The Student Room Group

GYG Asks... How can we help you on your path to university?

:wavey: Hello Grow Your Grades Bloggers! :wavey:

Apologies to anyone I’ve tagged in who doesn’t find this relevant! I know a lot of you are on the path to university study and here at TSR we want to support you in that journey :yep:

As many of you know, in the Study Help section of the site we have ongoing live study together sessions happening each week, as well as subject-specific A-level study groups and year group chats for year 12 and year 13.

In the Universities section, we have a dedicated Ask Student Finance England forum and Official Offer Holders threads where you can meet other students considering the same unis as you :smile:

What else would you like to see in our Universities forum? What sort of content would you find useful?

Let us know in the comments! All year groups are welcome to have their say!

Grow Your Grades Bloggers

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

topslugger
x

ts-d1
x

University of Leicester
x

(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 1
Maybe any announcement pages? Like how they changed the BMAT to UCAT for some of the med schools now, for things like that. Maybe something exists but I haven’t seen it yet
Reply 2
Original post by study23!
Maybe any announcement pages? Like how they changed the BMAT to UCAT for some of the med schools now, for things like that. Maybe something exists but I haven’t seen it yet
I agree with this, I havent seen anything either but if it doesnt exist then something like that
What sort of thing are you thinking of? a place to discuss the changes or ask questions? there was an announcement thread created when the news broke but otherwise more ad-hoc content afterwards 🙂 let us know what you think!
Reply 4
Original post by CamembertPaws
What sort of thing are you thinking of? a place to discuss the changes or ask questions? there was an announcement thread created when the news broke but otherwise more ad-hoc content afterwards 🙂 let us know what you think!
Oops I must have missed it! Probably more to ask questions as it is so hard to keep track of what unis are saying for different things so it'd be useful to have a place to clarify things.
Oops I must have missed it! Probably more to ask questions as it is so hard to keep track of what unis are saying for different things so it'd be useful to have a place to clarify things.

That's no problem! happens easily, you could probably find a relevant thread in the Medicine forum to help https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=195 / ask any questions however, I will make a note of this and see what we can get set up :smile:
The usual reminder that there are far more options out there than a traditional uni route.

Make sure you have some goal for what to do with your uni degree before heading off to study just because "you don't know what else to do".
Original post by 04MR17
The usual reminder that there are far more options out there than a traditional uni route.

Make sure you have some goal for what to do with your uni degree before heading off to study just because "you don't know what else to do".

Although a passion for a subject is also a good reason to study something at degree level!
Original post by Pwca
:wavey: Hello Grow Your Grades Bloggers! :wavey:

Apologies to anyone I’ve tagged in who doesn’t find this relevant! I know a lot of you are on the path to university study and here at TSR we want to support you in that journey :yep:

As many of you know, in the Study Help section of the site we have ongoing live study together sessions happening each week, as well as subject-specific A-level study groups and year group chats for year 12 and year 13.

In the Universities section, we have a dedicated Ask Student Finance England forum and Official Offer Holders threads where you can meet other students considering the same unis as you :smile:

What else would you like to see in our Universities forum? What sort of content would you find useful?

Let us know in the comments! All year groups are welcome to have their say!

Grow Your Grades Bloggers

if anyone has general questions about ucas/university application process, feel free to ask me ❤️ also this links to my point: perhaps there could be a thread created where it's like a q&a for year 12s to ask and year 13s/current uni students to respond? and then q&a/ama threads for the more specific subjects like history, english etc

if they don't already exist :smile:
Original post by Pwca
Although a passion for a subject is also a good reason to study something at degree level!

Agreed but I do find that's a little more romantic and only something I'd support if there were no major financial constraints on the person when they would reach the age of the end of their course.
Original post by 04MR17
Agreed but I do find that's a little more romantic and only something I'd support if there were no major financial constraints on the person when they would reach the age of the end of their course.

I would agree that university isn't for everybody, but it can also be a great way to discover what opportunities are out there and give yourself an edge. Many graduate schemes, for example, don't specify a subject. I certainly wouldn't have found my path without going to uni, although I did wait until I was 21. Nonetheless, I went in without a plan!

It's so true that there are tons of non-uni paths available and I hope we can start to highlight some of these. This thread is just a chance for people to outline how we can help them in this specific way :smile:
Reply 11
I think definitely a resources masterpost for students that may benefit from bursary money, contextual offers
Maybe do a post about the Sutton Trust?
Applications are open for both Durham and Cambridge and I think the application for Durham closes March 7th
It's important for students who would come from low income backgrounds with parents that didn't go to uni (and in my case, is also a carer to a parent) that they know they have these options.
Original post by orb22
I think definitely a resources masterpost for students that may benefit from bursary money, contextual offers
Maybe do a post about the Sutton Trust?
Applications are open for both Durham and Cambridge and I think the application for Durham closes March 7th
It's important for students who would come from low income backgrounds with parents that didn't go to uni (and in my case, is also a carer to a parent) that they know they have these options.
totally agree with this!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending