The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7980
Original post by ben-smith
yeah I paid something similar for STEP I-->III the other day. Nothing better than paying for your own misery:redface:

How come you're taking STEP I?
Original post by Star-girl
I will be - there's no time to waste if you want a good grade.

Don't you spend most of the time thinking?

I remember when I did STEP, I would spend a lot of the time thinking about how to do the question - the working out time wasn't a concern really, it was more about thinking how to get to the answer.

Original post by und
How come you're taking STEP I?

Even if you need II, III, if you took all three and got 1,1,2 then you'd be more likely to be let in, would you not?
Original post by SaraWarah

I remember when I did STEP, I would spend a lot of the time thinking about how to do the question - the working out time wasn't a concern really, it was more about thinking how to get to the answer.

I prefer to have my thoughts on the paper - it helps me organise them more.
Original post by Star-girl
I prefer to have my thoughts on the paper - it helps me organise them more.

Fair enough :yes:
Reply 7984
Original post by SaraWarah

One does enough writing in STEP for it to make a difference to how much time you have to think about other problems.
Original post by und
One does enough writing in STEP for it to make a difference to how much time you have to think about other problems.

Okay. I don't recall it being an issue for me, but it was a while ago :tongue:
Reply 7986
So it turns out we're not being taught (or entered for the exam :angry:) in FP3...

I have the textbook, but does anyone have any worthwhile resources for hyperbolic functions, and anything else that may be applicable to STEP?

Cheers,
Original post by nahomyemane778
thanks for replying in that mechanics thread- but i still dont understand how the tsr solution for the first part of step I 2000 q9 can be correct-

Hope this helps - sorry about my wonky writing :tongue:

img001.jpg
Original post by FO12DY
So it turns out we're not being taught (or entered for the exam :angry:) in FP3...

I have the textbook, but does anyone have any worthwhile resources for hyperbolic functions, and anything else that may be applicable to STEP?

Cheers,

There's these for the OCR (not MEI) Spec.
http://www.mathshelper.co.uk/OCR%20FP3%20Revision%20Sheet.pdf
http://www.mathshelper.co.uk/OCR%20FP2%20Revision%20Sheet.pdf
Getting to the stage where questions actually seem easy...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ThatRandomGuy
Teach me how to write upside down :tongue:

Lol I rotated the pic, but the thumbnail just LOVES it being upside down :tongue:
Reply 7991
Getting to the stage where questions actually seem easy...

STEP I or II and III also?
Original post by CD315
STEP I or II and III also?

I and II. I might give III a go sometime but I haven't done FP3.
Reply 7993
I and II. I might give III a go sometime but I haven't done FP3.

That's really good. I can't do a lot on II to be honest.

Haven't done any STEP in ages actually as I'm not sure if I'm going to be doing it yet.
Original post by CD315
That's really good. I can't do a lot on II to be honest.

Haven't done any STEP in ages actually as I'm not sure if I'm going to be doing it yet.

If I may ask what is it that makes you reluctant about Warwick/Imperial?
Original post by joostan
Hope this helps - sorry about my wonky writing :tongue:

img001.jpg

Thanks a lot for above post but:
1) for the horizontal motion of the shell why have you used the S=Ut+(1/2)at^2 when there is mutual agreement that the shell STOPS accelerating while the carriage and cannon continue to do so.
2) why is it ok to ignore the initial velocity of the carriage?
3)i dont really get the final paragraph about the relative acceleration.
On STEP III 2003 Q8, once you have the general derivative, why can't n+1=-1 be one of your equations and why do you have to divide by the n+1 instead?
Reply 7997
If I may ask what is it that makes you reluctant about Warwick/Imperial?

The prospect of staying close to home and also being able to focus on getting into a top actuarial job (whilst being certain about it). I also feel like I might struggle at those unis, whilst at QUB I'd be among the best and be able to stand out. They also have this scheme that they've agreed with a number of companies, where they give a summer internship to the top students (you have to apply and interview though, but 20 get selected each year) and firms like JP Morgan, Citibank etc take part.
Original post by CD315
The prospect of staying close to home and also being able to focus on getting into a top actuarial job (whilst being certain about it). I also feel like I might struggle at those unis, whilst at QUB I'd be among the best and be able to stand out. They also have this scheme that they've agreed with a number of companies, where they give a summer internship to the top students (you have to apply and interview though, but 20 get selected each year) and firms like JP Morgan, Citibank etc take part.

But surely in the grand scheme of things Imperial/Warwick puts you in a better position employment wise? Especially considering Warwick is a huge target uni.

Also a maths degree (especially considering the uni) will put you in good stead for pretty much any job in finance, the same can't be said about an actuarial science degree.
Just did Q9 on STEP II 2009. I got it all right apart from 2 division errors on the final part giving me a different answer. I hope that wouldnt cost me too many marks, since I did know what I was doing and did do the right thing :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending