The Student Room Group

Psych career path and studying abroad

This year I graduated with a degree in BSc psych and criminology. Which was BPS accredited. I have a few questions based on my career path.

1. I want to do my masters in clinical psych, not so keen on doing a doctorate in that though. However I know in the UK to become a licensed clinical psychologist you have to do a doctorate in clinical psych to then be registered by the HPC (Health Professions Council). Would I be able to get anything with just a masters in Clinical Psych? Could I then go a different route like psychotherapist after a masters in clinical psych? Or should I just pick my masters in for example mental health and counselling? Psychotherapy? Basically is a masters in clinical psych worthless unless I 100% do a doctorate.

2. I’ve always wanted to study abroad. America is my top pick, and of course after I’ll come back to the UK, if I do pursue a masters in clinical psych in the USA, will this be recognised back in the UK? Or when I come back is it going to be basically worthless 😂 Or do I have to maybe to exams when I come back?

Thanks in advance !!
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by username5140364
This year I graduated with a degree in BSc psych and criminology. Which was BPS accredited. I have a few questions based on my career path.

1. I want to do my masters in clinical psych, not so keen on doing a doctorate in that though. However I know in the UK to become a licensed clinical psychologist you have to do a doctorate in clinical psych to then be registered by the HPC (Health Professions Council). Would I be able to get anything with just a masters in Clinical Psych? Could I then go a different route like psychotherapist after a masters in clinical psych? Or should I just pick my masters in for example mental health and counselling? Psychotherapy? Basically is a masters in clinical psych worthless unless I 100% do a doctorate.

2. I’ve always wanted to study abroad. America is my top pick, and of course after I’ll come back to the UK, if I do pursue a masters in clinical psych in the USA, will this be recognised back in the UK? Or when I come back is it going to be basically worthless 😂 Or do I have to maybe to exams when I come back?

Thanks in advance !!

Hi!

So firstly, you don't need a masters degree in clinical psychology in order to do the doctorate. However, you couldn't work as a Clinical Psychologist without completing training up to doctorate level. You could go into other work, such as as a psychotherapist, after completing an MSc in clinical psychology, however, this would involve further professional training in that field. Psychology and psychotherapy are 2 completely different fields, so have different training routes.

As for studying abroad, you would need to check with the BPS/HCPC to see if any training you have elsewhere would be accepted here for registration purposes.

I'm curious about why you want to do this particular masters degree if you do not wish to become a clinical psychologist. Career-wise, it may make better sense to do something else.
Beyond out of pure interest, most people take MScs in clinical psychology to stand out from the crowd when it comes to making applications for the clinical doctorate. As previously mentioned, it doesn't lead anywhere by itself. If you wanted to go down a particular psychotherapy route you would be better off just investing in that qualifcation and training, as the additional step won't add much.

Same applies to a US masters course, as that isn't going to add much to your employability in the field of psychology and doesn't allow you to practice in any way here.

Quick Reply

Latest