email address if you were ever considering coming down to the South West 😊
[email protected]

Best of luck with your search and feel free to drop us a message any time if you want further advice or info!

Best wishes,
~ Amelia - University of Plymouth

Quick Reply

Latest