The Student Room Group

Could the UK become a part of America?

Scroll to see replies

UK is fine itself..UK is very much developed country, there is no need to be a part of any country for UK. But UK can make his contribution for any country in case of any help.

I love UK
Reply 21
We have more in common with the French than anyone. America and Britain are two countries divided by a common language.
Reply 22
If you really want to decrease your living standards, health care, education, increase crime, everything else in-between, then by all means embrace the United States. But I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't dream of that. The UK has far more in common with the EU and all commonwealth countries than it does with the US.

If you want just one recent example of the absurdity there, consider the new abortion law in Mississippi. The new law effectively forces the last abortion clinic in the state to shut down by imposing draconian requirements for a professional to carry out abortions (e.g. must have admitting privileges at all local hospitals - not going to happen in a country where the majority of hospitals are owned by religious institutions). I imagine most people in the UK don't want those sort of issues.
Reply 23
I would never want to see this happen, and why would it? We're miles away from the United States, plus why would our government want to give away sovereignty to the United States of all places?

Their government system is different to our,s; they're a republic which is complete different compared to our constitutional monarchy system, which is also shared with a decent amount of other countries throughout the Commonwealth (e.g. Canada, Australia, New Zealand).

It's pretty much a stupid question and would never happen. As an island nation, we've done fine for a thousand years and more, there's no need to become a part of them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Absolutely not; we must focus on sorting out our economy, our laws and on fixing the shambles that is the welfare state. Becoming an American State would not help us to achieve these goals, and would bring upon us new obligations we can do without.
Reply 25
Original post by jco19
If you really want to decrease your living standards, health care, education, increase crime, everything else in-between, then by all means embrace the United States. But I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't dream of that. The UK has far more in common with the EU and all commonwealth countries than it does with the US.

If you want just one recent example of the absurdity there, consider the new abortion law in Mississippi. The new law effectively forces the last abortion clinic in the state to shut down by imposing draconian requirements for a professional to carry out abortions (e.g. must have admitting privileges at all local hospitals - not going to happen in a country where the majority of hospitals are owned by religious institutions). I imagine most people in the UK don't want those sort of issues.

I hope you understand that there are states with much more liberal laws in the US than those in the UK concerning abortion etc . I am pretty sure many residents of New Jersey or Massachussetts are just as abhorred and ashamed of certain laws in Alabama or Mississipi as you are.

Such a union is possible and very feasible but just not realistic imo
Original post by aarora
I hope so, just so I can enjoy some American food :biggrin:

Like burgers and chips?
Reply 27
Original post by Politricks
Like burgers and chips?

Don't u mean "fries" :awesome:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 28
Original post by bkeevin
I hope you understand that there are states with much more liberal laws in the US than those in the UK concerning abortion etc . I am pretty sure many residents of New Jersey or Massachussetts are just as abhorred and ashamed of certain laws in Alabama or Mississipi as you are.

Such a union is possible and very feasible but just not realistic imo

I definitely agree with you there. The Northeast is for the most part in line with the rest of the developed world, as well as the west coast in terms of social policy. The problem is everything in between, and especially the south. So it's great that parts of the US are civilized, but ultimately, if someone like George W. Bush is elected, they're pretty much screwed in all 50 states.
Reply 29
Original post by jco19
I definitely agree with you there. The Northeast is for the most part in line with the rest of the developed world, as well as the west coast in terms of social policy. The problem is everything in between, and especially the south. So it's great that parts of the US are civilized, but ultimately, if someone like George W. Bush is elected, they're pretty much screwed in all 50 states.

I heard many lefties saying similar things about Britain electing Thatcher, Blair or Cameron.:tongue: The way the voters behave in Southern England can be so different from voters oop north or in Scotland. All the country is pretty screwed because we put those people in charge:biggrin:
Original post by megan.c
and plug sockets are the same.

No they aren't.
Original post by Astronomical
Absolutely not; we must focus on sorting out our economy, our laws and on fixing the shambles that is the welfare state. Becoming an American State would not help us to achieve these goals, and would bring upon us new obligations we can do without.

Like what?

Plus if anything, being a part of the US would help with some of that. Why bother spending so much on the NHS if the rest of the country doesn't have it anyway? Why bother spending so much on welfare if the rest of the country doesn't?

Not that I would remotely support joining the US though.

Original post by Good bloke
No they aren't.

Really? Where are they different? I always assumed they were the same across the country - I've never heard of anyone needing a different adapter.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by callum9999

Really? Where are they different? I always assumed they were the same across the country - I've never heard of anyone needing a different adapter.

I think I misunderstood what she was saying. I took her post to mean that sockets in the USA are the same as those in Britain.
Original post by Good bloke
I think I misunderstood what she was saying. I took her post to mean that sockets in the USA are the same as those in Britain.

Ah, I thought you might have. Though I thought it was a bit weird you'd specify the plugs as being different when our currency and, to a certain degree, system of measurements is different as well!
Reply 34
Original post by R4INBOW
Don't u mean "fries" :awesome:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

No he actually meant ''freedom fries'' :tongue:
Reply 35
Ah, I thought you might have. Though I thought it was a bit weird you'd specify the plugs as being different when our currency and, to a certain degree, system of measurements is different as well!

Talking about currency, who'd want to give up the oldest one still in use (albeit decimalised)? :3
Original post by Xæthon
Talking about currency, who'd want to give up the oldest one still in use (albeit decimalised)? :3

Not a popular opinion I know, but I personally wouldn't mind switching to the Euro for convenience sake. It being "the oldest still in use" is utterly meaningless and irrelevant to me!
This same thread comes up time and time again with almost pin point precise regularity, with the usual suspects propping up like DYAKIA or whatever his username is, and we all resolutely conclude that the UK joining the US in any form, either as a wider union or as a 51st state would be exceptionally retarded with neither party particularly benefiting from it. Can't we skip to the end already?

You can be 'anti-EU' without advocating that we abandon our entire identity in favour of piggybacking onto the United States for Christ sake. Cutting off your nose to spite your face much.
(edited 11 years ago)
Not a popular opinion I know, but I personally wouldn't mind switching to the Euro for convenience sake. It being "the oldest still in use" is utterly meaningless and irrelevant to me!

Ask a Greek how convenient it is. I think you must have seen the inconvenience caused to a population in having a currency that its government cannot control (or even strongly influence).
Reply 39
the UK becoming part of america is pretty much my worst-case scenario. i think i'd leave.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending