The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Coursework

post removed
(edited 6 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

I've completed A2 edexcel biology. We started the CW last summer.

Especially if you're having a different teacher next year, for the love of god make sure you finish at least a first draft of this by either the end of this term or by September.

We did the investigation this time last year. Back in the class we wrote up what we were going to include in each section and did most of the statistical stuff.

I then kinda forgot about it. We then had a knew teacher who had taught under a different exam board. She wasn't even aware of the coursework! Or the pre-released article we need for our exam next week (in the end, we got it about a month ago, even though it was released nearly a month before that!) Until we mentioned them to her.

It was a nightmare and we ended up handing them in 2 days before they had to be submitted!
Still, you might not want to do work over the summer hols, but please do, if you need to finish the first draft of it or whatever, if you get stuck, you can message me :h:. The A2 topics are very time consuming. Just be glad that photosynthesis and respiration are on different exams. Trust me, you'll thank edexcel for that when you see how complicated they are but also how they look almsot identical!!!!! - OCR people have them on the same exam!
Reply 3
i am and i don't even have any ideas on what to do for my coursework, any ideas?:colondollar:
Please do!

The school I was at during my AS year organised a trip to the local marshes each year. We collected peat/clay marsh data for plants, and insect samples from two ****s. We then ended up with a tonne of data without having to repeat it much ourselves. Our teacher suggested just basing our study on the amrshes or ****s so you can include enough data. We took temperature and ph readings and whatnot to explain the differences. And in the discussion explained how they would affect the biodiversity. And with the marshes it was easy to explain outliers cos you could just say that peat didn't have many species, but species X is better suited to peat because of z.

How would you do a biological titration? Cos you can jsut use Ph to work out the acidity of something biological.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
I got an A :biggrin: Very relieved that the time and money on the field trip paid off. lool :smile:
a U. The teacher was clueless, and said it was good (maybe a C/B).
Reply 7
Yeah, I started coursework back in June after a trip to the forest, and our coursework is based on ecology. Light intensity's a good one, and you can hypothesise well on it.

I'm like 1200 words over the maximum limit, it was literally impossible for me to finish the report, and there's still more I could add to make it a better piece of work, but I stopped where I did, which is about 4700. Will I be penalised massively for it? And is there a TSR coursework draft forum at all?

I really want/have to do better than AS. I got a middle D in Biology, partly because my Unit 2 was a D, and also because I had no idea what to do for the coursework. Looking back over it, it's cringeworthy, and I'm surprised I even got a D for it...

But I realise how much a good coursework can help you. Particularly in Chemistry.

I realised I'm a bit late with my own contribution. Apologies.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Don't worry, the same happened to my friend. I got a C in Unit 1, a D in unit 2 and a D in the coursework,
so I'm going to have to really redeem it this year.
I've got an E overall, guess I'm not gonna be doing marine biology. That was my only a2, I'm doing 3 a2s this year and hopefully getting onto oceanography which is basically a broader course which includes a few marine biology topics.
Reply 10
Chemistry and German.
I dropped Music Technology at AS.
Reply 11
Thank you!
Same with you, what subjects do you study other than Bio?
Original post by Nu1tha
I got an A :biggrin: Very relieved that the time and money on the field trip paid off. lool :smile:

Congrats on your A! Would you mind uploading your cw so the rest of us with rubbish teachers have a better idea on what to do for cw on ecology?
iv just started our coursework at school(biology) about the effect of lioght intensity on photosynthesis any tips on how to get an A*
clare, well done, you're a slag, and you spell your name wrong, sort it out clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending