The Student Room Group

Can I do my teacher training in America?

Hey guys,

I want to teach history and so far, my plan is to obtain my PGCE here and teach for a couple years before a potential move to America. I am now considering moving to America to do my teacher training shortly after graduation. I know that each state has different requirements but was wondering what the best or my convenient method may be.

Thanks! :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
The US has entirely different requirements to become a (school) teacher. Normally you need a specifically accredited masters degree from a US university, as I understand it. Don't assume a PGCE will qualify you as a history teacher in the US - look up what the actual requirements are to qualify as a teacher there.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
You will need to ensure that whatever qualification you get is recognised in wherever you want to teach.
I am out of touch, but a newly qualified (uk) teacher had to do one year teaching within a set time to go from NQT (Newly Qualified Teacher) to Teacher.

I have no idea of the US system, but their system is State based, Lawyers need to qualify to be recognised at each State Bar that they want to work at. I imagine that qualified teacher status is similar.

Before you commit, you do realise that you can’t just “decide” to move? Apologies if you have a US passport or similar. Qualifying as a US teacher may not help if you end up back in the UK.
Reply 3
Original post by domonict
You will need to ensure that whatever qualification you get is recognised in wherever you want to teach.
I am out of touch, but a newly qualified (uk) teacher had to do one year teaching within a set time to go from NQT (Newly Qualified Teacher) to Teacher.

I have no idea of the US system, but their system is State based, Lawyers need to qualify to be recognised at each State Bar that they want to work at. I imagine that qualified teacher status is similar.

Before you commit, you do realise that you can’t just “decide” to move? Apologies if you have a US passport or similar. Qualifying as a US teacher may not help if you end up back in the UK.

Thank you for the answer! I am aware, hence why I am considering, not deciding.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending