The Student Room Group

The Anime Soc chat thread XXI: High school AU version

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
So does anyone watch naruto or bleach or any of the mainstream animes? I'm a huuuge fan of the popular animes. Trying to find some good other ones but can't seem to find any :frown: anyone got any suggestions? I like an anime with a really good story.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Atherilia
I know I've been extremely absent (I really do apologise been in Uganda and at uni and everything slips my mind!) But how has it taken a year and a half to not even hit 1000 posts?

How is everyone?

I'm currently at the university of Birmingham studying Sport and Exercise Science!

Hello there! :h: I hope you've been not choking your flatmates to death. :hugs:

How's the studies?

Also, you should bake more. :yep:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Old members keep disappearing, while newer members are comparatively inactive and/or also prone to disappearing - I still send out welcome PMs to two 'new members' a week on average, but I swear only 1 in 100 ever post after being accepted! The ontopic thread is a little more active (even if it's approaching its 3rd birthday), but that's also understandably slowed down after the end of the winter holiday period, despite my continuous :bump:ing.

Anyway, great to hear from you again! :biggrin: I'm relatively well, and enjoying my first weekend uninterrupted by power cuts, loss of internet or other threats to my sanity... probably shouldn't speak too soon though, as there's always tomorrow. :sadnod:

Hi AJ. :smile: Sounds like you're living in North Korea...

Here's to your sanity. :tea:
Original post by Slyca
So does anyone watch naruto or bleach or any of the mainstream animes? I'm a huuuge fan of the popular animes. Trying to find some good other ones but can't seem to find any :frown: anyone got any suggestions? I like an anime with a really good story.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is one piece of advice I'd like to give you.

I'll try to fit this advice into one piece for you.

If a woman goes to the beach, should she wear a one piece? What about men - should they wear a one piece too?

3 pieces - 2 pieces = One Piece.

ONE PIECE

Spoiler

One Piece follows the adventures of Monkey D Luffy and his crew, the Straw Hats, in their search for the ultimate treasure, coveted by Pirates all across the seas - One Piece. On the way, The Straw Hats meet a colourful cast of characters, battle deadly enemies and monsters, and travel across dangerous seas and lands.

It's one of the longest running anime ever made and broadcasted - it's still ongoing today since it was first broadcasted (I'm too tired to search for the exact start date) years ago.

I guarantee you won't be displeased, especially if you're a fan of Naruto and Bleach.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 984
Original post by Kagutsuchi
There is one piece of advice I'd like to give you.

I'll try to fit this advice into one piece for you.

If a woman goes to the beach, should she wear a one piece? What about men - should they wear a one piece too?

3 pieces - 2 pieces = One Piece.

ONE PIECE

Spoiler

One Piece follows the adventures of Monkey D Luffy and his crew, the Straw Hats, in their search for the ultimate treasure, coveted by Pirates all across the seas - One Piece. On the way, The Straw Hats meet a colourful cast of characters, battle deadly enemies and monsters, and travel across dangerous seas and lands.

It's one of the longest running anime ever made and broadcasted - it's still ongoing today since it was first broadcasted (I'm too tired to search for the exact start date) years ago.

I guarantee you won't be displeased, especially if you're a fan of Naruto and Bleach.

Yep I am currently also watching that xD, anything else?
Reply 985
Original post by Slyca

Posted from TSR Mobile

Death Note
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Code Geass
Attack on Titan
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Black Lagoon
Eureka Seven
Cowboy Bebop
Baccano!
Durarara!!
Shiki

.......actually here's my Top 50, I'm a fan of mainstream stuff so something is bound to appeal to you
Reply 986
Original post by caraniel
Death Note
Code Geass
Attack on Titan
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Black Lagoon
Eureka Seven
Cowboy Bebop
Baccano!
Durarara!!
Shiki

.......actually here's my Top 50, I'm a fan of mainstream stuff so something is bound to appeal to you

I read your top 50 although I would disagree with your order LOL. Ive watched most of those that you listed right now. I could not really get into Eureka Seven :frown:. Ive never heard of shiki or durarara though. Ill go find out :smile:. Is hunter x hunter any good???
Reply 987
Original post by Slyca
I read your top 50 although I would disagree with your order LOL. Ive watched most of those that you listed right now. I could not really get into Eureka Seven :frown:. Ive never heard of shiki or durarara though. Ill go find out :smile:. Is hunter x hunter any good???

Yes well top 50 lists are highly personal by definition, I would never expect anyone to 100% agree with me! lol

Shiki is awesome - gruesome and tough going at times, but oh so excellently written. Drrr!! is also brilliantly written and directed and has wonderfully entertaining characters.

Hunter x Hunter is one of the very best shows currently airing - it is up there with One Piece as a shounen show that only improves as the episode count climbs.
Reply 988
Yes well top 50 lists are highly personal by definition, I would never expect anyone to 100% agree with me! lol

Shiki is awesome - gruesome and tough going at times, but oh so excellently written. Drrr!! is also brilliantly written and directed and has wonderfully entertaining characters.

Hunter x Hunter is one of the very best shows currently airing - it is up there with One Piece as a shounen show that only improves as the episode count climbs.

But how well is the story? I mean so far shingeki no kyujin has the best plot out of anime I have watched. I want something to make me feel so pissed off when the anime has ended. Do you guarantee that these anime will make me feel like that :P
Reply 989
Original post by Slyca
But how well is the story? I mean so far shingeki no kyujin has the best plot out of anime I have watched. I want something to make me feel so pissed off when the anime has ended. Do you guarantee that these anime will make me feel like that :P

Shiki has a complete story to tell - personally it dragged me through an emotional wringer, but it isn't to everyone's taste as it very much a horror series and is a slow burn to start with.

Drrr!! is an easier sell - the characters are engaging, the separate plot threads all inter-weave in a really satisfying way and you are really looking for more by the end. The light novels are also excellent, so I am certain one day Brains Base will make a sequel.

Hunter x Hunter is just brilliant though. Fantastic setting, wonderfully developed characters and truly engaging and wonderfully written, well thought out plot arcs. It looks like a bog standard shounen show from the outside, but is so multi-layered and lovingly put together that it puts other similar shows to shame.
Have converted half of my flatmates into anime lovers after forcing them to watch the first episode of Death Note.

They have some catching up to do.
Death Note
Code Geass
Attack on Titan
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Black Lagoon
Eureka Seven
Cowboy Bebop
Baccano!
Durarara!!
Shiki

I like your list, are they in true order? Im surprised you place HxH so low!

What do you think of: Blood lad, Kill la Kill, Berserk?
Reply 992
Original post by Apocrypha
I like your list, are they in true order? Im surprised you place HxH so low!

What do you think of: Blood lad, Kill la Kill, Berserk?

It was in true order as of Oct 2013 - it is due another redo in a couple months. HxH will move up - the Chimera Ant arc has been wonderful.

I didn't like Blood Lad, all very standard and boring. Pacing was all over the place and didn't have any real point to it given the short run time. It probably shouldn't have gotten an anime when there was so little source material to adapt - there is potential in the setting and characters, but the anime was just messy.

Kill la Kill is one of the best shows airing right now - has all of Imaishi's signature style and energy, and now the plot is really coming into its own. Unless it shoots itself in the foot, I can't see Kill la Kill failing to impress.

Berserk is a must-see. I'd probably say watch the three Golden Age movies since the animation upgrades really help the series, but the TV show is also excellent. I don't have it in my top 50 because I think it has some pacing issues and I'm not all that emotionally attached to the characters. This is probably because I originally watched the TV series with a group of anibloggers and we did nothing but take the piss.......the epic love triangle of Guts x Griffith x Gut's Sword is one for the ages! I'd imagine watching it in the peace of your own company would give a different experience. Certainly watching the movies solo gave me a better appreciation of the story.
Reply 993
Hello there! :h: I hope you've been not choking your flatmates to death. :hugs:

How's the studies?

Also, you should bake more. :yep:

You'll be glad to hear that my flatmates are all still very much alive :smile:
Studies are going well thank you!
Are you referring to the lemon meringue pie I had? :colone:
Reply 994

Frillybo :h:

Where is my lemon meringue pie :cry2:
Reply 995
Original post by Dilzo999
On the bright side, you don't need your legs to watch anime :biggrin:. Jokes aside that almost happened to me once luckily I escaped :smile:, get well soon.

Aha, indeed. It's one of the few things I actually can do when elevating my foot. :giggle:

Thanks. :smile:

Original post by AngryJellyfish
Ouch. :s-smilie: Get well soon, indeed!

Yeah, pretty painful. Thanks, AJ. :smile:

Oh ouch! Hopefully if you keep the weight off it and avoid jarring the healing fracture it will mend faster. Feel better soon.

Yeah, that's what the nurse told me. It's a lot better than it was, but it's difficult to tell how much because I'm relying a lot on codeine to get through my day. :sadnod:

Aiko,

Sounds pretty nasty for it to take that long to heal, foot fractures are obviously quite difficult to heal. I wish you a speedy recovery!

At uni at the moment and I have elected to take Beginners Japanese as a module outside of my main discipline. Proving to be a lot of fun!

Hi Cay, nice to see that you're posting again. Hope all is well and good luck with the Japanese module. If you need any help, do not hesitate to ask. :smile:

And yeah, that's the annoying part of having a physical injury, the time it takes to heal. :frown:

Ouch. :frown: I hope you get better soon, and that your crutches aren't too troubling. :smile: On the bright side, you can still workout your upper body - rowing, maybe, isn't out of the question?

It's quite amazing how the human body/mind works, with regard to you not noticing you had a serious fracture. My First Aid colleague once told me about a time when he was on duty at a rock concert and came across a guy who had a torn finger which was hanging on by just a few threads of skin. The guy didn't even realise - he was just complaining about a sore wrist... :K: He, of course, raised hell when he looked down.

Yeah, it's something I'm hoping to do in a few weeks. As someone who is usually very active, it's been difficult to remain idle. :sadnod:

Indeed, the impact was obviously incredibly painful, but I didn't realise to what extent until I went to the hospital. Your colleague's injury sounds awful. A few threads of skin? Ugh!
Reply 996
Original post by Juno
Frillybo :h:

Where is my lemon meringue pie :cry2:

Sorry Juno, my flat gobbled it right up!
It was in true order as of Oct 2013 - it is due another redo in a couple months. HxH will move up - the Chimera Ant arc has been wonderful.

I didn't like Blood Lad, all very standard and boring. Pacing was all over the place and didn't have any real point to it given the short run time. It probably shouldn't have gotten an anime when there was so little source material to adapt - there is potential in the setting and characters, but the anime was just messy.

Kill la Kill is one of the best shows airing right now - has all of Imaishi's signature style and energy, and now the plot is really coming into its own. Unless it shoots itself in the foot, I can't see Kill la Kill failing to impress.

Berserk is a must-see. I'd probably say watch the three Golden Age movies since the animation upgrades really help the series, but the TV show is also excellent. I don't have it in my top 50 because I think it has some pacing issues and I'm not all that emotionally attached to the characters. This is probably because I originally watched the TV series with a group of anibloggers and we did nothing but take the piss.......the epic love triangle of Guts x Griffith x Gut's Sword is one for the ages! I'd imagine watching it in the peace of your own company would give a different experience. Certainly watching the movies solo gave me a better appreciation of the story.

I thought the same about Blood Lad, I did enjoy it even though its quite a short anime.

I think Kill La Kill is the best recent anime ive watched since Titans.

I only watched Berserk recently as there was a League of Legends dub to it with Garen and Katarina.
*tries to change A-P signature*

*crashes site*

*repeats 10+ times*

*sig still unchanged*

:mad:

[EDIT] Meh, that'll do for now. Way more jpeg artifacts on that version of the image than the one I was trying to upload, but at least it worked.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Aiko

Yeah, it's something I'm hoping to do in a few weeks. As someone who is usually very active, it's been difficult to remain idle. :sadnod:

Indeed, the impact was obviously incredibly painful, but I didn't realise to what extent until I went to the hospital. Your colleague's injury sounds awful. A few threads of skin? Ugh!

Oh no, it was the casualty my colleague was first-aiding who had the dangly finger. :yes: I'm kind of jealous I didn't get to see it, to be honest. First aiding for me is usually boring drunks or strains/sprains.

You'll get back into your fitness routine soon enough. Sometimes it's nice to have a little break and start over in order to feel that nice sore pain again.

Of course I am. :drool: Such a deliciously looking thing it was too.

You should bake more and FB it all. :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest