The Student Room Group

Worried about being short at uni.

I'm 18, a guy and 5 foot 4. Everyone at my school is taller than me by half a foot or more. I'm worried that when I start uni this September that everyone will be even more taller than me and treat me like a kid because I'm so short! Are there many short people at uni? :colondollar:
Original post by Flyteryder
I'm 18, a guy and 5 foot 4. Everyone at my school is taller than me by half a foot or more. I'm worried that when I start uni this September that everyone will be even more taller than me and treat me like a kid because I'm so short! Are there many short people at uni? :colondollar:

People at uni come in all shapes and sizes you'll be fine. I've fit in well and I'm only 5'6 and quite a few of my friends are similar sizes and they've had no problems. You are likely to get asked for ID quite a lot though I did at my local shop and that was only to get a lucky dip on the Euromillions!
Original post by LuisSuarez7
People at uni come in all shapes and sizes you'll be fine. I've fit in well and I'm only 5'6 and quite a few of my friends are similar sizes and they've had no problems. You are likely to get asked for ID quite a lot though I did at my local shop and that was only to get a lucky dip on the Euromillions!

I'm 5"6 aswell but I'm 16 so hopefully I'll still grow some more?
i'm 19 and 4'10", go figure
Original post by ironandwine

You and OP should maybe hook up?
Reply 5

Stupid question, no? There aren't usually many short people anywhere because to be 'short' you've gotta be smaller than average.

I know a few short people, mostly from South America, they're fine with it. Not like you can do anything asides wear some ultra faggot 70s platform shoes.
Reply 6
Original post by Miracle Day
You and OP should maybe hook up?

Ha, from the looks of ironandwine's avatar she's the wrong gender for me.

You'll probably grow some more. I just over 5 foot when I was 16.
Reply 7
Dude I'm just 3ft and I'm one of the tallest guys in uni, don't worry you'll be fine!
Reply 8
Original post by ironandwine

With a rocking body like that, nobody cares!

OP, I didn't stop growing until I was 20/21. Was probably about 5'9" at 18, 6'3" now. There will be loads of people your height, some shorter, some taller.
Reply 9
I know two short guys at uni. One is pretty good looking and popular, he's on the rugby team so that probably helps. The other...looks about 12. But he's really cool, and has lots of friends too.
Original post by Miracle Day
I'm 5"6 aswell but I'm 16 so hopefully I'll still grow some more?

Yeah you've got a few years of growing yet. I on the other hand am 21 so am stuck at 5'6.
I'm 4'10, and I've never had any problems with being short at uni (or at work, or whilst travelling, or in any situation other than buying trousers). Yes, I still get ID'd - but as I'm under 21 I'd expect that anyway.

Worrying about your height isn't going to change anything, so you may as well get on with your life and make the best of things.
Original post by kristol90
Dude I'm just 3ft and I'm one of the tallest guys in uni, don't worry you'll be fine!

In the University of Smurfs?
Reply 13
Im small and look too young, uni next year should be fun.
I'm only 5'6" and I look pretty young. I didn't get treated like a kid. I got treated the same as everyone else.

You'll be fine.
Original post by Granger
Im small and look too young, uni next year should be fun.

I've found it to be fine, although I did once have a random local start questioning me about my student status ("but you look too young") whilst I was stood at a bus stop on campus - he wouldn't believe I was a student until I'd produced my uni ID!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending