The Student Room Group

applying to KCL and UCL after two gap years?

i did my alevels in 2022 but didn’t get my desired grade for the subject i wanted to do at uni bc i got ill for the exam. got an offer from KCL but bc of the grade, couldn’t go. i was taking a gap year anyway so i decided to retake the exams (finished them today). i reapplied for UCL and KCL in january for the 2023 cycle but bc i had a previous application, UCAS cancelled my 2023 application & didn’t tell me. my application was reinstated only in march but by then it was too late tor UCL and KCL to accept me as the programme was full. i’m deciding to take another gap year bc i really want to go to UCL and KCL and plus because i want to travel and move to France for 6 months and possibly teach English there (that’s the degree i’m gonna be doing). how will UCL and KCL view this? is there a chance of them not considering me because of my two gap years? in my reference, my teachers will outline my extenuating circumstances about my illness during 2022 alevels as well as the UCAS issue so it should be fine, right? also i won’t be a mature student if i were to take another gap year, i’ll be 20.
Reply 1
Hey! I’ve taken 2 gap years having completed my A levels in 2021. I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do and so I’ve taken time out and I’m now going to Uni in September. I didn’t apply for KCL or UCL so I can’t speak regarding these unis specifically, but I definitely didn’t find that my 2 years out hindered me in any way during the application process. In fact, I found it actually benefitted me as I had more life experience to draw on in my personal statement and my interviews- I received unconditional offers from all my choices and I credit a lot of that to life experience gained during my gap years… I don’t think unis can or would penalise you for time taken out. Hope this is helpful and I hope all goes well for you when applying 😊
Original post by kaxxxxc2
i did my alevels in 2022 but didn’t get my desired grade for the subject i wanted to do at uni bc i got ill for the exam. got an offer from KCL but bc of the grade, couldn’t go. i was taking a gap year anyway so i decided to retake the exams (finished them today). i reapplied for UCL and KCL in january for the 2023 cycle but bc i had a previous application, UCAS cancelled my 2023 application & didn’t tell me. my application was reinstated only in march but by then it was too late tor UCL and KCL to accept me as the programme was full. i’m deciding to take another gap year bc i really want to go to UCL and KCL and plus because i want to travel and move to France for 6 months and possibly teach English there (that’s the degree i’m gonna be doing). how will UCL and KCL view this? is there a chance of them not considering me because of my two gap years? in my reference, my teachers will outline my extenuating circumstances about my illness during 2022 alevels as well as the UCAS issue so it should be fine, right? also i won’t be a mature student if i were to take another gap year, i’ll be 20.

Many people apply after one or more gap years, so I don't see why it should hinder you, especially because you will be explaining the reasons for taking them.
Reply 3
Original post by km003
Hey! I’ve taken 2 gap years having completed my A levels in 2021. I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do and so I’ve taken time out and I’m now going to Uni in September. I didn’t apply for KCL or UCL so I can’t speak regarding these unis specifically, but I definitely didn’t find that my 2 years out hindered me in any way during the application process. In fact, I found it actually benefitted me as I had more life experience to draw on in my personal statement and my interviews- I received unconditional offers from all my choices and I credit a lot of that to life experience gained during my gap years… I don’t think unis can or would penalise you for time taken out. Hope this is helpful and I hope all goes well for you when applying 😊

thank you so much!!💗 that’s really helpful and put my mind at ease lol
Reply 4
Original post by sleep_supremacy
Many people apply after one or more gap years, so I don't see why it should hinder you, especially because you will be explaining the reasons for taking them.

brill, thank you! 😊
Reply 5
Original post by km003

I’m so happy for you. I’m 25 and I’m scared that my time out of education will come against me. I haven’t sent my applications yet but I’m hoping it’ll be okay

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending