The Student Room Group

Dress code at uni?

Hi! I'm an international student starting university this autumn and just wondering what is normal/appropriate to wear to uni in the UK? I usually dress pretty casually. Do people wear things like event t-shirts and (in summer) shorts, or would that make a bad impression? Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! I'm an international student starting university this autumn and just wondering what is normal/appropriate to wear to uni in the UK? I usually dress pretty casually. Do people wear things like event t-shirts and (in summer) shorts, or would that make a bad impression? Thanks in advance!

Absolutely normal for students to dress casually,jeans,hoodies,T shirts etc.
Reply 2
Trackie bottoms, trainers - pretty much what you want to wear really.
Hey there,

Do not worry university dress is usually casual and not formal. Most people wear jeans, t-shirts and trackies. It will be acceptable to wear shorts in the summer. It is essential for you to be you and feel comfortable whilst you are studying.

Good luck!

ARU Dee
Student Digital Ambassador

No formal dress code whatsoever

If you look on your university and student union social media there will normally be videos of staff and students on campus/university buildings that will show you how they dress.

Generally both students and staff are incredibly casual and scruffy :biggrin:

You can wear what ever you want t shirts are very common shorts if it’s hot are also quite common jeans and hoodies are very common also get. A good jacket (probably worth buying over here.) as it can get very cold here in the winter.
(edited 10 months ago)

People in UK unis will literally show up to lectures in pyjamas and onesies. T-shirt and shorts is totally fine!

Hi!

Congratulations on getting into uni!

There is typically no dress code, you can dress as casually or as fancy as you like, it’s your own personal preference! As long as it isn’t anything too inappropriate, you should be fine.

Best of luck with your degree! :smile:

Estelle
Second Year Psychology Student
University of Huddersfield

Congratulations on getting your placement :smile: where are you going to be studying?

I ask about the location because weather conditions vary quite dramatically in different parts of the UK :biggrin: so warmer clothing might be needed depending on where you are from and what you are used to. Like everyone has said, there is no dress code for university. It's a great place to explore your own personal style and to be comfortable however you like to present yourself.

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley

Hey there!
It's completely normal to wear whatever you want at university. The majority of people do dress modestly to some extent but during summer people definitely do wear shorts, skirts and dresses to classes. Event T-shirts are absolutely fine, I've seen loads of people in them. Honestly, you should see some of the states I've turned up to 9AM lectures in. I really wouldn't worry about what you're going to wear. You could try and dress casual for the first week and then see what everyone else is doing just to reassure yourself. Then you could go from there. But, if you're asking whether people will be turning up in smart clothes they won't be. The smartest it gets at university is a pair of jeans :smile:

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 11
Thank you all!
Reply 12
Original post by PQ
If you look on your university and student union social media there will normally be videos of staff and students on campus/university buildings that will show you how they dress.

Generally both students and staff are incredibly casual and scruffy :biggrin:

Thanks, I'll look :biggrin:

Hi there, :smile:

Great to hear you are starting university soon! There isn't really a dress code at university so I'd wear what you are most comfortable in.

Best of luck! :smile:
Sarah

Preppy look

Don’t worry at all, almost all uni students dress very casual all the time other than maybe for formal events

Hi there,

People totally dress casually! Sometimes it depends on the event, like what the lecturer is teaching if it's more of a clinical skills for example in nursing or medicine you may be required to dress smart or wear scrubs/uniform. But to lectures and things people wear tracksuits, jeans and t-shirts etc.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y3 Medical Student
University of Sunderland
Digital Ambassador
Hi there!

To second advice so far - the only dress code I've ever seen for general university days is 'there is no dress code!' Even at a university such as Bath which is well-known for sports, the majority of students on campus do not dress in sports tops or sports-themed t-shirts etc - people are generally accepting of everyone's individual styles as long as its all appropriate. I've seen a lot of different styles from very casual tracksuits and hoodies with converses to those who like dark clothes, eye makeup, coloured hair, band t-shirts and combat trousers! I even had one particular lecturer who made a point of turning up to each lecture in a t-shirt with a funny, topical slogan on it, and another who wore a leather jacket. In my experience people are very rarely judgemental and so its whatever makes you comfortable :smile:

I hope that helps!

Holly
University of Bath

Hiya,

I also worried about this and remember making a little effort on my first day of uni! I was surprised and relived to see that there is no formal dress code for uni. Casual wear is absolutely fine. Wear what makes you feel comfortable, especially on your first day! Don’t put any extra pressure on yourself when you don’t have too :smile:

Depending on your chosen course you might have uniform for skills days. This is the case at ARU. When the healthcare courses have their practical skills days we are provided with a uniform. If your course doesn’t have skills days then I’m sure this won’t be a thing!

Good luck with your first day! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :smile:

Sophie (ARU)

Hello!
I'm one of the student ambassadors here at Coventry University.
Usually you'll find that most students wear comfy, casual clothes such as jeans, jumpers, hoodies and t-shirts, this is all down to personal preference and what will ensure that you feel comfortable enough to sit in a lecture hall and be able to concentrate.
You will find that students dress very casually, and there is no expectation for you to dress any which way! It's all personal preference

Kind regards,
Courtney H

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending