The Student Room Group

Parent Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by parentlurker
Well I'm certainly out of touch with your experience of mental health services but what you seem unable to accept is that not everyone at Oxford is mentally ill

I never claimed they were? Straw man argument much.

and other people have quite different experiences.

I never said they didn't?

Some people who do have problems have helpful tutors and very good experiences of support services when they are needed.

Again, I never said they didn't? My concern is for those who don't or whose tutors mean well but are not in a position to provide the support required.

Students can ask for longer appointments with a tutor if they normally get 5 minutes and think they need longer but again they have to know they can do that and they have to be prepared to ask.

It isn't always that simple. That is the thing you don't seem to get; life is not as simple as you seem to think it is. I had times where my moral tutor was away for a month of term doing research or giving conferences abroad. How would you propose I schedule a meeting with him/her in such a situation? What if I don't have a good relationship with them or they themselves are the problem?

Oxford also has its own counselling service.
Yes, which many would argue is underfunded and worryingly overused relative to the demographics trends you'd expect.

Chaplains are probably retained for their contribution to welfare services.

That's a wooly justification wheeled out with little real basis. It's the wish to retain a religious link or a link with tradition which is why no Colleges have started getting rid of them yet. It'll come in years to come. I'd rather the £35k or whatever (it's probably more) that is spent on them be focused on more useful services like enhancing the counseling service.

You are wrong about the Chaplain's duty of confidentiality to the student, which is more similar to that of medical staff and is set out on college websites.

You've missed my previous comment about what if they are also fellows of the College. Then they are bound by the same terms as everyone else. It's a significant flaw in the confidentiality argument- you simply cannot tell them certain things that you don't wish the College not to know.

That duty is why some atheistic students may wish to consult them in preference to a tutor.

Often they are a tutor too. That's the problem.

Oxford's advice to parents about students having problems does not suggest rustication is the best way to deal with issues http://www.ox.ac.uk/students/shw/counselling/parents/

That isn't the reality on the ground. You tell your College you have any form of mental illness and they instantly encourage you to rusticate. They put significant pressure on people to sign things in the heat of the moment and then refuse to let them on the College grounds to even visit friends for the year they are off. Not exactly the best way to deal with things if you ask me. If you had experience of this personally you'd understand the situation is more complex than the parents section of the Oxford website...

Students need to be encouraged to seek help as soon as problems develop so they don't get to the stage where a year out is the only option left.

You really haven't a clue have you? For many people a part of mental illness is the fact it is very difficult to discuss or to make sense of. Being willing or able to talk about it is often a big hurdle that takes people a lot of time and strength to do in some situations. It's too simplistic to say 'oh yes we'll encourage them to talk about things earlier and it'll all be jolly good'- things like that totally fail to appreciate the reality of suffering from mental illness. A lot of people also don't realise they have a problem for a long time. It isn't like you can do a quick test you bought in Tesco to say 'ah yes I am depressed' or 'ah I have anorexia'.

Even if tutors were mental health professionals they can't wave magic wands and solve severe problems overnight.

Again, a terribly simplistic comment. If you ever have an issue with mental health personally (or any of your family) then I fear you're in for a massive shock. It may be good for you because at the moment you really do seem terribly naive about mental health and have a simplistic attitude that seems to have crawled out of the 19th century.
Original post by jenkinsear
You've missed my previous comment about what if they are also fellows of the College. Then they are bound by the same terms as everyone else. It's a significant flaw in the confidentiality argument- you simply cannot tell them certain things that you don't wish the College not to know.Often they are a tutor too. That's the problem. .

I didn't miss your comment but you fail to understand that adults can have more than one role and keep them separate, sometimes referred to e.g. as "having my Chaplain's hat on". So if you consult someone as a tutor they have different responsibilities to consulting them as Chaplain. You may not yet understand that but the Chaplains do. .

Personal abuse is not a way to persuade anyone to your way of thinking, is rather childish and shows that further discussion is pointless. I have responded to try and reassure Helen-in-Ireland that your personal experience of mental health support in Oxford is not that experienced by others. There have been some suicides at Oxford, people like you who try to discourage students from seeking help contribute to that.
I didn't miss your comment but you fail to understand that adults can have more than one role and keep them separate, sometimes referred to e.g. as "having my Chaplain's hat on".

How patronising. You're still totally missing the point and I note failed to respond to virtually all of my other points that tore holes in your argument.

So if you consult someone as a tutor they have different responsibilities to consulting them as Chaplain. You may not yet understand that but the Chaplains do. .

When you are a fellow of a College you sign up to follow certain policies. There are no opt out clauses or asterixes which say 'unless you're talking to them in your Chaplain role'. All this talk of hats is great but doesn't really get to the core of the issue which is they have responsibilities to report things that they cannot get out of. If you have a Chaplain who is not a fellow of the College you have some hope of keeping these powers/responsibilities separate. But many Colleges do not do that.

Personal abuse is not a way to persuade anyone to your way of thinking, is rather childish and shows that further discussion is pointless.

I have not abused you, simply been blunt in highlighting the gross flaws in your arguments and very simplistic analysis of a situation you have not personally experienced or gained any significant knowledge/understanding of. The 'oh you're being mean response' followed by running away is very mature and a great demonstration of the fact that when challenged you simply can't manage it.

I have responded to try and reassure Helen-in-Ireland that your personal experience of mental health support in Oxford is not that experienced by others.

She seems like a very sensible woman. I'm very sure she knows that. Though I find it odd how having had zero experience of mental health support in Oxford, or indeed Oxford, that you feel qualified to speak on the subject. The numerous times I've pointed out flaws in what you've said shows that perhaps you ought to stick to area you know.

There have been some suicides at Oxford, people like you who try to discourage students from seeking help contribute to that.

Yes I'm contributing to suicides. That is probably the most stupid thing I've ever seen written on here. Not once have I ever sought to discourage students from seeking help. You just cannot seem to understand that it is not as simplistic as you seem to be where student A has a problem and can instantly feel fine about chatting with their tutor about it, who will be perfectly trained and equipped to deal with it. I'd quite like to experience living in such a simplistic world but alas it doesn't exist. So I'd say it is attitudes like yours, which totally fail to grasp the nature of mental illness that contribute towards suicide. If I had a parent with such attitudes I know I could never speak to them about anything to do with mental health. Thankfully my parents have a more enlightened, progressive view of things as I'm sure the majority of other human beings do.

P.S. You ought to be very careful about using the 'people like you' line- has a nasty habit of getting people into trouble.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 63

When you are a fellow of a College you sign up to follow certain policies. There are no opt out clauses or asterixes which say 'unless you're talking to them in your Chaplain role'. All this talk of hats is great but doesn't really get to the core of the issue which is they have responsibilities to report things that they cannot get out of. If you have a Chaplain who is not a fellow of the College you have some hope of keeping these powers/responsibilities separate. But many Colleges do not do that.

At the risk of prolonging what has become a rather unpleasant conversation, I would just point out - as someone who knows Oxford very well - that parentlurker is correct about chaplains. Read this, for example, from the Pembroke chaplain who is a fellow and tutor:
http://www.pmb.ox.ac.uk/students/welfare/chaplain
He says that neither he nor the college nurse 'will disclose anything confidential without your permission'. I know many chaplains in Oxford and I know they do highly valued pastoral work with people of all faiths and none.
I'm not saying Oxford isn't a tough place - it is undoubtedly stressful, competitive and intense, and this can be overwhelming for some people. The weight of your own and family's expectations, the discovery that you are no longer top of the class, the realisation that getting in - which seemed like the pinnacle of achievement - was just the foothills of a long climb, the ferocious pace of work, can all contribute to unhappiness and loss of confidence. Mental health support is a lot better than it used to be, but by no means perfect. Maybe rather than blaming individual tutors we need to look more at these wider structural and cultural pressures on young adults?
Original post by oldlady
At the risk of prolonging what has become a rather unpleasant conversation, I would just point out - as someone who knows Oxford very well - that parentlurker is correct about chaplains. Read this, for example, from the Pembroke chaplain who is a fellow and tutor:
http://www.pmb.ox.ac.uk/students/welfare/chaplain
He says that neither he nor the college nurse 'will disclose anything confidential without your permission'. I know many chaplains in Oxford and I know they do highly valued pastoral work with people of all faiths and none.

That may be true for Pembroke but at my undergrad college it was considered an issue after a few issues where the Chaplain had reported concerns. The JCR advised students to be careful what they shared with the Chaplain. It may well have just been that 1 College for all I know but it is not a blanket positive position.

As for the chaplains I'm sure they do some good. But for most students a chaplain is not someone they'd feel comfortable talking to or consider an appropriate choice any more. There's no reason why someone holding a pastoral position needs to be a Church of England vicar anymore- I'd rather the job be held by a professional.

Original post by oldlady
I'm not saying Oxford isn't a tough place - it is undoubtedly stressful, competitive and intense, and this can be overwhelming for some people. The weight of your own and family's expectations, the discovery that you are no longer top of the class, the realisation that getting in - which seemed like the pinnacle of achievement - was just the foothills of a long climb, the ferocious pace of work, can all contribute to unhappiness and loss of confidence.

I agree with all of that. I would say though that for a lot of people it isn't any of those things that causes their particular problem. It's been a real problem I think that the University perceives too many people as only having problems because 'they couldn't deal with the pressure or expectation' or things along those lines. In some cases I am sure it's true, but too often people generalise. (I'm not accusing you of doing that; it's just a general point.)

Original post by oldlady
Mental health support is a lot better than it used to be, but by no means perfect. Maybe rather than blaming individual tutors we need to look more at these wider structural and cultural pressures on young adults?

I'm glad to hear that. I'm also realistic in not expecting perfection. Improvement is desperatly needed is all I'm saying.

I agree about your point about individual tutors and looking at wider pressures. I also think a radical rethink of attitudes like those expressed by parentlurker which naively fail to appreciate the struggles of people who actually have mental health issues would do the world of good and bring thinking about mental health into the 21st, rather than the 19th century.

As a general point, I found your post interesting even if I didn't agree with it all. Thank you for sharing your insight/view- different and informed perspectives are valuable.
You tell your College you have any form of mental illness and they instantly encourage you to rusticate. They put significant pressure on people to sign things in the heat of the moment and then refuse to let them on the College grounds to even visit friends for the year they are off.

I have responded to try and reassure Helen-in-Ireland that your personal experience of mental health support in Oxford is not that experienced by others.

Original post by oldlady
I know many chaplains in Oxford and I know they do highly valued pastoral work with people of all faiths and none.
I'm not saying Oxford isn't a tough place - it is undoubtedly stressful, competitive and intense, and this can be overwhelming for some people. The weight of your own and family's expectations, the discovery that you are no longer top of the class, the realisation that getting in - which seemed like the pinnacle of achievement - was just the foothills of a long climb, the ferocious pace of work, can all contribute to unhappiness and loss of confidence. Mental health support is a lot better than it used to be, but by no means perfect. Maybe rather than blaming individual tutors we need to look more at these wider structural and cultural pressures on young adults?

I haven't had much of a chance to read the parent's forum this week so I am surprised and somewhat saddened to see that there has been such a forthright discussion left in my wake!

I believe that parental support is probably the first line of support for a student - just knowing that she has her family at her back ready to give support and offer advice. To give Jenkinsear her dues, lack of support for within the Oxford University structure and the overuse of rustication as a remedy for stressed students is an issue that has been touched upon in a number of forums by present students.

I think that preventative measures (ensuring that the student understands the pressures of the Oxford system; organising a workable timetable to balance studies and leisure; known routes of access to welfare and counseling) will benefit my daughter from the outset. Although she is not particularly religious, I have also heard, as Oldlady says, that the chaplain can be of help and a source of referral to other services.Although she will be far from home, she also has an uncle living in London for familial support.

What I WON'T be doing is frightening the life out of her by banging on about the pressures of the Oxford system. My daughter has a good sense of reality, and a strong sense of self worth. I want her time at university to be a positive experience, and a great start to her adult life.
Reply 66
Original post by Helen_in_Ireland

What I WON'T be doing is frightening the life out of her by banging on about the pressures of the Oxford system. My daughter has a good sense of reality, and a strong sense of self worth. I want her time at university to be a positive experience, and a great start to her adult life.

Good plan - and I should say that although I was pretty shell-shocked by the step-up in workload in my first couple of terms compared to school, I loved the place and it gave me all kinds of learning and experiences I have never forgotten. May she prosper and be happy.
So sad - my daughter missed her offer for Oxford :-(

However, she now has a place through Clearing at Queen Mary University of London for History and Politics (same as Oxford) and is pretty sure of being accepted at Trinity College Dublin as well.

She has some big decisions to make now - London is an expensive place to live/study but she really wants to spread her wings and she's always loved London.

Alternatively TCD is pretty high up in the world rankings (#61) and has a great reputation. She knows a lot of the people who will be going there though - and they know that she didn't get Oxford...
Reply 68
Original post by Helen_in_Ireland
So sad - my daughter missed her offer for Oxford :-(

However, she now has a place through Clearing at Queen Mary University of London for History and Politics (same as Oxford) and is pretty sure of being accepted at Trinity College Dublin as well.

She has some big decisions to make now - London is an expensive place to live/study but she really wants to spread her wings and she's always loved London.

Alternatively TCD is pretty high up in the world rankings (#61) and has a great reputation. She knows a lot of the people who will be going there though - and they know that she didn't get Oxford...

Really sorry to hear that - gut-wrenching for both of you. Both are very good universities, so it will probably come down less to academic issues than personal ones, as you suggest. QMUL has had a few staff disputes/sackings recently as they rise up through the league tables - but I doubt that would affect most students' experience, and it has some real stars in the history department. Like most London universities the student satisfaction rates are a bit middling. http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/national-student-survey-2014-results-show-record-levels-of-satisfaction/2015108.article
And it will be very expensive....the chance of a TCD-quality education for a fraction of the price of QMUL would be tempting. The anonymity of London compared to the more intitmate feel of Dublin is a factor to consider; people often live in very scattered places so there may be less community feel. But then in her circumstances, as you say, that might enable more of a fresh start. Good luck with the decision-making.
Reply 69
Original post by Origami Bullets
I've not come across them before, but they don't look like a particularly useful company.

Plenty of reminders about how admissions are "more competitive than even before" (no they're not - they're actually much less competitive than they were pre-2012) combined with an apparent silence on their consultant's credentials rings alarm bells.

By all means go along tomorrow, but I suspect that they won't be able to do anything that TSR's (award winning) medicine forum and PS help service cannot. And TSR is free.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is an old thread but could you please tell me what the 'PS help service' is. Thanks
Original post by PJDK
This is an old thread but could you please tell me what the 'PS help service' is. Thanks

It was a help service for draft personal statements, usually for UCAS, although many job applications now ask for something similar. The TSR approach has changed in past year or so. Previously you could post a draft statement and request critical comments/feedback, but this is no longer possible. Instead posters can ask for more general assistance in drafting a personal statement. Have a browse through this forum:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1083
Reply 71
Original post by Holmstock
It was a help service for draft personal statements, usually for UCAS, although many job applications now ask for something similar. The TSR approach has changed in past year or so. Previously you could post a draft statement and request critical comments/feedback, but this is no longer possible. Instead posters can ask for more general assistance in drafting a personal statement. Have a browse through this forum:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1083

Thank you so much. This forum is so good I'm not getting any sleep!
Hi. Can anyone advise about uni offers? I've heard that some universities give unconditional offers? I presume that some give lower offers than they specify in their prospectuses too? Is that common practice?

Just trying to be realistic with where we should be going for uni open days. My son is in year 12 and sitting maths, further maths, physics and economics. He thinks he's probably going to come out of this year with grade B's. Will some universities look at the subject choice too? If he wants to do computer science will his subjects be "worth more" to the subject at university than if he had sat maths and then 3 x humanities subjects for example?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mumfindinginfo
Hi. Can anyone advise about uni offers? I've heard that some universities give unconditional offers? I presume that some give lower offers than they specify in their prospectuses too? Is that common practice?

Just trying to be realistic with where we should be going for uni open days. My son is in year 12 and sitting maths, further maths, physics and economics. He thinks he's probably going to come out of this year with grade B's. Will some universities look at the subject choice too? If he wants to do computer science will his subjects be "worth more" to the subject at university than if he had sat maths and then 3 x humanities subjects for example?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most courses at most unis will give out conditional offers to students who have not yet finished their exams. There are only a small number of unis handing out unconditional offers to Y13s, and even at those unis many students will still receive a conditional offer.

It's not the norm for universities to give out lower offers than they state. Where there is a range of offers stated (e.g. AAB-BBB) most offers will be at the higher end of the scale, but lower offers may be given out on the basis of
- predicted grades
- favourable subjects
- mitigating circumstances (see Bristol's contextual offer scheme, for instance)

Over and above the stated subject requirements, having relevant subjects at A Level will be a bonus, but not strictly relevant.

Your son should pick unis which, based on predicted grades and typical offers, are a mixture of 1-2 ambitious choices, 2-3 realistic choices (in line with predicted grades) and 1-2 insurance choices. Of course, he should ensure he likes all the unis he applies for. WhatUni is quite a useful little search engine that allows you to search by A Level grade requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for your reply. My step daughter has a friend who has received an unconditional offer, so it made me start wondering.

Based on your reply I think I will try and encourage him to look at a couple more universities - we have 4 booked. It's really difficult to guess what his grades might be when he hasn't had his results yet, especially as maths and further maths have so many modules.

The whatuni app is very good, however, I've found it not to be too accurate on the entrance requirements compared to the university website - I will check again, maybe it's been updated.
Reply 75

I don't suppose he'll know for certain until he gets his results but does he know which subjects he'll carry forward to A2 (assuming he'll drop one)? I mention this because further maths can be a very funny subject where some courses regard it as highly desirable and others will not count it because they want more breadth of subjects. Your son will have to check specific entry requirements at any courses and unis of interest.
Reply 76
Original post by Folion
I don't suppose he'll know for certain until he gets his results but does he know which subjects he'll carry forward to A2 (assuming he'll drop one)? I mention this because further maths can be a very funny subject where some courses regard it as highly desirable and others will not count it because they want more breadth of subjects. Your son will have to check specific entry requirements at any courses and unis of interest.

I *think* that's only for medicine at some unis.
http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/medicine
But, yes, always best to check.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
Thank you for your reply. My step daughter has a friend who has received an unconditional offer, so it made me start wondering.

Based on your reply I think I will try and encourage him to look at a couple more universities - we have 4 booked. It's really difficult to guess what his grades might be when he hasn't had his results yet, especially as maths and further maths have so many modules.

The whatuni app is very good, however, I've found it not to be too accurate on the entrance requirements compared to the university website - I will check again, maybe it's been updated.

Useful article here names a few which are giving out unconditionals this year - it is becoming much more common:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/11297453/Top-universities-ignoring-final-A-level-grades-in-race-to-sign-up-students.html
it is becoming more common but more from the sort of university that gets applicants expecting to get at least 3 A grades.

Before he drops anything he needs to consider if further maths will be counted as a full A level (often but sometimes counts as half). If he wants to do maths universities will definitely prefer maths and further maths.

He can apply to 5 universities and it really is best to try and get to all the ones he applies to. I took two students to one university - one didnt like it all and it was the other students first choice. Young people are odd, neither could really explain why.
Hi everyone.
Searching online trying to find a parents forum of a student forum found this one and joined today. I am looking for other UK/EU parent(s) who also have a teen that is going to study in USA at college this fall/autumn. I am in one of the EU countries. I am also at the american forum CollegeConfidential the parents cafe section.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending