The Student Room Group

What Degrees could I do with these A Levels

Hello all

I am about to start college and unlike most people I dont really want to take science or maths. I am more into the other subjects that people don't seem to take e.g. Classics and Geology anyway what could I do at University if I choose 3/4 of these A levels listed below:

Ancient History: Classical Civilisation
Geology
Religious Studies (Philosophy and Ethics)
Psychology
Economics
Geography
History

So which ones would I pick and what degrees could I do with them?

Thanks.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
7 A Levels? I wouldn't recommend that.
Reply 2
Original post by Giant
7 A Levels? I wouldn't recommend that.

Huh? oh no sorry they are the a levels I would choose from I would only take 3/4.
Geography, history and econ + any other would be a strong combination. Further, economics and geography overlap quite a lot (or so im told).
With that you could do:
Law
History
Geography
Arch and anth

Probably loads more, those are just te ones that came to my mind :smile:
Reply 4
Out of those subjects your best option is Ecos, Geo and History. If you could do maths maybe even at AS level it would help alot.
Reply 5
I think they all all good A-levels respectively. But I think only you can choose 4 at the end of of the day :smile: Does your college/sixth form have a subject prospectus? Choose four that are of interest you, there is nothing worse than spending a year doing a subject you detest...trust me:tongue:

Degree wise, I'm not sure- you could do Law perhaps? If you chose Economics, History, Psychology and Religious Studies? Or a degree in Ancient History, Archaeology, Classics, or Theology?
Reply 6
Original post by Username4444
Hello all

I am about to start college and unlike most people I dont really want to take science or maths. I am more into the other subjects that people don't seem to take e.g. Classics and Geology anyway what could I do at University if I choose 3/4 of these A levels listed below:

Geology
Psychology
Economics
Geography
History

Thanks.

I would recommend taking psychology, purely because some universities do count that as a science subject. It could definitely open a few doors when it comes to choosing what you want to do at uni.
Reply 7
First decide what you want to study, then choose A-levels accordingly.

Geology and Classics could hardly be more different.
Reply 8
Thanks everyone for all the great ideas. Theology really intrests me. as for Maths I don't know.. My college does offer Use of Mathmatics? That seems fairly intresting. I don't know if it is respected though and if it would help me for University.
You could do most arts degrees, but probably no science degrees, basically. I'd recommend taking 3 of them maybe history, geography, economics, or 3 with a science subject (opens options if you take maths even at AS). 4 of the ones you've named would be fine but you'll likely be looking at a lot of coursework.
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks everyone for all the great ideas. Theology really intrests me. as for Maths I don't know.. My college does offer Use of Mathmatics? That seems fairly intresting. I don't know if it is respected though and if it would help me for University.

Don't want to sound too harsh but I seriously doubt it tbh

My college does offer Use of Mathmatics? That seems fairly intresting. I don't know if it is respected though and if it would help me for University.

Yeah, don't do that. If universities want to see that you can use maths they'll be looking for an A level in maths, and sciences like chemistry and physics.
Reply 12

I was just saying maths because, if you do it, then business options open up such as accounting and finance, and economics. And you can still do all the other things listed there.
Reply 13
I'm not really into the proper sciences or maths really and I wouldn't want to take something I don't want to as I may not do well in it. I am willing to decide on other A Levels other than the ones I listed.
Hello all

Geology
Psychology
Economics
Geography
History

Thanks.

I think you could potentially do some interesting A-levels... most of those you've listed are in the top band of "suitability" according to http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604.

Out of those, I'd personally go for Economics, Geography and Ancient History (although I'd probably do maths too to keep the door open to study economics at university in case I loved it).
Reply 15
Original post by Astronomical
I think you could potentially do some interesting A-levels... most of those you've listed are in the top band of "suitability" according to http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604.

Out of those, I'd personally go for Economics, Geography and Ancient History (although I'd probably do maths too to keep the door open to study economics at university in case I loved it).

It seems everyone thinks Maths would be good to take in addition to some of these.. I may consider taking it then but I would be scared of getting a low grade. I just want to make sure I do well in all my subjects.
It seems everyone thinks Maths would be good to take in addition to some of these.. I may consider taking it then but I would be scared of getting a low grade. I just want to make sure I do well in all my subjects.

Of course, it is imperative to get the best results you can, so if you really struggle with maths, it's probably best avoided. If you don't though, I'd suggest trying it for a few weeks at the very least as it would definitely give you many more options for your degree choice.

On the other hand if you're dead set on doing something like history or philosophy at university, math's probably wouldn't be as helpful as RS (or perhaps both history A-levels :eek:). At the end of the day, you just have to try and give yourself the best opportunity at the next stage, which is UCAS.
Reply 17
Original post by Astronomical
Of course, it is imperative to get the best results you can, so if you really struggle with maths, it's probably best avoided. If you don't though, I'd suggest trying it for a few weeks at the very least as it would definitely give you many more options for your degree choice.

On the other hand if you're dead set on doing something like history or philosophy at university, math's probably wouldn't be as helpful as RS (or perhaps both history A-levels :eek:). At the end of the day, you just have to try and give yourself the best opportunity at the next stage, which is UCAS.

I am alright with maths. I had a look on UCAS for theology and some Universities and none of them ask for specific A Levels although Religous Studies and History are helpful so would these be a good choice?

Religious Studies
History/Economics
Psychology
Can't think of a fourth may just take EPQ.
If you've got three strong subjects eg Geography, History and Economics/Ancient History, I'd recommend Psychology as a fourth, even if you just take it to AS - it's very interesting and enjoyable and as someone else said, some universities see it as a science, which will help make your application stronger :smile: or just do it as a full A Level because it's quite easy until the last exam :colone: :emo:
(edited 11 years ago)
I am alright with maths. I had a look on UCAS for theology and some Universities and none of them ask for specific A Levels although Religous Studies and History are helpful so would these be a good choice?

Religious Studies
History/Economics
Psychology
Can't think of a fourth may just take EPQ.

So is theology what you think you'll end up studying at university? I think those 4 you've listed would be adequate in that case. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending