The Student Room Group

The Anime Soc chat thread XXI: High school AU version

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Aiko
On the topic of Quake Live, have you seen this video for Stermy?:

[video="youtube;KE7iJ6xFcG0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE7iJ6xFcG0&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

It's by the same guy who did the one for TF2. It's pretty good, and uses a track by Pretty Lights, which makes it even more awesome. :yes:

damn what good rockets :zomg:
Reply 61
oh dear these 60s spiderman pics :laugh:

Spoiler

Reply 62
Original post by Aiko
On the topic of Quake Live, have you seen this video for Stermy?:

[video="youtube;KE7iJ6xFcG0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE7iJ6xFcG0&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

It's by the same guy who did the one for TF2. It's pretty good, and uses a track by Pretty Lights, which makes it even more awesome. :yes:

I still wish I had a laptop/ computer that was good for games. Though saying that I am terrible at computer gaming as the mouse and keyboard system disagree's with me. Now give me a set of analog sticks and I could give you a good game :P
Reply 63
Original post by Sythal
Ye the Song of Ice and Fire series is probably one of my favourite fantasy series. Did book 3 come in 2 parts or 1 for you?

Yes it did though that was by choice as the 2 parts came to £9 while the complete 3rd book was around £15 :wtf:
Reply 64
The new(ish) family computer, less than a year old was suppose to be ice and shiny for gaming, the thing now crashes most of the time and I am lucky if it takes as little as ten minutes to turn on and log on, it is depressing as we can't find the fault :rant:
Reply 65
I dont recall this music video.:lolwut:

Original post by JWH
I still wish I had a laptop/ computer that was good for games. Though saying that I am terrible at computer gaming as the mouse and keyboard system disagree's with me. Now give me a set of analog sticks and I could give you a good game :P

Being based on a 12 year old game means it has pretty low requirements.:yes: But mouse and keyboard is the only way if you want to stand a chance with the big boys.:pierre:
Reply 66
Original post by vin

Being based on a 12 year old game means it has pretty low requirements.:yes: But mouse and keyboard is the only way if you want to stand a chance with the big boys.:pierre:

The game itself is okay it's more internet connection issue's I have :tongue:. Nah mouse and keyboard suck I am pretty awesome with analogue sticks it's much less twitchy than using a mouse
Reply 67
Original post by JWH
The game itself is okay it's more internet connection issue's I have :tongue:. Nah mouse and keyboard suck I am pretty awesome with analogue sticks it's much less twitchy than using a mouse

You nee the twitch for a game like Quake.
subscribed :smile:
Reply 69
Original post by JWH

As Vin-kin said, Quake Live is a variant of its predecessor, Quake 3 Arena, a game that was originally released in 99, so you should be able to run it. :yes:

While it's possible to play the game without a mouse and keyboard, you wouldn't be able to achieve the same level of precision for aiming and movement (strafe jumping) without both.

Feel free to give it a try, the game is free. :smile:
Reply 70
Original post by vin
I dont recall this music video.:lolwut:

Haha, this looks awesome. :laugh:
Reply 71
Original post by Tabris
You nee the twitch for a game like Quake.

I find it difficult I move the mouse and it moves too far then try to compensate but the twitchyness makes it over compensate. Also with analogue sticks you can aim with one and move with the other which I rather as out of the mouse and keyboard I have a special hatred for the keyboard. The mouse I can tolerate it but the keyboard I hate. Remembering all the keys is difficult plus I always find my fingers slip and I accidentally hit the wrong key :sigh:.

None of those problems with a good controller designed to fit your hand so no slipping and it makes gaming generally much more comfortable :tongue:
Reply 72
Original post by Aiko
As Vin-kin said, Quake Live is a variant of its predecessor, Quake 3 Arena, a game that was originally released in 99, so you should be able to run it. :yes:

While it's possible to play the game without a mouse and keyboard, you wouldn't be able to achieve the same level of precision for aiming and movement (strafe jumping) without both.

Feel free to give it a try, the game is free. :smile:

You can easily do what you can with a keyboard and mouse with a controller :tongue:. Yeh you don't have some of the quick keys if your playing some of the more complicated games. But for Fps their fine and in my opinion better. Having a analogue stick for movement I find makes it easier for strafing as it's one control for all directions.

I tried making a new account on quake live the other day but it wouldn't work for some reason. The plug in for chrome kept spazing and crashing
Reply 73
Original post by JWH
I find it difficult I move the mouse and it moves too far then try to compensate but the twitchyness makes it over compensate.

You can alter the sensitivity to the decimal via the console in the game in order to feel comfortable when moving the mouse. In this respect, the game is incredibly customisable to suit your needs. :smile:
Reply 74
Original post by JWH
You can easily do what you can with a keyboard and mouse with a controller :tongue:. Yeh you don't have some of the quick keys if your playing some of the more complicated games. But for Fps their fine and in my opinion better. Having a analogue stick for movement I find makes it easier for strafing as it's one control for all directions.

I can assure you, playing with a gamepad is vastly inferior to using a mouse and keyboard. You wouldn't stand a chance in a game like Quake Live.

I tried making a new account on quake live the other day but it wouldn't work for some reason. The plug in for chrome kept spazing and crashing

Strange, consider using Firefox instead? Alternatively, this standalone client is pretty good:

http://www.qlprism.us/
Reply 75
Original post by Aiko
I can assure you, playing with a gamepad is vastly inferior to using a mouse and keyboard. You wouldn't stand a chance in a game like Quake Live.

Strange, consider using Firefox instead? Alternatively, this standalone client is pretty good:

http://www.qlprism.us/

I am in general not a fan of the mouse my hand of eye co-ordination sucks balls but my thumb to eye co-ordination is pretty good thanks to many years of console gaming and a love for halo :tongue:. Though as said it's mainly the keyboard I can't use, always find my hand constantly slips because I find having to have it hovering over the keyboard just plain uncomfortable.

Well it might be but after many attempts I do truly struggle with keyboards and mouses (the main reason I have never liked pc gaming) while I am pretty good with a controller.

I used firefox when I tried playing it before but that was on my old laptop so I don't have it on here at the mo. But I will try the client tomorrow. Don't want to do it now as I have a gig later and I don't want to erase my mind with video games :tongue:
Reply 76
Original post by JWH
I am in general not a fan of the mouse my hand of eye co-ordination sucks balls but my thumb to eye co-ordination is pretty good thanks to many years of console gaming and a love for halo :tongue:. Though as said it's mainly the keyboard I can't use, always find my hand constantly slips because I find having to have it hovering over the keyboard just plain uncomfortable.

Well it might be but after many attempts I do truly struggle with keyboards and mouses (the main reason I have never liked pc gaming) while I am pretty good with a controller.

Maybe it's more of a case of using the right mouse or keyboard. For a long time, I used an Apple mouse (yes, that's right) that was expectedly awful until I finally took the plunge and bought a dedicated gaming mouse for the game (a testament to my obsession), which has helped tremendously. :yes:

It's worth noting that I'm specifically referring to Quake Live, not any other FPS game. For this game, a mouse and keyboard is really the only option.

I used firefox when I tried playing it before but that was on my old laptop so I don't have it on here at the mo. But I will try the client tomorrow. Don't want to do it now as I have a gig later and I don't want to erase my mind with video games :tongue:

Aha, fair enough. If you do get it working, post here or chat to me on MSN. Would be good to get a few games going. My name on there is Seirei. :smile:
Reply 77
Original post by Aiko
Maybe it's more of a case of using the right mouse or keyboard. For a long time, I used an Apple mouse (yes, that's right) that was expectedly awful until I finally took the plunge and bought a dedicated gaming mouse for the game (a testament to my obsession), which has helped tremendously. :yes:

It's worth noting that I'm specifically referring to Quake Live, not any other FPS game. For this game, a mouse and keyboard is really the only option.

Aha, fair enough. If you do get it working, post here or chat to me on MSN. Would be good to get a few games going. My name on there is Seirei. :smile:

The mouse I can tolerate and I sort of see how it works (seeing you just have to click on the target) it's the keyboard that gets me. Seeing as the arrow buttons were stupidly designed to be on the right I always forget which letter keys do what and for the life of my I can never remember them. So it just results in me jumping instead of changing weapon or just walking off the map :indiff:

Well I will try and get it working though I shall test a controller for it any way in the practise area at least just out of preference :tongue:. Nothing shall ever change my love for the duel analogue sticks though , played too many console games :laugh:
Reply 78
Original post by JWH
The mouse I can tolerate and I sort of see how it works (seeing you just have to click on the target) it's the keyboard that gets me. Seeing as the arrow buttons were stupidly designed to be on the right I always forget which letter keys do what and for the life of my I can never remember them. So it just results in me jumping instead of changing weapon or just walking off the map :indiff:

Most people use WASD for movement, and the keys around it for weapon binds, but I actually prefer ESDF, as it gives me more room on my left. However, now that I've started using my gaming mouse (Deathadder), which has buttons on its side, it's become less of an issue. I could revert back to WASD, but I'm used to the latter now. Incidentally, I still use my Apple keyboard. I've become accustomed to it. :tongue:

Well I will try and get it working though I shall test a controller for it any way in the practise area at least just out of preference :tongue:. Nothing shall ever change my love for the duel analogue sticks though , played too many console games :laugh:

Haha, rather you than me. :tongue:
Reply 79
Original post by Aiko
Most people use WASD for movement, and the keys around it for weapon binds, but I actually prefer ESDF, as it gives me more room on my left. However, now that I've started using my gaming mouse (Deathadder), which has buttons on its side, it's become less of an issue. I could revert back to WASD, but I'm used to the latter now. Incidentally, I still use my Apple keyboard. I've become accustomed to it. :tongue:

Haha, rather you than me. :tongue:

I can't do either of those. As the keys are not in line of the letters when ever I press D or S for back I always constantly catch A or D. the same goes for going right to. It comes from my old use of the D pad on the ps1 and handheld games. I can sort of do WASZ or ESDX as it's closer to the correct layout but I still struggle.

Well seeing as a controller was designed for gaming and the keyboard/mouse wasn't I am willing to try it :tongue:. Also just discovered it's very easy to connect a xbox controller to a computer. You literally just plug it in

Quick Reply

Latest