The Student Room Group

Failing my A-Levels (year 13)

Hello :smile: I'll try to make this as short as possible since nobody wants to read chunky paragraphs about all the little details.

So, I'm currently in the middle of my A-level exams. I'm done with psychology by now and I still have chemistry and biology to get through. Psychology was always a safe subjects for me so I'm not too worried about it, my relationship with the other two, however, was a bit of a love-hate one.

I'd really like to do biochemistry at uni, my firm choice wants BBC (Bs from bio and chem) which, realistically, I'm not going to get. My insurance choice wants lower grades but it's a forensic science course which I no longer want to do, so even if I get in, I'll decline it.

I'll most likely end up in clearing since I really don't see myself retaking my A-levels. I need a change of environment, I need to move out and just move on. Therefore I'll probably have to apply for a foundation course through clearing and I wanted to ask if any of you have any experiences with such solutions?

I also want to add that I'm not being pessimistic, I'm not too stressed (which for me is a new thing, let me tell you) about those results either. I know why things went the way they did and I know I'm not dumb academically, the circumstances throughout my A-levels just weren't ideal. I'm just looking for some advice since communication with my school is awful and no matter how much I try it's not getting anywhere plus pretty much none of my friends are going uni so I'm a bit lost.

I'd really appreciate some suggestions and I guess someone just telling me it'll all work out in the end. Thanks a lot for reading :smile:
i know you said youre not being pessimistic, but a B is just 50-55%. It is very achievable. If you know all the content for chem then you will be fine. You could always accept your insurance offer and switch courses but email and ask them if you can do this. And yes everything will work out in the end. Just focus on the exams for now - 2 weeks left!
Reply 2
Original post by user8937264980
i know you said youre not being pessimistic, but a B is just 50-55%. It is very achievable. If you know all the content for chem then you will be fine. You could always accept your insurance offer and switch courses but email and ask them if you can do this. And yes everything will work out in the end. Just focus on the exams for now - 2 weeks left!

Thanks for replying :smile: I know I don't need much for a B but looking at the grades I've been getting towards the end of year 13 it just does not seem likely that I'll get that much. With changing courses the problem is that the uni doesn't do biochemistry, I've already thought about that :/
Original post by j3lly_f1sh
Thanks for replying :smile: I know I don't need much for a B but looking at the grades I've been getting towards the end of year 13 it just does not seem likely that I'll get that much. With changing courses the problem is that the uni doesn't do biochemistry, I've already thought about that :/

No worries. Just do the best you can so you can feel proud of yourself. Hope everything is ok regarding those circumstances. I do chem a level too and there was a period I thought it was like a different language lol. Do as much revision as you can, I'd prioritise learning the content such as organic mechanisms and different tests. If you learn that I think a B is achievable.
Reply 4
Original post by user8937264980
No worries. Just do the best you can so you can feel proud of yourself. Hope everything is ok regarding those circumstances. I do chem a level too and there was a period I thought it was like a different language lol. Do as much revision as you can, I'd prioritise learning the content such as organic mechanisms and different tests. If you learn that I think a B is achievable.

Yea I'm really struggling with revision right now, I'm trying my best to just memorise the key bits etc but it's like my brain is just burned out :,) May I ask what exam board you're doing? (I'm doing OCR A)
AQA. If you feel burnt out and arent processing stuff its better to rest. maybe try some practice questions as sometimes you can just do these without much thought
Reply 6
hey, just coming back to give a lil update in case anyone's interested, i got terrible grades (and i really mean terrible), but i somehow managed to get accepted into my firm choice uni :') although i had a list of clearing numbers ready just in case, so yeah i guess lesson from this is - be prepared, but also stay optimistic as you might just get lucky :'D
Reply 7
Original post by j3lly_f1sh
hey, just coming back to give a lil update in case anyone's interested, i got terrible grades (and i really mean terrible), but i somehow managed to get accepted into my firm choice uni :') although i had a list of clearing numbers ready just in case, so yeah i guess lesson from this is - be prepared, but also stay optimistic as you might just get lucky :'D

that's awesome man! hope uni treats you well :smile:
Reply 8
thank you! <3

Quick Reply

Latest