The Student Room Group

Is Germany Really to Blame For World War One

Scroll to see replies

I'd question the sanity of anyone of believes that Germany should bear the whole responsibility for the outbreak of the First World War.
Blame Austria and the Balklans!
Suck my cock ya🍆😀
Europe was already covered in petrol awaiting a spark, all sides involved (especially Germany and Russia) but ultimately it was Germany that insisted on a clause requiring it to invade (forget the name of it now) - so Europe at fault, not just Germany.

War guilt clause an absolute humiliation however, which destroyed both the chances of democratic governance in Russia and Germany.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rmisra
Just want to get a debate started
incase you already dont know, germany recieved the war-guilt clause in 1919 stating they were to blame for the war.

Do you think this was fair, or would you say that perhaps it was Austria or the black hand gang's fault or even Europe in general for forming the triple entete and triple alliance and having such a fierce arms race etc etc.

Read the Myth of German Villainy - relatively cheap on Amazon kindle. Makes a pretty good case that they're unfairly blamed.
Original post by Fullsigma
Read the Myth of German Villainy - relatively cheap on Amazon kindle. Makes a pretty good case that they're unfairly blamed.

And anyone with halfway informed would identify it as Nazi apologist garbage within a few seconds.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by oldham_fran
There's no point in me repeating the role that Germany had in the origins of the First World War, as it's been clarified pretty well in the rest of this thread.

But Russia, Austria-Hungary and Serbia all played their parts.
Russia in particular had a point to prove. Having lost the Russo-Japanese War to a nation that was, at the time, viewed as a third world country was humiliating. Furthermore, the Bosnian Crisis and the Russian inability to continue her support of Serbia when threatened by Germany in turn threatened Russia's position as a 'Great Power.' And in the wake of massive defence spending and an increase in the size of the Army, Russia found herself in a position in 1914 to be able to back her political stance with military power.

In terms of Austria-Hungary, she was a power in decline. There was a very real threat of A-H replacing the Ottoman Empire as the 'sick man' of Europe, so backing down to the tiny nation that was Serbia in the wake of the assassination of Franz Ferdinand was unthinkable. A-H, similar to Russia, wanted to reaffirm her position as a Great Power. A-H had also had previous problems with Serbia such as the Pig War and the fact that Serbia opposed the annexation of Bosnia. As such, the issuing of the July Ultimatum to Serbia was as much solving the 'Serbian Problem' as it was revenge for Franz Ferdinand's death.

Serbia, on the other hand, was a firm advocate of Pan-Slavism and thus believed that Bosnia, as another Slav nation, should be under Serbian control, putting them at direct opposition to A-H during the Bosnian Crisis. Additionally, allowing A-H to annex Bosnia increased the Serbian fear that they would also become a protectorate nation.

So in regards to Serbia, A-H and Russia there were other underlying factors that contributed to their decision to go to war. Furthermore, none of Europe's Great Powers knew how a conflict that originated in the Balkans would pan out. The majority thought that the conflict would remain localised, hence the lack of any real attempt to solve the 1914 crisis. Subsequently, the Alliance system meant that each Great Power was dragged into conflict and meant that by the time war was declared, anything that France and Britain did could only be reactive rather than preventative.

So, to answer the OP's question, Germany must take it's fair share of the blame for the outbreak of World War One but there are plenty of other nations plus a few unfortunate factors that also contributed.

You raise very good points. I'm glad you made this post as it really does put almost everything into perspective. However, modern historiography looks at the alternative. That being, it acknowledges the role that Britain had to play in the starting of WWII. While not directly involved in the european affairs, Britain helped contruct the world that existed in 1914 and had an ongoing rivalry with Germany at the time which only served to exacerbate international tensions e.g. the Naval Arms Race that started in 1906. I don't study WWI but I know some that do and they say that this is actually the starting point of a "cold phase" or precursor to WWI itself.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 27
Because of it's geographical position and European wars, Germany had come late to the 19th C. "Scramble for Africa". She had also missed opportunities in The Far East and Central & South America. Britain, France, Spain, Portugal even little Holland and Belgium had their empires .. the Germans were an industrious people ... a proud nation
who had not "had their day" ... at least that's how the political and industrial leaders (i.e. the opinion setters) saw it. They deserved an empire and considering the "might is right" doctrine (which other European nations could be said to have employed), it was only "right" that they see what their destiny is by trying their best. If they didn't they would remain losers (or at least that's how they saw it.)
(edited 6 years ago)
By the time the Triple Entente and the Triple Alliance were formed, this foreshadows that a major war was going to happen in the first place.

The Agadir Crisis in 1911 between Germany and the French, British and the Spanish over Morocco escalated those tensions. With the assassination of the Archduke in 1914, it would be sensible for Austria-Hungary to deal with Serbia by itself but Germany chose to support Austria, along with Russia who went to the aid of Serbia and thus this all began. I'd personally blame Germany and Russia for stepping in and causing a chain reaction though France and Britain did declare war because the Germans disrupted the neutrality of Belgium and Luxembourg.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending