The Student Room Group

taking more draws to uni?

Im a girl who likes to have plenty of stuff! in halls it looks like theres a wardrobe and a couple of draws.
I figured i should take some more which are movable and easy to use to put my bits in there and can use the others for draws...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8325275/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+and+furniture%7C14417894/c_2/2%7C14417894%7CBathroom%7C14418043/c_3/3%7Ccat_14418043%7CBathroom+shelving+and+storage%7C14418079.htm

or what did other ppl taKE?
You can take them if you think you'll need them. Personally I would go without them at first and see how you get on. Uni rooms aren't very big or spacious so you don't really want to be filling the room up and making it cramped if you don't need the extra storage. And if you find you need them after a few weeks/months then there's no harm in getting some :smile:
you could but honestly, theres a lot of room in there and you are only there a few months
You might not have enough space for those. It will probably be best to wait until you get there to see if you have space / actually need them.

Have you thought about getting some underbed storage things? They might be a more effective use of space.
Reply 4
I would wait until you get there, I'm in a similar position and am going to see what space I have and how much storage I need before I buy anything. Your stuff can always be piled neatly in a corner for the first couple of weeks until you get something to put it in.
Reply 5
I took something similar and found it very useful but my room was quite big. If you've not been to see your room I'd leave them at home and collect them later on as a lot of rooms in halls are too small for extra drawers :smile:
Reply 6
i took loads and got high
Reply 7
Original post by lilyxx
Im a girl who likes to have plenty of stuff! in halls it looks like theres a wardrobe and a couple of draws.
I figured i should take some more which are movable and easy to use to put my bits in there and can use the others for draws...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8325275/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+and+furniture%7C14417894/c_2/2%7C14417894%7CBathroom%7C14418043/c_3/3%7Ccat_14418043%7CBathroom+shelving+and+storage%7C14418079.htm

I'm a guy and I took a set of 4 draws similar to the one in the picture (without wheels) and they were pretty handy. Would have never fit all my stuff in the draws they provided.
Reply 8
Original post by Soph.Jade
I took something similar and found it very useful but my room was quite big. If you've not been to see your room I'd leave them at home and collect them later on as a lot of rooms in halls are too small for extra drawers :smile:

yeah ive seen the room it is pretty big so im gna need to take some! Where did u get urs from?
Reply 9
Original post by lilyxx
yeah ive seen the room it is pretty big so im gna need to take some! Where did u get urs from?

Home bargains or matalan - only some cheap ones I could get rid of at the end of the year :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Soph.Jade
Home bargains or matalan - only some cheap ones I could get rid of at the end of the year :smile:

Yeah im gna look nearer september! :smile: i was going to take some other draw things which has 2 deep draws that are wicker which i think will be pretty handy! i have so much stuff hahah
thanks!
Reply 11
I took other drawers but didn't really use them so I left them at home in second year. If you do want to take some, find ones that will fit under a desk as you may find there's little space to put them otherwise.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 12
I would wait til you get there. I got a set of cheap, plastic drawers from Argos in the 2nd half of my first year, as I really needed more storage. But my space was pretty limited, so I'm glad I waited to get them.
Original post by lilyxx

If you think you need the extra storage then go for it! You can buy cheaper draws though e.g. http://direct.asda.com/ASDA-3-Drawer-Plastic-Storage-Unit---Silver/001497146,default,pd.html just have a shop around first!

Remember that your room is unlikely to be very big so space is essential!
I'm taking a clothes rail because the wardrobes are so small! (I'm going to bedfordshire btw but I don't think I've seen any decent sized wardrobes at any of the halls I've been to)

Anyway my mum picked it up for a tenner or something from some quirky little shop that may or may not have been closing down (can't remember!) and this is basically an exact copy: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Habitat-small-chrome-sturdy-clothes-rail-/160829964467?pt=UK_Storage&hash=item25723680b3
Reply 15
Original post by littleone271
I'm taking a clothes rail because the wardrobes are so small! (I'm going to bedfordshire btw but I don't think I've seen any decent sized wardrobes at any of the halls I've been to)

Anyway my mum picked it up for a tenner or something from some quirky little shop that may or may not have been closing down (can't remember!) and this is basically an exact copy: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Habitat-small-chrome-sturdy-clothes-rail-/160829964467?pt=UK_Storage&hash=item25723680b3

Thats a genius i idea! My room is pretty bog so tey would be a good idea :smile: im moving to bristol so may wait till im there to defo see what i need an what i need to buy x
Reply 16
i saw my room before i moved in and knew there wasn't enough drawer space - huge wardrobe but only normal desk drawers. i got one of those tall, narrow plastic units and used it as a bedside table as well as drawers for clothes etc and it worked well despite having a pretty small room :smile:
Original post by lilyxx
Thats a genius i idea! My room is pretty bog so tey would be a good idea :smile: im moving to bristol so may wait till im there to defo see what i need an what i need to buy x

Yeah I thought so too! We have one in our house that my mum has always used for work (she used to make costumes for films and now she makes curtains) so I guess thats what gave her the idea. I really hope it fits.. if it's a little bit too big then I guess it'll be going back home again on moving in day and I'll just have to hang up my favourite stuff in the wardrobe and get a set of cheap plastic drawers for the every day stuff like jeans. It's really handy though because mine has wheels and the three bars at the base of it act as a shelf that you can put shoe boxes on so it's not a waste of floorspace at all!

Having said this... I have a feeling I won't actually be taking as many clothes as I think I will be because half my wardrobe is full of stuff that either doesn't fit me or that I'd probably never wear again lol I'm a bit of a hoarder! I find it really hard to part with stuff but I think I'd feel fine with leaving it at home.
Guys, it's not 'draws'.

'Drawers'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending