The Student Room Group

How difficult is Edexcel A level History?

My current subjects are History Economics and Mathematics. I would like to pursue law preferably at LSE. How hard is History as a subject for someone who has no prior knowledge. I intend to try out History for at least a week but If I decide to drop it I will be replacing it with Biology. Would Biology Economics and Mathematics still be a viable subject combination for law?
um i think i did OCR A level history and KINDA HATED IT. but I was just being lazy and found it harder than sciences and maths. If u actually like history and being organised and writing lil summaries and tons of notes then ig you'll like it. the coursework ******* killed tho. i hate having to do little check ins and stupid activities i wish my teacher woulda just let me get on with my coursework and not hassle me
Original post by gordoncheers
My current subjects are History Economics and Mathematics. I would like to pursue law preferably at LSE. How hard is History as a subject for someone who has no prior knowledge. I intend to try out History for at least a week but If I decide to drop it I will be replacing it with Biology. Would Biology Economics and Mathematics still be a viable subject combination for law?

I did AQA so maybe a bit different
the main challenge is the amount of content - there's soooo much I can't stress it enough, but it would be really good preparation for law
> I would also say it depends on if you enjoy the topics, it feels less of a chore to learn facts that way
> The main thing is just staying organised & consistent - doing a little bit each week for history is so much easier than trying to revise it all near the end - especially with coursework

I had quite a few people in my a-level class that didn't have any prior history knowledge, and they weren't at any disadvantage at all!
hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by gordoncheers

I’m currently in year 2 of edexcel history and very muchhhhh struggling. i think if you are consistent with keeping up with the sheer amount of content it is more manageable but it is soooo much work and in my case a lot of sleepless nights to cram for exams. I have applied for law this coming 2024 year and have managed to secure offers from UCL, so similar to your subject choice and would definitely say history would help towards that as it buttered up my personal statement alongside english lit aswell. overall and waffle aside it’s argumentative benefits make it a huge benefit, and i think if you see yourself as motivated enough you should defo stick with it. can always ask more questions if you want some pointers as we are in very similar situations!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest