The Student Room Group

Psychology with Counselling degree Open Uni, followed by counselling training

Hello,

I am about to apply for the Psychology and Counselling degree with the Open Uni. My question is for those who have completed this degree and then gone onto to train as a counsellor.
Once you have obtained this degree are you able to go straight to level 3 certificate in counselling? Or do you need to do level 2 first? I am not sure if the degree counts towards this.
I am aware that I could go straight into counselling without the degree but would like more options and a good foundation in psychology.
Also has anyone done this degree and the counselling training at the same time?
I am 36 with kids and a business so I will be studying part time but am keen to get as much done as possible due to my age! My degree won’t start until October so I am wondering if it’s worth trying to fit a level 2 counselling cert in now before I begin the degree if it’s something that will be required later.

Any advice greatly appreciated! Many thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Lw2024
Hello,

I am about to apply for the Psychology and Counselling degree with the Open Uni. My question is for those who have completed this degree and then gone onto to train as a counsellor.
Once you have obtained this degree are you able to go straight to level 3 certificate in counselling? Or do you need to do level 2 first? I am not sure if the degree counts towards this.
I am aware that I could go straight into counselling without the degree but would like more options and a good foundation in psychology.
I am 36 with kids and a business so I will be studying part time but am keen to get as much done as possible due to my age! My degree won’t start until October so I am wondering if it’s worth trying to fit a level 2 counselling cert in now before I begin the degree if it’s something that will be required later.

This is exactly what I did. I didn't have to complete a level 2 counselling qualification after the degree, they allowed me to start at level 3. I also did my level 3 certificate alongside my final year of the degree (I also studied part-time).

I have since qualified as a counsellor and then trained as a high intensity CBT Therapist, which is what I am doing now :smile:

Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by Nerol
Original post by Lw2024
Hello,

This is exactly what I did. I didn't have to complete a level 2 counselling qualification after the degree, they allowed me to start at level 3. I also did my level 3 certificate alongside my final year of the degree (I also studied part-time).

I have since qualified as a counsellor and then trained as a high intensity CBT Therapist, which is what I am doing now :smile:

Hope this helps!

Thanks for this Nerol. This and many of your other answers have been very helpful for me. Can I ask where did you go on to do the level 3?
I have enquired with a local college (in London) about this today but they say they would still need me to do the level 2. Perhaps because I don’t hold any previous experience or qualifications in this field? I am currently in the process of looking for relevant voluntary work so hope that will help for the future.
I just can’t figure out if it’s worth me trying to find a level 2 course that would begin soon so that I could get a head start before the degree begins in October.

Thanks again 😊
Reply 3
Original post by Nerol
Original post by Lw2024
Hello,

Hope this helps!

Also well done on your achievements..This is very inspiring for me!
Reply 4
Original post by Lw2024

Hope this helps!

Thanks for this Nerol. This and many of your other answers have been very helpful for me. Can I ask where did you go on to do the level 3?
I have enquired with a local college (in London) about this today but they say they would still need me to do the level 2. Perhaps because I don’t hold any previous experience or qualifications in this field? I am currently in the process of looking for relevant voluntary work so hope that will help for the future.
I just can’t figure out if it’s worth me trying to find a level 2 course that would begin soon so that I could get a head start before the degree begins in October.

Thanks again 😊
I did my level 3 at a local college in West Yorkshire. I had been working in a relevant field as well, so maybe that helped me out. You could look into online level 2 courses, which should be enough alongside your degree, just in case you do end up needing this. Level 2 courses tend to be quite short, I think, so might be worth doing anyway.
Reply 5
Original post by Lw2024
Hello,

Hey! I am starting this same degree in October. Message me if you want to chat about future studies :smile:
Reply 6
I actually did the first year of my counselling degree at a brick uni, a BA Hons in Counselling, but now switching to the open university doing psychology with Counselling as I much prefer Psychology to Counselling myself. But can always go back to the counselling in the future. Just for me I prefer science based subjects and love the flexibility of home study.

I am interested in CBT so I might train in that afterwards. Nerol’s story is really inspiring.

Thanks for this thread x
Reply 7
Original post by KaleyO
I actually did the first year of my counselling degree at a brick uni, a BA Hons in Counselling, but now switching to the open university doing psychology with Counselling as I much prefer Psychology to Counselling myself. But can always go back to the counselling in the future. Just for me I prefer science based subjects and love the flexibility of home study.
I am interested in CBT so I might train in that afterwards. Nerol’s story is really inspiring.
Thanks for this thread x

Hi Kaley! Thanks for your post, I will msg you. It’s great to hear about other students plans and interests. Yes I too am looking forward to gaining a good foundation in psychology and find the subject fascinating. Flexibility is a must for me and I have heard some great things about studying with the OU and this course.
Nerol’s story IS so inspiring and helpful to hear! I’m now starting a Lv2 counselling skills course next month which will end just before the degree begins. Can’t wait to get going!

Quick Reply

Latest