The Student Room Group

Edexcel Maths A level

I want to take a level maths but I was wondering how big is the jump from GCSE.
how difficult is a level maths?
What did you get in gcse maths and a level maths?
Thanks
Reply 1
a level maths is not difficult if you have the aptitude, but still involves a huge amount of work right from the get-go
Reply 2
For C1 (the first core maths unit you do) it just eases you in gently, introducing a few new topics but mostly building on work from GCSE. The rest of the core units just build upon this.

For the applied modules (statistics, decision and mechanics) you'll probably do 2 but it depends on your school. Decision will be completely new to you but creative people seem to be good at it. Statisics most people find easy, mechanics was the hardest for me, if you're good at physics then you should be good at this!

I'm doing Edexcel and I've just finished AS. So far I've been getting As and Bs (remember you can't get an A* in the individual modules, only overall) and at GCSE I got an A*
Reply 3
Be prepared to work hard and you will do well. I wouldn't recommend maths A-level unless you achieve an A* or A at GCSE. I have seen people with A's at GCSE getting E's at A-level. My advice? Practice and NEVER hesitate to ask for help when you don't understand a principle!

If you want a good head-start, ask what specification the college uses, and teach yourself!

Edit: sorry didnt realise it was edexcel, buy this and you'll be fine, many people have got A's using this:

http://is01.thegumtree.com/image/big/131995585.jpg
(edited 11 years ago)
Statistics was unbearable for me.
Mechanics looks tricky from what I've seen.
C1 wasn't too bad
C2 was more fun, but had tricker modules
C3... I hope you like graphs :awesome:
I haven't done C4 yet, and I'm not doing D1 so I can't give an opinion on those.

Overall I would say the gap isn't all that bad but the workload is just so much heavier. I got A for GCSE Maths and in January I got a D for S1 (but I hated S1). Going by the SR mark scheme for C1/2 I think I have got BB-AA in May.

I wouldn't really say that it's hard, but you need to be passionate for numbers to excel in the subject. It can get really tricky so stay on top, do all the questions in the book (understand it too) and you will do well.

Quick Reply

Latest