The Student Room Group

The Edexcel AEA (26/06/12 - AM) Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by div curl F 0
I did this exam yesterday, just "to keep my eye in" on maths at this level. Anyway, for the domain of gf(x)gf(x), I worked along the lines of if x>2x > 2 for g(x), then for g(x22x+6)g(x^2 - 2x + 6) we need x22x+6>2x^2 - 2x + 6 > 2, which is always satisfied. So I went with x can be any real number as the domain of gf(x)gf(x), which led to the range being greater than or equal to 6.

As for 7(f), the angle the tangent of C1 made with the horizontal was β\beta, and the angle the tangent of C2 made with the horizontal was β-\beta, so the angle between the two tangents was 2β2\beta. However, since 16π232<1\sqrt{\frac{16 - \pi^2}{32}} < 1 then β<π4\beta < \frac{\pi}{4}, so 2β<π22\beta < \frac{\pi}{2}. So the obtuse angle between the two tangents is the difference between π\pi and 2β2\beta, i.e. π2β\pi - 2\beta.

They were my lines of thought, anybody agree/disagree?

I think the final part of 7 was pi/2 + 2beta, as if you drew the isosceles triangle with two angles beta, then the acute angle that the two lines make with each other was pi/2 - 2beta. So the obtuse angle would then be pi - (pi/2 - 2beta) = pi/2 + 2beta.

Then again I may be completely wrong, so it would be interesting to hear what other people think. I got one line was inclined at beta above the horizontal, he other at beta below.

Edit: my apologies, you are correct, I am not.
(edited 11 years ago)
I really enjoyed the paper, probably because there was no pressure on me to do well so I was relaxed and got it all done. There were some very tricky bits though.
Original post by div curl F 0
I did this exam yesterday, just "to keep my eye in" on maths at this level. Anyway, for the domain of gf(x)gf(x), I worked along the lines of if x>2x > 2 for g(x), then for g(x22x+6)g(x^2 - 2x + 6) we need x22x+6>2x^2 - 2x + 6 > 2, which is always satisfied. So I went with x can be any real number as the domain of gf(x)gf(x), which led to the range being greater than or equal to 6.

As for 7(f), the angle the tangent of C1 made with the horizontal was β\beta, and the angle the tangent of C2 made with the horizontal was β-\beta, so the angle between the two tangents was 2β2\beta. However, since 16π232<1\sqrt{\frac{16 - \pi^2}{32}} < 1 then β<π4\beta < \frac{\pi}{4}, so 2β<π22\beta < \frac{\pi}{2}. So the obtuse angle between the two tangents is the difference between π\pi and 2β2\beta, i.e. π2β\pi - 2\beta.

They were my lines of thought, anybody agree/disagree?

I did the exact same thing for 7 f) but, I dunno if its right or not. I was in such a hurry! Hope its right! Really need merit on this one!
Original post by Astronomical
How? :s-smilie:

It had a height of y = (0+a)(0-b)(0-b) and a width (a+b), right?

Show me some proofs, guys! :tongue:

Original post by und
S was the maximum, not the y intercept!

I believe that the second-last question was one of the easiest on the paper.

In the part in which we had to show ((a+b)^4)/12 in that i had expanded the stuff while integrating, after integrating i knew it should be ((a+b)^4)/12 but i couldn't bother factorizing it so i just expanded ((a+b)^4)/12 to show that its expanded form matches with the one i got, will they give me full marks for it?
Original post by raheem94

In the part in which we had to show ((a+b)^4)/12 in that i had expanded the stuff while integrating, after integrating i knew it should be ((a+b)^4)/12 but i couldn't bother factorizing it so i just expanded ((a+b)^4)/12 to show that its expanded form matches with the one i got, will they give me full marks for it?

Idk besides the 1-2 marks for giving the domain the first question was ridiculously easy.

How did you show they were the same without factorising though?

Similar to you, I expanded (a+b)^4 /12 at the bottom of the page so I could see what I was aiming for, and then factorised it until the expressions were the same.

I think if you've made it obvious that your expression and the expansion are the same, you should get the marks. It wasn't exactly difficult, just lot's of messy algebra. :tongue:
Original post by In One Ear
Idk besides the 1-2 marks for giving the domain the first question was ridiculously easy.

But domain and range was the tricky part. Though the two integration questions(Q2 and 6) were the easiest IMO.
Do any of you guys need it for your offer?
Original post by Astronomical
How did you show they were the same without factorising though?

Similar to you, I expanded (a+b)^4 /12 at the bottom of the page so I could see what I was aiming for, and then factorised it until the expressions were the same.

I think if you've made it obvious that your expression and the expansion are the same, you should get the marks. It wasn't exactly difficult, just lot's of messy algebra. :tongue:

I showed it by expanding (a+b)^4.

I first put the expression i got from integrating on a denominator of 12, then i knew that the top should factorize to (a+b)^4. So i showed the expansion of (a+b)^4 and it matched with the one i had as the numerator of my integrated expression.

Assuming i got everything right on this question, will they give me the S marks?
With regards to showing the area was (a+b)412\frac{(a+b)^4}{12}, I performed the integral using the substitution u=xbu = x - b. This made the integral become

ab0(u3+(a+b)u2)du \int_{-a-b}^{0} \, \big(u^3 + (a+b)u^2 \big) \, du

which made the end result pop out without any expanding brackets.
Reply 190

When I got 1 4 6 4 1 I briefly mentioned the binomial theorem and Pascal's triangle, and wrote that it was equal to (a+b)^4. Do you reckon that's alright? I don't know how else you can show the factorisation anyway... Surely you just do it by inspection.
Reply 191
Original post by und
When I got 1 4 6 4 1 I briefly mentioned the binomial theorem and Pascal's triangle, and wrote that it was equal to (a+b)^4. Do you reckon that's alright? I don't know how else you can show the factorisation anyway... Surely you just do it by inspection.

If you just integrate (x+a)(x-b)^2 by parts you don't have to factorise.
Reply 192
Also guys what do we reckon overall, compared to previous papers about the difficulty of this one. Possibly 2010 grade boundaries?
Reply 193
Original post by Maths678

To be honest I did realise that in the exam but it didn't take me long to expand and integrate the polynomial because I'd already written it in a nicer form for the previous part.
Reply 194
Also guys what do we reckon overall, compared to previous papers about the difficulty of this one. Possibly 2010 grade boundaries?

I don't want to be pessimistic but perhaps even a few marks higher.
Reply 195
Original post by und
I don't want to be pessimistic but perhaps even a few marks higher.

Maybe, how high can they get though, 85+ is a near perfect script in terms of question attempts with one or two errors. Also did our mistake in q1 only affect part iii) of the question?
Original post by In One Ear
Seens like no ones given an answer for the third integral yet. I did do it (i believe) in the exam and i thought it used the same trick as the second integral. After simplifying you had to integrate something like

2sinx*(cosx)^(1/3) dx

which you can use the same "trick" for. As in, the dervative of cos is -sin and using the chain rule you drop the powers by one so just reverse the process giving

-3/2 (cosx)^(4/3) +C

At least i hope this is true!

are you sure about the bolded part?

i got

2(\sin^2x \cosx)^{1/3}

have no idea how to turn that in latex just tried and failed about 10 edits lol
(edited 11 years ago)

^ this

at first i expanded every term, then thought im not gona get far like this, so i just went straight to ibp on the factorised form and it dropped out like a fly
Original post by und

Its probably right!
Original post by 8inchestall
are you sure about the bolded part?

i got

2(\sin^2x \cosx)^{1/3}

have no idea how to turn that in latex just tried and failed about 10 edits lol

I remember getting the answer as a(cosx)43+C a ( \cos x )^{ \frac43} + C , where a a is a constant which i don't remember.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending