The Student Room Group

Engineering preperation - magazines

Hi, I'm just starting A2s (Physics, further maths, chemistry) and im looking at applying to do civil, structural or just general engineering at Sheffield, Cambridge, Bristol, Bath, Cardiff. (current options, in order of preference).

So, I want to increase my chances of getting a place. I'm doing lots of work experience, leadership and team work at the moment but i want to read around the subject more. Any idea of any magazines to subscribe to or books to read? Thanks very much.
You can also take a look at the recommended reading list for Cambridge. Some of the books/articles listed can be downloaded for free. Personally, I enjoyed The evolution of useful things by Henry Petroski (I'm not sure if it's on the list).
Reply 3

Thanks very much, seem like good stuff :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ounce
You can also take a look at the recommended reading list for Cambridge. Some of the books/articles listed can be downloaded for free. Personally, I enjoyed The evolution of useful things by Henry Petroski (I'm not sure if it's on the list).

Wow, thank you all of them seem very good and one of the books that is a free download is perfect for my EPQ project as well! Thanks very much and I will check out that book you recommended.
Reply 5
Oh my gosh, I needed a post like this too :biggrin:.
I'm gonna do mechanical Enfineering.

Yeah IET is good, maybe new scientist.

Where are you doing work experience? I'm finding it hard to find any
Reply 6
I liked Invention by Design by Petroski; covers the basic principles of everyday objects, a nice introduction to engineering.
Reply 7
And how can I do an EPQ?
Reply 8
Original post by Ivorito
Hi, I'm just starting A2s (Physics, further maths, chemistry) and im looking at applying to do civil, structural or just general engineering at Sheffield, Cambridge, Bristol, Bath, Cardiff. (current options, in order of preference).

So, I want to increase my chances of getting a place. I'm doing lots of work experience, leadership and team work at the moment but i want to read around the subject more. Any idea of any magazines to subscribe to or books to read? Thanks very much.

Hi, I dont know if this has already been posted, but Ingenia by the royal academy of engineering is a good magazine to subscribe to. it is quarterly I think and Its also free which is a bonus!!
It has articles on all types of engineering so its not entirely focused on civil unfortunately, but the last issue had some great stuff on the olympic venues which was interesting :smile:

Links:
http://www.raeng.org.uk/news/publications/ingenia/default.htm
http://www.ingenia.org.uk/

As for books, I read several by Mario Salvadori, called something like "why buildings fall down" and "why buildings stand up" etc. Its a bit cliched to put on a PS but if your interviewed you can bring up some of the things in them to chat about. Also, I guess you like this stuff seeing as your planning a degree in it, so they are actually fun to read :P
Reply 9
Original post by Ivorito

what work experience are you doing?
Reply 10
I would recommend reading and studying K.A Stroud's Engineering mathematics and advanced mathematics text books. They're useful for all engineering courses and cover a vast quantity of the maths covered in the degree, which of course if a keystone of the whole course.
Original post by Luna.
I liked Invention by Design by Petroski; covers the basic principles of everyday objects, a nice introduction to engineering.

Aye, I read that one, long ago... :moon:

Original post by Ollie F
I would recommend reading and studying K.A Stroud's Engineering mathematics and advanced mathematics text books. They're useful for all engineering courses and cover a vast quantity of the maths covered in the degree, which of course if a keystone of the whole course.

I'd leave the studying until you're at uni :p:
Reply 12
Original post by + polarity -
Aye, I read that one, long ago... :moon:

I'd leave the studying until you're at uni :p:

It's reading around the subject and Maths is central to engineering. It's not all invention and crazy new ideas.

If you want to read around Engineering, read K.A Stroud and/or Euclids Elements. They're fantastic reads.
Reply 13
Original post by chill543
what work experience are you doing?

Sorry about the wait,
Maybe not lots of work experience but so far I have done one week with structural engineering contractors, another week with structural engineers in a larger office and this summer I am doing the "nuffield bursary". Basically, 4 weeks of work experience/internship over the summer holidays. Working on a project to help the company and writing a report and everything. Im doing mine with a chemical engineering company but focusing on the delivery and particularly fluids and fluid dynamics. Its not exactly what I want to do but is somewhat related but the main thing is the experience of doing research and report writing similar to what I may do at uni. Also should be fun (really looking forward to it)
Reply 14
Original post by Ivorito
Sorry about the wait,
Maybe not lots of work experience but so far I have done one week with structural engineering contractors, another week with structural engineers in a larger office and this summer I am doing the "nuffield bursary". Basically, 4 weeks of work experience/internship over the summer holidays. Working on a project to help the company and writing a report and everything. Im doing mine with a chemical engineering company but focusing on the delivery and particularly fluids and fluid dynamics. Its not exactly what I want to do but is somewhat related but the main thing is the experience of doing research and report writing similar to what I may do at uni. Also should be fun (really looking forward to it)

no problem mate, but how did you come across such opertunity?

- really intrested beacause i was looking for this type of experience ( chem engineering specifically ) but didnt even think there would be any, were did you find it?

but mate, have fun, and report back!!
sounds like a good opertunity, you must have worked hard for it seriously..good luck :smile:

(what did you do at the structural engineering and how did you apply? did you just ask a local place or.......? )
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by chill543
no problem mate, but how did you come across such opertunity?

- really intrested beacause i was looking for this type of experience ( chem engineering specifically ) but didnt even think there would be any, were did you find it?

but mate, have fun, and report back!!
sounds like a good opertunity, you must have worked hard for it seriously..good luck :smile:

(what did you do at the structural engineering and how did you apply? did you just ask a local place or.......? )

Sure I'll keep you posted, also after my summer holiday placement i will be sure to tell you how it went. I did one of the structural placements in year 10 so quite a while back and one a few weeks ago. Basically just emailed them and asked if that was okay. Both of these placements were done in designated "work experience weeks" at school but I found the places on my own.
I applied for the nuffield bursary work experience and a co-ordinator found the placements for us. More information can be found here:
http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/science-bursaries-schools-and-colleges

(It is too late for this year so if you are in year 11 atm, going to year 12 it will be okay for next year but too late for year 12s atm)

Mine is in a local science park, so if you are looking for other placements just search the hell out of google.

Thanks
Reply 16
Original post by Nia_Beth
Oh my gosh, I needed a post like this too :biggrin:.
I'm gonna do mechanical Enfineering.

Yeah IET is good, maybe new scientist.

Where are you doing work experience? I'm finding it hard to find any

Hi there, sorry about the wait, I talked about my work experience on another post so if you want some info have a look at that.

On the EPQ side of life talk to someone at your school and check that it is possible. We are with AQA. If you do not know about it, basically we do in-depth research on a topic of choice. Throughout the project you have to have meetings with a supervisor and have to fill in a logbook (which is assesed). Once you have finished you write a report thing as well as present it.

One thing, is IET understandable for an engineering noob like myself who hasnt started UNI?

Quick Reply

Latest